PO NOW: Russian Circles - Guidance | SARGENT HOUSE

10 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

False. Excitedly waiting for my black copy to arrive!

do you guys order black over the colored variants under the impression it will sound better?

I've never understood why people voluntarily pick the generic black copy when other (cooler?) variants are just as easily accessible

(serious question)

6 hours ago, bortx said:

So I was wrong, there are two different US/EU variants with the same name, cool! anyway I think I am fine with the EU one...

I think that the variant described as 'brown w/ burgundy splatter' is only the one available from SH online stores.

The 'clear w/ brown splatter' was not announced by SH so we don't have a specific pressing info for that yet, it seems to be a EU retail version.

11 minutes ago, antisyntax said:

do you guys order black over the colored variants under the impression it will sound better?

I've never understood why people voluntarily pick the generic black copy when other (cooler?) variants are just as easily accessible

(serious question)

Sound quality is first and foremost, I have many swirls and splatters that sound terrible. I'm well aware that color alone isn't to blame for many quality issues (I have enough black records that sound like crap too), but it is a factor.  Beyond any discussion of sound quality, I actually prefer the aesthetics of black vinyl. I don't find black to be "generic" and the variants "cooler" - Most of the time those swirls and splatters look terrible. Just give me a nice clean black copy.

I feel like Russian Circles entire catalogue has led them to write the song "Afrika" in that it's the most focused, in-sync song I've ever heard from them.  Literally the way each of them mesh together about 4 minutes in is one of the best things I've ever heard.

Also, Lisboa sounds like a Geneva B-side & I love it.

Edited by mrewest

The email Awesome sent about the shipping delay make me think that stores in EU, both local and online, which have Guidance on vinyl in stock and not in preorder must have the clear/brown splatter (made in EU), I guess, as the US variants aren't here yet.

Edited by fizio59

3 minutes ago, fizio59 said:

The email Awesome sent about the shipping delay make me think that stores in EU, both local and online, which have Guidance on vinyl in stock and not in preorder must have the clear/brown splatter (made in EU), I guess, as the US variants are here yet.

All of the variants were made in the EU courtesy of GZ pressing.

19 minutes ago, GradedOnACurve said:

All of the variants were made in the EU courtesy of GZ pressing.

Looking at the Memorial EU translucent grey and US opaque grey in comparison you can see that they weren't pressed by the same factory, the EU one was made by xvinylx (EU).

Edited by fizio59

10 minutes ago, fizio59 said:

And so those variants, except for the EU one, were sent to US and then back to stores in EU?

Edit:

Also, looking at the Memorial EU translucent grey and US grey in comparison you can see that they weren't pressed by the same factory, the EU one was made by xvinylx.

Yeah for some reason in 2013 Sargent House seemed to have pressed the US and EU versions at different factories. This however is definitely all GZ. Some labels are able to split shipments to factories to distributors and others have it shipped to whoever initially handles their stock/mailorder and then to distributors. Not sure what the holdup is for EU versions or if its just Awesome Distro.

1 minute ago, fizio59 said:

Do anyone of you guys from EU saw a copy (in stock/ready to ship now) different from the clear/brown splatter in any local or online European store untill now?

Well, yeah, lots of black copies! European distributor Cargo doesn't carry any of the other variants. Also, they're all out of clear with splatter, so if any of you order at a store that doesn't have it in stock, they're not gonna get it. 

3 hours ago, antisyntax said:

(serious question)

There are certain reasons why the black variant has the potential to sound better than a splatter such as the inserted specks of color not being smashed down in the pressing of the LP which some have reported. I've not necessarily noticed that any of my splatter records are more prone to playback distortions over any black copies. For me, I like "generic" black because I quite plainly prefer the way a solid black record looks way over any of the colored variants. The blacker and shinier, the better. Most variants just look like cheap, gimmicky impersonations of a record. Black looks classic AND classy to me. I like the idea of my modern vinyl LP's with modern music on them having the look/texture of vintage records which were USUALLY all black. I never really came across crazily colored variants until I started building my own collection from scratch. My parent's records and all the classic presses of major albums in classic rock were mostly all black (yes, I know there are exceptions to that). I find it far more aesthetically pleasing to hold and watch the spin of a black record over any other color or color combination. Black is just fucking correct in my mind. I love it. There's just something about it. And frankly all the bickering over mockups and expectations for color combinations and "I ordered the bruise purple with electric yellow fart swirl and they sent me the red porcupine with H-colored dick shapes variant" bullshit just annoys the crap out of me so much that to avoid the whole tainted mess, I stick with black. The coolest color variant I have is probably the Young Widows Old Wounds amber with black skull shapes LP but that's enough for me.

Picked it up locally for $17.99. Kinda wish the retail version was black, surprised it's the clear w/ brown splatter. Even after a VPI bath, still a bit noisier than I'd expect at times. Sounds better than the last couple on vinyl, but I found myself turning up the treble a notch more than I usually would.

Great music though. It's one of their best.

Edited by Vinyl Fury
spelling

After receiving my brown/burgundy splatter (sounds great btw), I'm leaning more towards the Eu retail variant ugh. Really hoping there will be a tour variant

edit: apparently a lot of people are reporting surface noise issues with the clear-based splatters, can anyone confirm this? my brown/burgundy copy is completely silent.

Edited by antisyntax

8 hours ago, antisyntax said:

After receiving my brown/burgundy splatter (sounds great btw), I'm leaning more towards the Eu retail variant ugh. Really hoping there will be a tour variant

edit: apparently a lot of people are reporting surface noise issues with the clear-based splatters, can anyone confirm this? my brown/burgundy copy is completely silent.

I have the clear/black variant, and it's relatively quiet. A few pops and clicks here and there, but that's certainly to be expected. I wouldn't say it's any more noisy than a lot of black vinyl I own. Overall, a very good sounding record.

Finally listened to this album the other day. I liked it. I wasn't blown away, but I definitely like it. Going to have to give it another listen. The riffs are definitely catchy (god damn that riff in 'Vorel'), but I was hoping for something a little heavier over all. It was a different pace with no interlude or 8 minute tracks which was interesting. The structure is there, it's dynamic, it blends and flows well,... I was just expecting something a little different I guess. It was a little on the short side at 40 minutes (at least it was longer that 'Memorial'). I think it could use one more song to round it out.

Maybe I just have Sumac and Bossk on the brain, and need a different mind set while giving this another listen.

I'm sure a few more listens will make this from a 7 to a 8 - 8.5.

Edited by Dave Grohl

I initially reported some minor playback problems with my brown splatter copy which I am happy to declare resolved. After a thorough dry cleaning with the MoFi brush I went for another go-round before making the effort of a wet cleaning. Et voila, all problems were gone. There might have been a static problem since there wasn't a lot of dust to get out of the grooves to begin with and the MoFi brush is incredible at getting rid of that. 

With that being said, I love the vinyl master of this album. I made an undesigned a to b comparison after listening to the ALAC files while cleaning and the record directly after that, both via headphones, and there's considerably more punch to the low end. It's almost punishing even on rather low volume. All in all, very happy with this album and the care/expertise put into the vinyl release. 

Spun my black copy last night. It sounds beautiful - no noise whatsoever and the mastering is excellent.

This is going to take a few spins to fully set it, but already I think it's going to be one of my favorite RC albums. It has a bit of everything so far, and a lot of the mood is rivaling Geneva (my favorite). I wish they had a stop in Columbus on this tour. They played a couple of these songs last time through, but I'd love to hear a proper Guidance setlist.