help me transfer music from my iPhone to new PC

Apparently I suck at technology and am fed up and frustrated and at this point desperate for some help.

My old MacBook from 2009 had all my music on it and was synced with my iphone. That piece of garbage barely worked and somehow I managed to sync my current iPhone 6 to it whenever I first got it. I finally bought a new computer this year (surface pro 4) so I would like to transfer what little music I have on this iPhone to my new computer before syncing it and erasing everything. If I have to I'll erase it and start over but I figured I'd check to see if anyone here has had any experience with this kind of thing.

I've been using Spotify for the past few years just so I wouldn't have to deal with the hassle of downloading music on my piece of shit slow ass MacBook.

I've looked into software like sharepod and similar programs but they all look sketchy AF and cost a lot of money.

I also bought an external hard drive (when I got my new computer) to transfer my music from my old MacBook to my new computer but I couldn't get it to boot up.

Oh well.

If I'm better off erasing it and starting fresh let me know.

I've never done this myself, but it looks like SharePod is the way to go. Doesn't look sketchy to me as some well-known websites have mentioned it. Just make sure you download from their website directly and you'll be okay.

https://www.getsharepod.com

That seems to be the website. I'm not sure if it costs money or if there's a free version of it available.

As for the HDD, I found this. Just make sure to store your HDD files (if you have any) elsewhere before continuing. I'm not sure if you mean it didn't recognize it or if you just didn't know how to continue with the set up. If the latter, then this link should help.

http://m.wikihow.com/Connect-External-Hard-Drive-to-Macbook-Pro

If you still have some issues, Rambo might be the go-to guy for you ((automatron)). Dude knows his tech.

Pull the old hard drive out of your Mac, and toss it in an external enclosure and grab the files off of it. You might need to use a VM, since I'm not sure Windows can read the Mac drive type. 

I downloaded sharepod but it wouldn't really work until you paid for it. I think its $20, I may go that route of its legit.

I don't know how to throw the hardrive from my MacBook into an external enclosure or what a VM is. I guess I could google it. Sounds like expensive stuff I need to buy.

That's (one of) my problem(s) with tech. There's always something else you have to buy lol.

I figured buying an external hard drive and a new computer would be enough...

External enclosures are cheap, like less than $20.

Hmm. I think I'm going to try this. I will be attempting to take the files from a Mac hard drive and access them from my Windows PC so I think I will need to download some software to be able to read the files.

Just ordered an enclosure from Amazon.