PO: James Blake - The Colour in Anything

Not to be a contrarian, but I feel like I'm in the minority when I say that I'm nonplussed with this record so far.  Mind you, I've only given it one listen at this point, but will definitely reserve an official verdict for when I'm more familiar with it.  But even as first impressions go, I'm not really understanding where the complete praise is coming from.  As a fan of the S/T and Overgrown, especially, I feel like this album is a classic case of quality > quantity.  Absolutely nothing jumped out on the first listen, which was very much not the case for his prior albums.  It's James Blake so it's anything but bad – but by the standards he set on his prior material, I feel like it's pretty forgettable (so far).  Hoping I can come back to amend this post and sheepishly admit that I got it all wrong; that's the goal.  But if the second and third listen don't budge me, I feel like this could be my biggest disappointment of 2016 as far as first impressions are concerned.

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Not to be a contrarian, but I feel like I'm in the minority when I say that I'm nonplussed with this record so far.  Mind you, I've only given it one listen at this point, but will definitely reserve an official verdict for when I'm more familiar with it.  But even as first impressions go, I'm not really understanding where the complete praise is coming from.  As a fan of the S/T and Overgrown, especially, I feel like this album is a classic case of quality > quantity.  Absolutely nothing jumped out on the first listen, which was very much not the case for his prior albums.  It's James Blake so it's anything but bad – but by the standards he set on his prior material, I feel like it's pretty forgettable (so far).  Hoping I can come back to amend this post and sheepishly admit that I got it all wrong; that's the goal.  But if the second and third listen don't budge me, I feel like this could be my biggest disappointment of 2016 as far as first impressions are concerned.

I feel exactly the same way dude, it doesn't feel like an album. I can't quite articulate why it's leaving me a little cold

It's a large amount of pretty dense music to digest in one sitting for sure (and he didn't even include the 20 minute + track)

I think this album has some truly amazing sounds, production value and his song writing skills have only continued to evolve and develop with each album, and I think its all on a completely other level with this release. 

However, I did notice the absence of a more upbeat/lively tracks that seemed to occupy the majority of Overgrown, but still, I think its a really strong release that is unfortunately going to be overshadowed by Radiohead.  

I prefer London Blake to LA Blake, I guess.

There's no doubt there are some great tracks on this record, but it's far too long and goes nowhere. The whole thing is pretty unmemorable when you listen all at once.

I've been a big fan of both his more experimental london-dubstep EPs as well as his crooning R+B, but I wish he had kept them more separate. This sounds like an hour and 17 minutes of "seeing if it would work" it he combined the two of them.

Still - it's enjoyable, any Blake is good Blake. But, certainly not his strongest effort. Have been a little sad with how bored I've gotten by the end of this on my handful of listens.

all i seem to be doing is switching back and forth between this album and radiohead...

i'd be interested in those of you who didnt like it, whether your opinion changed at all.

i seemed to love this instantly and that hasnt seemed to have changed. it's a long album but it's cohesive and probably a little cooler than his other albums which can require more of a jazz-like ear.  i do find that the second half of the album is what i'm more actively listening to than the first half, but those songs are pretty flawless in their own right.

anyway.. /opinion