Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

3 hours ago, smwalsh6 said:

It's blowing my mind that people think TKOL is lifeless sounding.

there were two drummers on it!

But ya know, opinions. 

I definitely don't like the cold and harsh sound of King of Limbs...and find me one passage on that record where they properly utilize two drummers.

I love having Coady Willis playing in Melvins, and he's one of my favorite drummers, but he doesn't add anything to their sound.  

In that same way...a second drummer on King of Limbs added absolutely nothing to it....especially with the drum tones on that record

the string arrangements on this new track do add a decent bit of embellishment to what might be a bit of a dull track without them....quite unlike adding a superfluous second drummer to an entire album

7 hours ago, Kanye West said:

It's not a judgement, it's just an observation. I've been wow'd on first listen by many other Radiohead singles, this one was just "good". I was hoping for "great", especially since I'm doubting a lot of the people in this topic know the history behind Burn the Witch. 

Just to Inform some people with some of the history http://citizeninsane.eu/burnthewitch.html  Also I love the Steve Reich Comparison in certain areas is dead on, the subtle shifts in tempo and slow leak of transitional additives to add to depth!!! YES... anyway

I for one enjoy "Burn The Witch" it has an odd sense of juxtaposing contrasting emotions and textures. I feel it has angst yet a subtle calm airiness, its complex yet very simplistic, certain parts feel dense and thick while others feel singular, a bit playful and odd, IDK i need to digest it more i have only listened to it 5 or so times. Either way Radiohead is a master at this.  Is it the best track maybe not but its damn tasty and has me thinking!!  I am very excited to see how this album plays in its entirety. 

New track is brilliant, I love it. Don't see how it sounds remotely like Coldplay...

Personally I like TKOL, but it's not their finest hour. I much prefer In Rainbows, that album is just amazing from start to finish.

Edit: Gonna re-listen to TKOL now, maybe I need to give it another chance

6 hours ago, birdwell said:

I definitely don't like the cold and harsh sound of King of Limbs...and find me one passage on that record where they properly utilize two drummers.

I love having Coady Willis playing in Melvins, and he's one of my favorite drummers, but he doesn't add anything to their sound.  

Hmm, I thought he added a ton haha. I think they pulled off some cool shit, almost mimicking electronic beats with real drums, and that having both drum tones so similar helped to achieve that. 

3 hours ago, tacoape said:

My first thought was....Jonny has been listening to Steve Reich. I support this wholeheartedly.

Yup gotta say I'll ride that train. This track has really brought up some awesome possibilities for the already almost endless "possibilitiers" that are Radiohead. Yea that word isn't real but I'm very excited so it deserved it. Also second day with it, it keeps getting better but it just won't feel complete until it is surrounded by its counterparts. 

7 minutes ago, jeremysi said:

Yup gotta say I'll ride that train. This track has really brought up some awesome possibilities for the already almost endless "possibilitiers" that are Radiohead. Yea that word isn't real but I'm very excited so it deserved it. Also second day with it, it keeps getting better but it just won't feel complete until it is surrounded by its counterparts. 

I have a feeling the chirping at the end of the song won't be on the album version and that giant crescendo at the end will lead into something amazing.

2 minutes ago, highfives said:

I have a feeling the chirping at the end of the song won't be on the album version and that giant crescendo at the end will lead into something amazing.

There's no chirping at either end of the song on Spotify. The song builds and builds, and then stops abruptly. Unless its a "radio edit" I'd imagine it will be the same on the album.

5 minutes ago, Le Gogh said:

There's no chirping at either end of the song on Spotify. The song builds and builds, and then stops abruptly. Unless its a "radio edit" I'd imagine it will be the same on the album.

I haven't streamed it, I've only listened to it on Youtube, so that may be my hangup.  If that's how it is on Spotify and the like, I think we're in for a payoff.

Just now, clocascio said:

Everyone is clear that Burn the Witch is one song from an entire album right? This payoff everyone keeps talking about may very well be in the next song, or elsewhere in the larger context of the full album. Radiohead is generally very good about having an album-spanning experience from start to finish. This song is likely just one moment of that.

That said, I love the new song.

What? Pretty sure you're confused here.

Of course the payoff is the next song.  It's not like they're going to add another third of a song to end of Burn the Witch.

I was originally talking about the bird chirping at the end of the video at the end of the song.  Without listening to the song on Spotify or iTunes, my guess was they would remove that bit of chirping at the end of the track so the crescendo would lead directly into the following song on the record.  Le Gogh confirmed that there is no chirping on the non-video versions which means we're likely to hear a great transition from the dramatic ending of Burn the Witch into the following song.

I will gladly retract my statement where i inferred that this reminds me of middle period Coldplay, as i wasn't really trying to infer that the bands sound like each other in any way, which seems to be what most people are taking away from the comment. 

I was never trying to bash Radiohead, IMO OK/Kid A/Hail to the Thief is about as solid of a 3 album run as any band could have, the point that i was poorly trying to make is that i didn't feel that the song was engaging in the way Radiohead is often engaging to me. I really dislike King of Limbs but i can say that i felt engaged if not challenged by it. The new song didn't grab me at first, but as this thread continued i couldn't just assume that y'all were just flat wrong so i gave it about 5 more listens on my Audeze's. It definitely grew on me, i tried to focus on the bass and the strings as so many had mentioned here, and i could start to hear the heart of the song revealing itself. 

TLDR, sorry for comparing this to Coldplay, at the time i was trying to say that i felt this was undeserving of blind hype, but at the end of the day Radiohead is Radiohead so fuck me.

37 minutes ago, highfives said:

What? Pretty sure you're confused here.

Of course the payoff is the next song.  It's not like they're going to add another third of a song to end of Burn the Witch.

I was originally talking about the bird chirping at the end of the video at the end of the song.  Without listening to the song on Spotify or iTunes, my guess was they would remove that bit of chirping at the end of the track so the crescendo would lead directly into the following song on the record.  Le Gogh confirmed that there is no chirping on the non-video versions which means we're likely to hear a great transition from the dramatic ending of Burn the Witch into the following song.

I probably got caught up in talk about the song individually. My mistake if I misinterpreted. Carry on!

40 minutes ago, highfives said:

Seriously, my favorite TKOL track - The Daily Mail, wasn't on the record.  But, they didn't release it as a lead off single either.

The Daily Mail is soooooooooooo good. I'm still mad they didn't release it with Staircase on vinyl like they did with Supercollider/The Butcher.

1 minute ago, Shlebs said:

The Daily Mail is soooooooooooo good. I'm still mad they didn't release it with Staircase on vinyl like they did with Supercollider/The Butcher.

The Daily Mail is one of those instant classic Radiohead songs.  Like Talk Show Host.  

It'd be awesome if they released all of the TKOL b-sides on one 12" (or 2 10"s!)