Newbie question - how to put record back into sleeve?

I have googled this topic and looked in multiple places and I can't find an answer anywhere.

I've learned that I'm not supposed to handle the grooves directly, so I'm only holding the edges (using both hands) or holding the edge with my thumb or finger supporting the center.

I'm able to get my records out of the sleeve and onto and off of the turntable without touching grooves.  However, I cannot get it back into the inner sleeve without either letting it violently drop (which worries me that someday it's just going to slash right through the other side and onto the floor!) or shoving it in awkwardly, or I invariably touch the grooves trying to get it in.

Am I a complete idiot here?  There are tons of "how to" videos and not a one shows how to elegantly and safely put your record back in the inner sleeve while holding in this awkward one-handed way! 

how-to-hold-a-record3.jpg

When it comes to putting vinyl(s) back into their sleeves, my motto is, "If it feels good, do it."

Sounds like you're being a little OCD about the process. As long as you aren't doing coke off your records and slam dunking them back into the sleeves, I have a feeling you are ok.

6 minutes ago, CrunkPosby said:

Wow, great community!  I guess I've learned my lesson. I'm stupid and I'll just go away now.

It's just that you say you've watched videos on how to do it and even posted a photo of the correct way...so the question makes no sense. Grab the sleeve with your other hand and insert the record...

You don't do coke off of records because of the increased amount of colored vinyl that is released nowadays. It doesn't hurt your records any but you don't want your coke to be camouflaged by the color of the record. If you've gotta do it, stick to black vinyl. You look like a real amateur if you're caught frantically snorting while rubbing your face up & down a white vinyl record in an effort to catch any missed booger sugar. 

• jhulud locked this topic