PO now: Gates - Parallel Lives

1 hour ago, highfives said:

They did a great job on the packaging for the release.  The screened slip cover is well done. I didn't know it would be hand numbered though, which is a nice touch.

Kind of a silly question, but do you have any pics? Still deciding between this and the splatter.

Surprised that blood splatter (and the screen print!) are still around.

55 minutes ago, deer said:

Kind of a silly question, but do you have any pics? Still deciding between this and the splatter.

Surprised that blood splatter (and the screen print!) are still around.

Here you go.  The screen print is a slipcase that goes over the regular jacket.  I feel like that's a lot nicer than something like the Moving Mountains Pneuma screen print, where it was just a piece of paper.

afK8joW.jpg

KFKVQwu.jpg

nKzlVp5.jpg

On 6/4/2016 at 0:17 AM, shamrocks said:

i dont know maybe this album will be more of a grower, but first listen through I miss the eclectic nature of BaB...i dont mind the shift in tone, but it seems a bit more formulaic and restrained, the last few tricks pick it up a bit however, we will see.  I love the EP's so much, Im not sure they will top them

Yeah, I feel you here man.  A lot of the tracks on Parallel Lives are kind of samey in terms of structure and format.  There are only a few tracks that have any standout, center-piece guitar parts to them, which is very odd.  Some tracks, Kevin doesn't even play guitar on, when you look through the lyrics (it lists all instrumentation per track, which is very cool).  

I'm with you too on You Are All You Have Left To Fear...  that thing is absolutely perfect.  Every song is a hit.  

3 hours ago, deer said:

Oops. I decided I wanted the blood splatter tonight but found out it was sold out when I checked. That's awkward.

If anyone wants to get rid of theirs, sell or trade it to me. I'll buy.

Europe store still has it! 

https://www.shopjxr.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PNE189-LP-CLEAR-RED-SPLT&CartID=1

though why not the black version? 180grams for the same price...

Just opened my copy that I got from my local shop and was pretty surprised to find the orange crush variant /600 instead of the least limited white with splatter in there. Not a huge fan of white or heavy splatter, so it's safe to say that I'm happy about that.

IMG_0878_zps3dchss6y.jpg

Edited by Eliminator Jr.

2 hours ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

Just opened my copy that I got from my local shop and was pretty surprised to find the orange crush variant /600 instead of the least limited white with splatter in there. Not a huge fan of white or heavy splatter, so it's safe to say that I'm happy about that.

IMG_0878_zps3dchss6y.jpg

Definitely my favorite of the variants.

Yeah I really wish I went with the more limited variants here because they look cooler.  My orange crush vinyl sounds amazing, but the look of it is nothing like the mockup, which ruled.  Lesson learned:  ALWAYS go most limited.  Always.  

Still, the orange crush sounds phenomenal if you guys want a listening conpy

I finally got a chance to spin this. I'm sure other people don't feel the same, but this record is really boring. Not nearly as good as "The Sun Will Rise" or "You Are All You Have".It all just sounded flat and uninteresting. Maybe after more spins I will feel differently, though I don't feel much motivation to put it on again. Already filed it away.

On 6/10/2016 at 6:14 PM, lexicondevil said:

I finally got a chance to spin this. I'm sure other people don't feel the same, but this record is really boring. Not nearly as good as "The Sun Will Rise" or "You Are All You Have".It all just sounded flat and uninteresting. Maybe after more spins I will feel differently, though I don't feel much motivation to put it on again. Already filed it away.

I can see how you would feel this way.  As far as instrumentation goes, this album is nothing like any of their previous works.  There are no big riffs, no big guitar hooks, or anything really like that at all.  It's a different approach, more song-based and focusing solely on Kevin's vocals.  And I'm not a vocals guy....  even though I do love his voice.  I listen to bands chiefly for the instrumentation, and the vocals basically frame it or add some kind of dynamic context for me.  

The one thing I really DO like though, is the inclusion of the electronic elements like in Habit.  If they can find a way to couple that with the gorgeous riffing that we know they are capable of, these guys will be next-level.  I like this album, but it doesn't move their sound forward.  We'll see how that changes over time, and how the material translates live.  

I saw a lot of "boring" or "less interesting than Bloom & Breathe/their EPs" comments before I listened to the album and it really dulled my expectations. After listening to it, I can see how people might interpret this album as 'boring' in the same way that Foxing's Dealer was 'boring'... it doesn't quite have the energy that their previous work had, but that definitely didn't stop it from impacting me. It's a lot more subtle, in a way.

I can't really organize my thoughts on this album very well, and I don't wanna sound pretentious or just trying to disagree with everything, but... I honestly like this album a lot, so far it's impacting me emotionally more than Bloom & Breathe ever did. I have not listened to their EPs though so I am not an experienced Gates fan.

House & Home is one of my favorite songs this year overall. Penny and Left Behind are really damn good, too. I found a blood splatter from someone and I can't wait to get it in.

It's okay to like the album, man.  Haha.  Totally fine thing to do.  You aren't any less of a human.  

But holy shit, you haven't listened to "You Are All You Have Left To Fear"?@?!?!!  What madness!!!!!  For that, you are truly sub-human :P   I think as a whole body of work, it is unquestionably their strongest.  B&B has some great songs, and a great overall sound, but as a whole piece there are some lesser tunes.  But YAAYHLTF is just one hit after another.  It does not quit.  From beginning to end, it is completely engaging and satisfying.  There isn't a weak piece of music on it.  

"To Those Who Fell...." also has the single-greatest Gates guitar riff.  Other than the "Not My Blood" riff.  But I think "To Those Who Fell...." is magnitudes more creative, so it wins.  

But seriously dude, if you are a Gates fan.....  You Are All You Have Left To Fear is absolutely fucking required.  The production is perfect, the songwriting is immensely creative, it's energetic and catchy and has lots of terrific instrumentation.  "To Those Who Fell.../...and To Those Who Carry On" is probably my favorite song(s), followed very closely by the opening track "They See Only Shadows" and the closing track, "Skyline".  

2 hours ago, tlr said:

It was something like this at the Houston show.

1. Habit
  2. Eyes
  3. Shiver
  4. Bloom
  5. The Thing That Would Save You
  6. Not My Blood

I saw them lastnight in philly and they played a similar set but not exactly this one above. They swapped out Bloom for Low and changed the order a bit. Instead of opening with new songs and closing with old ones, they played more of a old song, new song, old song pattern which was cool. Jealous you got to see Bloom though. I'd probably rather see that than Low, although Low really complimented the new material well. I was hoping for a 45 minute set but it was only 30 minutes. Set list as follows:

1. The Thing That Would Save You

2. Habit

3. Low

4. Shiver

5. Eyes

6. Not My Blood

so pissed I can't make tomorrow's show.  Have a ticket and everything, but my dad wanted to go to the Mets vs. Braves at Citi Field, and it's a day game.... and father's day....   so driving down by myself from Albany at 9, see the game, leave NYC at 4 (hopefully) and get to Boston by 7 (hopefully in time to see Gates, doubtful) and then see the show, and then drive back home from Boston after the show....  yeah, no.  As much as I want to see Gates, doing all that for a 30 minute set and not giving my dad my full focus....  bah.  

Anybody know if they still have tour copies of "The Sun Will Rise" ?  I gave my friends some money to pick one up for me.  Hoping they still have it.  

Also, super lame they aren't playing anything from "You Are All...." and "The Sun Will Rise..."    These guys need a fucking headlining tour, they haven't played a proper set in over a year it seems.  

• 2 months later...