PO now: Gates - Parallel Lives

57 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

New song is okay...  I have a feeling I'll like it more in time.  I dig the bridge with the speed-picked guitar line.  Habit is wayyyy more my thing, though.  Love that song to death.  

to me, each song is very similar to the next. from album 1 to before this one. but they're slowly morphing. I think you liked Habit because of classic gates sound. this new one, even if meh to the naked ear, is what I've been wanting as a fan. 

@Gumbo72203

They released a debut EP, a split with Whirr and two studio albums (with the second one coming out this Friday). They evolve their sound, but there's not much of a departure, so I'd say just start anywhere, the discography isn't huge. It's shoegazy, angsty, grungy indie rock/post-punk. 

• 3 weeks later...

listened to it fully now

don't know how I feel about the album yet, the overal tone is kind of depressing (sure sure: emo). It has its catchy moments, though i dont see myself singing out loud like with bloom&breathe

anyway hope the vinyl arrives soon :)

Update: Im feeling more confident about the album now, hope you will like it as well!

Edited by joneboon

10 minutes ago, Snaggle Von Swift said:

One full listen through and it definitely didn't grab me like Bloom & Breathe did. It's good, just not as good (to me)

it gets better! definitely needs more than one listen

"Eyes" is the best song imo

even though i love bloom&breathe im glad they did something else for this album, excited for the future of this band

8 minutes ago, andables said:

a lot more polished and more mellow than their previous stuff. I get all the same feels I got the first few times I listened to the Owel self-titled.

Seriously took the words out of my mouth.  Definitely got Owel vibes here.  Especially on "Penny".

I am actually surprised how much I've loved this first time through.  Usually more subdued/lush sounding albums don't hit me that much, but I was real impressed with this first time through.  Obviously, I won't be able to fully gauge how I feel until I let it settle after several listens, but I'm already really stoked to listen again.  And damn does Kevin's voice impress on "Fade".  At times that didn't even sound like him.  Very polished vocals there.