Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

Discog now lists two different pressings of the white Vinyl.

Note: Two separate pressings of AMSP on Opaque White exist based on matrix runouts.
One is by Optimal Media GmbH (this pressing) and the other is by Rainbo Records (here).

The Optimal Media pressing has a sticker with the correct barcode and catalog number XLLP790X stickered over the barcode of the regular black vinyl issue outside the sealing foil, indicating that white vinyl copies of the Optimal Media pressing are actually packaged in covers made for the regular issue. The catalog number on the spine of the Optimal Media pressing is "XLLP790".

The Rainbo pressing has the correct barcode printed on the back cover with 'XLLP790' printed below as the catalog number.

Listening to it again right now. Side A is perfect. Side B has some crackling and popping. 

EDIT: By "Desert Island Disk" it's starting to get pretty bad... 

EDIT 2: I guess I'm not too upset about it. I basically just ordered the white as a collectors item and to hold me over till I get the deluxe in September.. Just kind of bummed that I'll have to hear a bunch of extra noise till then.. 

Edited by AdamJNovak

picked up a white copy in my local indie (that was also hosting one of those radiohead day things), they have lots of white copies.  Plays great with minimal noise, couple little dust pops here and there and maybe a minor pressing squelch but will have to relisten... dont care, great album that presents itself beautifully on vinyl.  

ps. why are people shitting on stlben for trading extras?  I traded with him and am happy with how it went down.  Two adults agreeing to a transaction that both feel is fair and honest.  chill out dudes.

Note: Two separate pressings of AMSP on Opaque White exist based on matrix runouts.
One is by Optimal Media GmbH (this pressing) and the other is by Rainbo Records (here).

The Optimal Media pressing has a sticker with the correct barcode and catalog number XLLP790X stickered over the barcode of the regular black vinyl issue outside the sealing foil, indicating that white vinyl copies of the Optimal Media pressing are actually packaged in covers made for the regular issue. The catalog number on the spine of the Optimal Media pressing is "XLLP790".

The Rainbo pressing has the correct barcode printed on the back cover with 'XLLP790' printed below as the catalog number.

Ok, this makes a bit of sense.

I am not sure how to determine which is which before opening, but the matrix numbers in the etching - BGxxxxx are Optimal Media GmbH, and S-xxxxx are Rainbo Records.

It seems like most if not all of the issues are being seen with the Optimal Media pressing.

too bad to hear about sound issues. It's obvious that Radiohead care/know what they are doing as they have spread the release over four sides, so a really bummer there pressing issues.

Mine is bought in Germany from JPC, and therefore, as expected pressed at Optimal (damb, these were the hardest to read run-out grooves I've seen!!) It sounds perfect. Dead quiet in the right places and full and rich.

Sounds like its the age old (last several years at least) issue of which pressing plant was used. The U.S. using Rainbo -vs- Europe using (judging by audiophile discussions) the superior Optimal.

This is too bad.... but just look at any audiophile discussion and you'll see the difference in these pressing plants reputations!!

1 hour ago, rooks said:

Ok, this makes a bit of sense.

I am not sure how to determine which is which before opening, but the matrix numbers in the etching - BGxxxxx are Optimal Media GmbH, and S-xxxxx are Rainbo Records.

It seems like most if not all of the issues are being seen with the Optimal Media pressing.

I have the Rainbo white vinyl pressing and it is flawless. Very little surface noise, no warping. Guess I got lucky on this one. I washed it once in my Spin Clean before I played it.

On 19/06/2016 at 4:46 AM, andynz said:

Has anyone who purchased their copy through Rough Trade received theirs yet, and if so can confirm what pressing they received?

15 hours ago, moodist said:

The one with the sticker over the barcode. Purchased instore.

Which is the Optimal one which you'd expect in Europe.

Just now, allenh said:

Reading the comments on Discogs and elsewhere I thought the opposite was true, I haven't had chance to try my white Optimal yet but I have tried the black which is perfect.

Yeah, I am not sure the great people of discogs are trustworthy haha. Both versions have issues reported, and people saying theirs is perfect. There is also a guy who is mad the record is just plain white and definitely not opaque. So, I take it with a few grains of salt haha. I hope everyone here's copy sounds good regardless of who pressed it.

Just now, rooks said:

Yeah, I am not sure the great people of discogs are trustworthy haha. Both versions have issues reported, and people saying theirs is perfect. There is also a guy who is mad the record is just plain white and definitely not opaque. So, I take it with a few grains of salt haha. I hope everyone here's copy sounds good regardless of who pressed it.

Probably true although I'd expect less issues with Optimal.

As a point of interest my local independent said he had more trouble getting standard black than white, he asked for 20 of each, he got 20 white but only 4 black and as of Saturday all 24 were gone

2 hours ago, allenh said:

Probably true although I'd expect less issues with Optimal.

As a point of interest my local independent said he had more trouble getting standard black than white, he asked for 20 of each, he got 20 white but only 4 black and as of Saturday all 24 were gone

They're probably still pressing the black copies if that's the case. Maybe places like Amazon got white because they weren't ready yet.

Anyone else from the states order from drift records in the uk? I got a shipping notification and realized my phone had autocorrected the zip code of my shipping address. THe folks at drift were super nice and told me they'd hold another copy for me if mine never shows up (usps probably can't figure it out) or if it never gets sent back to them being they can't get a tracking. Just want to get an approximate day these might arrive so I can check at my post office and try and intercept it before it gets shipped back.