PO now: Gates - Parallel Lives

I really like this record, but there are a few things which struck me upon listening.  The first being that this is no longer a 3-guitar band.  So many of these tracks lack a defining standout guitar lick, or guitar interplay the way their first 2 albums had.  Now, perhaps this is so that Kevin can focus solely on singing, who knows.  Maybe seeing the tunes live will shed some light on this, with lots more layering and subdued background parts being performed.  That, and maybe another listen because I spun it last night fairly quietly as I was winding down for the night.  But that was my first main thought, correct or not.  

I also found I liked the 2nd half of the record better than the first, the last few tracks are fucking awesome.  "Left Behind" is one of my early favorites of the new tracks to be discovered that we didn't get a preview of.  It's more upbeat, but still chill and laid back.  This song absolutely rules.  

If they write songs like this, in the future, that combine a big slam-dunk peak riff the way "Not My Blood" has.... oh man, watch out.  

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I really like this record, but there are a few things which struck me upon listening.  The first being that this is no longer a 3-guitar band.  So many of these tracks lack a defining standout guitar lick, or guitar interplay the way their first 2 albums had.  Now, perhaps this is so that Kevin can focus solely on singing, who knows.  Maybe seeing the tunes live will shed some light on this, with lots more layering and subdued background parts being performed.  That, and maybe another listen because I spun it last night fairly quietly as I was winding down for the night.  But that was my first main thought, correct or not.  

I also found I liked the 2nd half of the record better than the first, the last few tracks are fucking awesome.  "Left Behind" is one of my early favorites of the new tracks to be discovered that we didn't get a preview of.  It's more upbeat, but still chill and laid back.  This song absolutely rules.  

If they write songs like this, in the future, that combine a big slam-dunk peak riff the way "Not My Blood" has.... oh man, watch out.  

I think "Left Behind" & "Eyes" both have "Not My Blood"-esque climactic moments at the end.  I think live those songs will destroy.

12 hours ago, mrewest said:

I think "Left Behind" & "Eyes" both have "Not My Blood"-esque climactic moments at the end.  I think live those songs will destroy.

Left Behind kind of does, but what I'm missing is that real heavy low-end slamming aspect.  But you're right, they will probably develop into monsters live with the extra energy.  

Unfortunately it looks like my tickets for the Boston show will be for naught....  my dad wants to go to the Mets game that day with my brother and I.  And it's Fathers Day.  grrr

19 minutes ago, rickydenim said:

I haven't received a download yet. Just checked the site and can't find anywhere to download it from??

they include it with the vinyl, but the Habit song you got as pre-order download also has the same problem as the screen shot above. A lot gets cut off at 16K, meaning more like a 128kbps rip than a 320kbps rip. Here is an example of a good 320rip and a "fake" 320rip, like the download from merchnow.

mp37.jpg

Edited by joneboon

1 hour ago, roadmonkey said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 320 kbps rip of the 192 kbps web stream that they probably upload to sites

That usually happens with download sites, though this "fake" 320rip comes directly from MerchNow, so everyone that has downloaded it from there has a crappy quality. Unless you actually have the CD and can make a proper rip. Hope someone could do that :)

Edited by joneboon

Just got my package today.  They sent me a free shirt I think....  I don't remember ordering a shirt....   and 2 extra CDs I have never even heard of that I definitely didn't order lol.

Spinning the Orange Crush variant right now.  It's basically a translucent orange with a verrrrrry faint lighter orange haze in the middle.  Pressing is really fucking good, it was absolutely silent when I put my needle down.  Sound quality is good, but it's suffering from the same drawback as Shy, Low's "Hiraeth" in the hi-hat sound...  they're wayyy too bright and sibilant-sounding.  very ssssss-y.  Everything else sounds great, and Kevin's voice is pretty much perfectly mixed and very front-and-center.  The heavy parts hit you pretty hard with this material because of how low-key it is.  Kind of wished they warned us about this :P  

Not going to top Bloom & Breathe, but this is a different monster.  I'm missing all the guitar riffs.  They're replaced by synth bleeps and blips.  Which is kind of cool and interesting.  Maybe it will grow on me.  It's not bad by any means.  But I like my Gates aggressive and meaty.  The synths in Shiver that sound like bouncing balls are kind of interesting though haha.  It sounds like a Shpongle record.  

Listened on Spotify earlier today, and I was holding out ordering till I saw how I liked it. Needless to say I couldn't stop playing it, it's incredible! Not going to best BnB but it's definitely a grower with lots of potential. Will be orderingwhen I can.

This new direction really reminds me of some other great bands changing up their sound pacing recently. ie the newest albums by Pianos Become the Teeth and Foxing. Both great and this is too.

Edited by JRHews

i dont know maybe this album will be more of a grower, but first listen through I miss the eclectic nature of BaB...i dont mind the shift in tone, but it seems a bit more formulaic and restrained, the last few tricks pick it up a bit however, we will see.  I love the EP's so much, Im not sure they will top them