PO May 11: Dikembe - Hail Something

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, the full album is streaming on Spotify and downloadable as PWYW on the Dikembe Bandcamp page. Also, I got almost all of the physical orders are shipped and those people will get a digital download in their e-mail later today too (rest of the orders will go out when I get some more LP mailers on Monday!)

1 hour ago, Shlebs said:

It's 45 RPM to save you the trouble. Only like 26 min long.

Actually thanks a ton. Got mine in today, was going to spin it tonight. Seems like labels haven't been putting this on recently. The Debut Carbon is a pain to switch and I've had it happen several times recently where I put on a 45 7", then a 33, then right back to 45 because I didn't realize it. #speedforeveryone

1 hour ago, MCDELTAT said:

Actually thanks a ton. Got mine in today, was going to spin it tonight. Seems like labels haven't been putting this on recently. The Debut Carbon is a pain to switch and I've had it happen several times recently where I put on a 45 7", then a 33, then right back to 45 because I didn't realize it. #speedforeveryone

Well I'm glad to help haha. Unless I'm blind it definitely doesn't say.

I completely adore this album. I've had it on repeat since I've received it and it's definitely one of the (if not the) best albums to come out in 2016. It's super raw and open with medium energy and volatile sensibilities. Every song has a hook, and the album never hits any ruts. 

Some say this was a natural progression for Dikembe, but I feel like it's an unexpected and very appreciated side-step from the last LP (Mediumship) and EP (Ledge). Whereas the former was more somber and cold, and the latter was more upbeat and casual, Hail Something is biting and sneering. This album is to Dikembe as Pinkerton was to Weezer, as Lechuza was Fenix TX, or as Say Hello To Sunshine was to Finch. It's what Beach Slang should've done with A Loud Bash of Teenage Feelings. 

For me, 2016 has been a better year for music compared to 2015, but most releases have only been good at best with one or two amazing releases peppered in here and there. This is one of the amazing releases.

• 5 years later...