PO NOW: Russian Circles - Guidance | SARGENT HOUSE

I am honestly amazed some of you guys aren't into this song.  I am obsessed with it at the moment.   It's literally everything I wanted in a new RC song.  Probably listened to it about 15 times now and it seems to get better each time.

I love how the song unfolds, and it sound like it's coming out of a killer previous track & going into another killer track.  The production here is perfect as well.  I thought the production of Memorial was a little muddy, especially Dave's drumming.

All 3 of them seem to be in perfect sync right now and I can't wait for this entire album.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently Mike Sullivan was just in a pretty serious car crash. Russian Circles had to cancel their show here that's coming up in a few weeks, and I imagine they'll be canceling some other shows. The doctor gave him orders to not play any shows for six weeks. Hope he makes a quick recovery. 

JUNE Cancellation News a message from Mike Sullivan:
"I regret to inform that we have to cancel our upcoming appearances at Levitation Vancouver and Crucial Fest in Salt Lake City. On the 27th of May, I was the victim of a head-on car collision while driving home from the band’s practice space. I’m relieved to announce that I won’t suffer from any long term injuries from the incident but unfortunately I did incur severe trauma to my neck and spine and am in no position to play the upcoming shows. I wish I could play but its simply not an option at the moment. We've played through broken bones, torn ligaments, and a myriad of illnesses without cancellations, but we physically can't make it happen this time around.
I’d like to extend my gratitude to Levitation and Crucial Fest for giving us the opportunity to play and for understanding our cancellation. I apologize to anyone who made travel arrangements for the shows or bought tickets in advance. We look forward to making up these shows another time down the road. Thank you to everyone who helped facilitate our presence at these festivals. We’re eager to hit the road this August with a clean bill of health. "

Dates effected are:
Crucial Fest in Salt Lake City
Levitation in Vancouver

• 4 weeks later...

Finally just listened to "Mota" and I am really impressed. It has a similar structural feel to "Mladek" which is one of my favorite songs ever, let alone by RC. I think between "Vorel", "Mota" and "Calla" this album will prove to be one of their best. I still can't really get into Memorial but so far Guidance is looking like a more logical progression from Empros and an overall stronger effort on all fronts than Memorial was.

2 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

It has some great moments but just doesn't feel as up to par as the other albums. The mix sounds pretty flat and shitty to my ears as well. I've never disliked a mix on an RC album so much.

maybe it wasn't supposed to sound like other RC albums? doesn't mean it's shitty... I'm more impressed with memorial than the 3 tracks I've heard off guidance tbh

I love this band so fricking much. The two songs I've heard from this album are so so good. I'm super excited to get the records in my hand. Easily my favourite band.

I'm just gonna jump in the memorial conversation while I'm here. I get why people aren't that enthused about it, but I like that they tried something different. I think it worked. Mike got the guitar tone just right for that type of shoegazey metal. 

• 3 weeks later...