British sitcoms worth watching

Friday Night Dinner is definitely worth a watch.

Don't bother with Black Books series 3. The first two are very good, but the last one drops off a cliff quality-wise.

If you want to go obscure, watch 15 Stories High. Absolutely brilliant.

Others to try:

The Day Today and Brass Eye. The only problem with The Day Today is as it is over 20 years old, eveything looks completely normal now.

The Book Group is quite good.

Monkey Dust and Nighty Night are dark brilliance.

The Great Outdoors - very English and only 3 episodes.

Dag (from Norway).

Seven Periods With Mr. Gormsby (from New Zealand).

Already mentioned, but Spaced (at its best; one or two episodes are really quite bad) is some of the best TV ever made.

7 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Is New Zeland British?

I know the answer to that, I've just been rewatching Flight of the Conchords and its still fucking hilarious.

Bowies in Space is the funniest shit ever.

The Conchords were brilliant in that NY made series. Loved it.

Since the scope of the thread now includes the commonwealth then Wilfred from Melbourne deserves a big mention. Probably the funniest series of the last couple of decades. The crudest, nastiest, dark and of course most hilarious TV I have watched.

Agreed, the first Black Books seasons are the best, especially season 1. I have the 15 stories box set, watched two episodes, brilliant. Watched the first season of the Book Group this week, hilarious! Will look into the other ones!

Aussie Wilfred better than american with Elijah Wood?

I'm open for suggestions on any sitcoms, as long as they are Swedish, English or have subtitles. any good german, french, canadian, spanish, italian, greek?

4 hours ago, donlombardo said:

Aussie Wilfred better than american with Elijah Wood?

Yes much darker and the actors and sets are more in fitting with the series. It was more twee which somehow made it more wickedly funny. I only watched a few episodes of the US version but it didn't hold my interest.

On 2016-05-05 at 3:57 PM, Youinreverse said:

Detectorists.

Just saw the pilot of Detectorists on Netflix, really liked it, will finish it. Too bad Netflix only had season 1. The long haired dude is Gareth from The Office, right? And his girlfriend was in Bletchley Circle, also a good show.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-05-05 at 5:23 PM, Sidney Crosley said:

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. Possibly the weirdest, most amazingly ridiculous thing I've ever seen (from about 10-12 years ago, it's a fake low budget 80s show based on fake horror books by a Stephen King-esque writer).

Just watched the pilot, and it's like it was made for me! I'm a big fan of the humor and of Stephen King, couldn't have been a better match. LOVE it.

• 4 months later...

Catastrophe is hilarious. If you want to venture out of sitcoms the UK has some great murder series/dramas like The Fall and Broadchuch. My wife and I stumbled across a miniseries about a woman who cheats on her husband with this skeevy musician, and it also follows the dramatic BS surrounding their friends. I can't for the life of me remember the name of it but I'll do some digging around.

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎20 at 5:05 PM, Shitty Rambo said:

Found it, it was an Australian show haha.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/beautiful-lie/

I'll have to check out Luther. 

Please do, season one is a masterpiece in my mind.

I did buy the Man To Man DVD, haven't watched it yet, but looking forwad to it!

• 4 weeks later...