Other Music in New York City to close ...

Damn. I grew up a couple blocks over from Other Music and it was definitely a big part of my high school years. OM and Kim's were the two places I knew I could always go to discover great new artists and find indie releases i wouldn't find anywhere else. Now both will be gone :(

I know that's just a part of living in nyc for any extended period of time,  but still sucks that pretty much none of the places I grew up with still exist at this point. 

Also, fuck Rough Trade. I hate that place so much. 

1 hour ago, rooks said:

Why so much hate for Rough Trade? I listen to mostly UK-based artists and they're the best for imports.

honestly.  it's just cause it's mostly over priced imports with next to no used records.

the staff is nice tho.  I don't hate RT but I definitely don't like them.

I like Rough Trade as a venue, but hate it as a record store. It's just not enjoyable to shop at. It's super overpriced, horribly organized, and they use stupidly tall shelves so, as a 5' tall female, I can only seem to reach and flip through about 1/3 of the records there :(

Every time i try to shop there, I wind up just getting super frustrated and walking out. 

Plus, I also kinda feel like it's bs that they got major preferential treatment for rsd when they first opened. 

I happened to be in the neighborhood this afternoon, so I stopped by. There had to be at least 4 people there taking pictures of the place, people shopping, racks, etc. 

And regarding Rough Trade, the only reason I ever go there is that it is close to Bushwick Inlet Park/East River Park. Except that Weezer in-store. The venue part is pretty cool.

I love when I hear all these current brooklyn stories. 

I remember seeing hot water music at the northsix (now music hall) and other shows I went to at that place and red hook. You could park on the same street and hope they didn't steal your car or leave you a pamphlet to convert to hasdic judaism. It was a ghost town.  Not the same 15 years later and so glad I moved out of there and west 

I remember seeing hot water music at the northsix (now music hall) and other shows I went to at that place and red hook. You could park on the same street and hope they didn't steal your car or leave you a pamphlet to convert to hasdic judaism. It was a ghost town.  Not the same 15 years later and so glad I moved out of there and west