Who to support: your indie bands, or your indie record stores?

I hadn't seen this discussed here before.

My local store is struggling.   The owner is much cooler than his clientele I think.  For example, he currently has prominently displayed the Tim Hecker LP and the Explosions In The Sky LP, both on cool colored vinyl of some kind.  I don't think he has sold a copy of either of them.

He knows I enjoy this music, and he scolded me for buying from places like Amazon rather than from stores like his.  I explained that while I do buy a lot on Amazon, i also buy a lot directly from artists and their indie record labels.  In fact, I pre-ordered both of these LPs at high prices online directly from the labels.

We couldn't decide who was more deserving of my support: indie stores, or indie labels and artists.

Thoughts? 

There's only one record store in my city that sells new releases. I check in there a couple times a year and most of his stuff is so insanely over priced that I just can't afford to support him. The average album is at least $10 more than anywhere online. 

The craziest price I've seen is on that NOFX 7" box set. I got the coloured version for around $100 Canadian and he had the less limited gold version for $250!

edit: I checked and had the price wrong. The box set from Fat Wreck was $120 US, not that it changes much.

There's only one record store in my city that sells new releases. I check in there a couple times a year and most of his stuff is so insanely over priced that I just can't afford to support him. The average album is at least $10 more than anywhere online. 

The craziest price I've seen is on that NOFX 7" box set. I got the coloured version for around $100 Canadian and he had the less limited gold version for $250!

Damn, wiish I could find the box for $100 canadian now :c

Depends how much longer you want your indie store to be around. My local store just doesn't stock the kind of thing I want to buy, so I don't tend to give them any custom any more. I'll buy stuff from indie labels/touring artists if I catch them live but if I miss something then I'd try my local stores before going online.

I'm lucky with my local store so I always buy from there. Same prices as amazon and used records are always much lower than new. He prices usually 10% lower than discogs median depending on condition.

Speaking of that NOFX box, they had a colored one for $100 a few months ago which sold instantly.

I'd like to always buy from my local, but they are very hit or miss on new releases. To help with that I submitted titles to them to "preorder" for me. Some showed up, some didn't. It got to the point where it was easier to order from Amazon, due to consistency.

As far as store vs label/band, I would say the product and shipping determines that more than anything. If I feel like I really want the mail order exclusive and shipping is not bad then I'll order from the label band, but if I don't care about exclusive or price is insane (extra $5 for PVC dye/outrageous shipping) I'll order from shop or Amazon.

I live in Los Angeles so there are a ton of record stores here.  A majority of them charge $5-10 more than online prices, with a select few that will charge you $40+ for represses of classic rock bands.  The last handful of records I've bought from a shop were at Permanent Records in Highland Park and Amoeba in Hollywood.  

I live in a rather remote area, so I have no local shops. I order a lot of my stuff online, and when I do go to the bigger record stores in Tampa or Orlando, the prices seem to be getting higher and higher. I know it's hard for brick and mortar nowadays, but it doesn't help when EVERYTHING (usually) at the tip of your fingertips with amazon, ebay, and indie merch shops online. I also try to buy a copy of a record if I see a band live.

A mix between local independent store, label/bands directly and online stores. If something is pretty much guaranteed to go quick or has no chance of making it to the UK then I'll always go direct to band/label. If it's something new and not super difficult to get (although I am surprised every now and then) my local can usually preorder it for me. If it's something easy to get and amazon or ebay sellers are selling it super cheap then of course I'll buy from there.

You do get weird anomalies that can't help local retailers too. A good example of this: It was cheaper for me to buy the Explosions In The Sky webstore variant including shipped to the UK than it is to be the UK variant instore here.

My main local shop sells everything as low as possible. Those Discord records that say "This record is $12 directly from our mail order" or whatever are actually $12. They even tell me when they think a record is too fuckin' expensive and usually say "We barely marked this up because list price was absurd".

They also make six months rent on RSD, so that helps with year-round prices.

Edit: I'm also that guy at shows who buys a copy of everything from every band on vinyl and stands in the back to keep my shit from getting destroyed.

I think about this all the time. There's two stores in Madison that I go to. I mainly get stuff used there since they price things really well. They don't really get the new records I want which sucks, and if they do it's like up to 3-4 weeks after it's release date sometimes. For example, when the latest Joyce Manor LP came out two years ago, not a single store in Madison had it until 3 weeks after it came out. That shit drives me crazy and kinda hurts themselves. However, I'll take day-trips to Milwaukee for Exclusive Company which is pretty much a godsend of a record store that has every record you'll ever want and it's priced at the same rate as Amazon.

If I know a band's going on tour on a new record that I want I almost always wait to get the record directly from the band. They'll usually have a cool variant, it's good to support the band directly, etc.

I think about this all the time. There's two stores in Madison that I go to. I mainly get stuff used there since they price things really well. They don't really get the new records I want which sucks, and if they do it's like up to 3-4 weeks after it's release date sometimes. For example, when the latest Joyce Manor LP came out two years ago, not a single store in Madison had it until 3 weeks after it came out. That shit drives me crazy and kinda hurts themselves. However, I'll take day-trips to Milwaukee for Exclusive Company which is pretty much a godsend of a record store that has every record you'll ever want and it's priced at the same rate as Amazon.

If I know a band's going on tour on a new record that I want I almost always wait to get the record directly from the band. They'll usually have a cool variant, it's good to support the band directly, etc.

You should go to the Exclusive in Janesville, it's a little closer.  I do agree with you about new stuff in Madison.  I stopped to pick something up, and they said, we got one copy of it.  

There are two nearby record stores who have a decent selection of newer albums, though pretty hit and miss depending on how obscure the artist is.  Both range in terms of super competitive prices to $5-10 more than elsewhere.  One is in a trendy part of town so the new stuff that comes out is gone pretty quickly and then the other is more likely to have it.  For me it totally just depends.  I like supporting the local shops, but I like supporting the artists directly as well, so I try to make it a mix bag, though admittedly order way more from the artists and labels than I do pick up in stores.  With that said, most of what I'm after I would rarely find in the two shops nearest me.

You should go to the Exclusive in Janesville, it's a little closer.  I do agree with you about new stuff in Madison.  I stopped to pick something up, and they said, we got one copy of it.  

I actually run down there all the time. The selection is comparatively solid to Milwaukee. Planning on going there for RSD later in the day.

If you have to choose only one, I'd say the artists and labels. They directly create and produce the music, and without them there wouldn't be a shop anyway. I love browsing record stores and I miss the old days when I lived close to one and went there at least weekly. But I think retailers unfortunately have to figure out how to roll with the changes.