PO Now: Cliff Martinez - The Neon Demon OST

5 minutes ago, docbronze said:

How can IDIB afford to sell these at $17? That is crazy cheap. It's half as much as the label is selling them.

IDIB manages to sell things affordably, autograph tons of stuff, and send people occasional free records because they are an awesome label that doesn't exist solely to squeeze the maximum profit out of every release. they still make money, but the vinyl boom has conditioned people into thinking that a piece of plastic wrapped in paper is somehow worthy of the obscene costs that many records are currently selling for. 

1 minute ago, WAXXX said:

IDIB manages to sell things affordably, autograph tons of stuff, and send people occasional free records because they are an awesome label that doesn't exist solely to squeeze the maximum profit out of every release. they still make money, but the vinyl boom has conditioned people into thinking that a piece of plastic wrapped in paper is somehow worthy of the obscene costs that many records are currently selling for. 

Not to be glib (I appreciate the response), but no shit. I understand how IDIB does business. My question is what is the actual markup here? Were these a gift? Scratch n dents to be had on the very cheap? If not, the markup on these records was enormous. Presumably IDIB are making some profit here even if it's only a few bucks, but are we really paying $35 for a record that cost $10-15 per unit?

Yes. Several labels sell records for $12-$16 dollars for LPs of music. Most don't. But, it's not because those few labels with good prices have some crazy "in" at the plants. They are just choosing to sell at a fair price, instead of maxxxing their profit in obscene ways.

IDIB is not the only one with pricing like this on their stuff, it's just that the majority of labels and shops are selling things at a markup that brings average vinyl price to $30 and they get away with it because we are all dumb suckers.

40 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

yes. and oftentimes less. also, you are glib.

Fair point.

34 minutes ago, rooks said:

Yes. Several labels sell records for $12-$16 dollars for LPs of music. Most don't. But, it's not because those few labels with good prices have some crazy "in" at the plants. They are just choosing to sell at a fair price, instead of maxxxing their profit in obscene ways.

IDIB is not the only one with pricing like this on their stuff, it's just that the majority of labels and shops are selling things at a markup that brings average vinyl price to $30 and they get away with it because we are all dumb suckers.

This is more in line with what I am wondering about. I know plenty of labels sell cheaper vinyl because I buy it, but there are loads of things to take into account. For Milan, they have extremely nice packaging, are colored vinyl pressed at a good plant, they have to license both the music from the composer/studio and the image and naming rights for a studio since they are not a traditional label with a roster of bands. Then there are the costs of new, original art that a lot of companies like Milan commission not to mention the fact that their packaging is superior to a lot of (not all) budget labels. And pressing numbers. Anyhow, I expect to pay a premium for thing like this, but I was truly stunned to see IDIB selling 200 copies of this record, new, at half price. That is wild to me. When Mondo had these for sale they were $36! I never expected the profit margin to be quite that...robust.

The other thing is that this isn't an IDIB record, it's a Milan release. A release that has been $32-36 everywhere I've seen it with one exception: IDIB at $17. That is an oddity. I can't think of a current release at least a dozen other stores, label included, sold for twice as much as another store that was merely distributing it. 

Edited by docbronze

It is different than the typical, for sure. It's also tough to compare to soundtracks for the reasons you mentioned. It's totally possible IDIB has an in with Refn's people because of their prior work together, it's also possible that Johnny is selling these at cost or a small loss just to get the word out there and support something he likes, which sounds like a Johnny thing to do.

29 minutes ago, aellerton said:

My copy from IDIB came in today - looks great, getting ready to spin. Also got a bunch of posters and a CD. Not bad for $22ppd. I wish I had caught the Bronson OST from there.

IDIB always sends some extra goodies. I usually get CD or download copies of all the vinyl I order and oftentimes for albums that I didn't.

7 minutes ago, docbronze said:

IDIB always sends some extra goodies. I usually get CD or download copies of all the vinyl I order and oftentimes for albums that I didn't.

Very cool of them. I through it was just packaging to keep the record in place, but it was four folded movie posters. Will definitely order from them again.

• 5 months later...

Ok, now this is fucking cool:

6436322.JPG?636192075681785929

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/24539664/the-wicked-die-young-the-wicked-die-young-colored-vinyl-2lp-180gram-vinyl

The Wicked Die Young is a companion album curated by director Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, The Neon Demon). The fourteen tracks represent the various ideas he had while working on the film The Neon Demon. Selections include tracks from Giorgio Moroder, Pino Donaggio and Amanda Lear as well as new music from Electric Youth, Julian Winding and The Neon Demon’s composer Cliff Martinez.

1    Good Blood – By Electric Youth
2    Won’t Somebody Dance With Me - By Lynsey de Paul
3    Cheree (1998 Remastered Version) - By Suicide
4    Homicide - By 999
5    Pirate Love - By Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers
6    (Theme From) Valley of the Dolls - By Dionne Warwick
7    Bubble Sex – By Tommy Seebach
8    Follow Me - By Amanda Lear

1    Knights In White Satin - By Giorgio Moroder
2    The No. 1 Song In Heaven - By Sparks
3    Becoming - By Cliff Martinez
4    Dressed to Kill (Pulsion) (1980): The Shower (Theme from Dressed to Kill) - By Pino Donaggio
5    End Of A Myth – By Claudio Gizzi
6    When You Want To Hurt Someone - By Julian Winding

• 2 years later...