RIP Prince (2016 is officially the worst)

To combat the "everyone is now is biggest fan" gimmick in a positive fashion and hopefully open a greater dialogue here:

Personally, I never listened to enough Prince. I knew what my dad had shown me, which was plenty since he grew up listening to funk, soul, and Motown tunes. I always respected Prince as an artist and a visionary. His passing is sad and widely impactful, but to say that everyone is now "becoming his biggest fan" is wildly false. The outpouring of love and appreciation for Prince is coming from the recognition that he, as an artist, had such an enormous impact on the music industry. Music would not at all be the same if he hadn't pushed the envelope of pop, soul, and funk music countless times. In his passing, as a fan, I hope that his music continues to inspire, and if anything good can come from it, let it be that artists, such as Lenny Kravitz and the countless others that have been influenced and touched by Prince, continue to make music that pushes the envelope and that fans can appreciate.

That said, I'm not, not will I ever be able to claim that I am a true Prince "fan," but I'll be doing my damnedest this weekend to dig into his catalogue and learn more about his inspiration.

Also, additionally, if you're into catchy funk music, check out Boulevards. He, too, was very inspired by Prince.

RIP.

I had the pleasure of working a Prince concert in 2013 at the venue I work at DNA lounge in San Francisco. He played 4 shows in 2 days. 1 at 6:30 and 1 at 9:30 both days. It was probably the craziest work days of my entire life. I was doing security and my job was to secure side stage so nobody would hop on stage, also securing the girl that was working on the teleprompter. I was about 10 feet away from him all 4 performances and I've never seen a better musician, production, or concert. Hands down the best concert I've ever been to or worked. The only picture I have from the show is while I was setting up stage I took a quick shot of his pedal board. I still keep the cards they made us hand out at the show in my wallet as well (why it looks so dingy)

image_18.jpeg

image_19.jpeg

image_20.jpeg

I'll never forget growing up, my dad would do most of the driving but sometimes when he was away my mom would drive. One time she showed me her secret stash of Prince CDs. She said "Your dad doesn't care for Prince much but when he's away we can listen to him all we want". So it became a tradition that whenever we'd go somewhere we played her Prince CDs. That left a lasting impression on myself and my taste in music. I tell her she created a monster but I thank her all the time for introducing me to him. This is super heart breaking. RIP to a legend.

This is from TMZ so take it with a huge grain of salt.......... I dunno, this doesn't really vibe with what i know of his late life conversion to JW, unless of course he was (AIDS/Cancer) sick, that's the only way i could really see it. 

Still though, fuck. what a loss   Prince was treated for a drug overdose 6 days before his death ... multiple sources tell TMZ. We broke the story ... Prince's private jet made an emergency landing in Moline, Illinois last Friday, hours after he performed in Atlanta. At the time his reps said he was battling the flu ... something we questioned because his plane was only 48 minutes from home before the unscheduled landing.

Multiple sources in Moline tell us, Prince was rushed to a hospital and doctors gave him a "save shot" ... typically administered to counteract the effects of an opiate.

Our sources further say doctors advised Prince to stay in the hospital for 24 hours. His people demanded a private room, and when they were told that wasn't possible ... Prince and co. decided to bail. The singer was released 3 hours after arriving and flew home. 

We're told when Prince left he "was not doing well."

We know authorities in Minnesota are trying to get the hospital records from Moline to help determine cause of death.