PO Now: Portugal the Man - Woodstock

Official PO is up. Includes various bundles of deluxe and standard LPs.

http://store.portugaltheman.com

Other POs for the standard LP:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y1CC95B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_XYt5ybBSTJ5FY

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/portugal-the-man-woodstock-vinyl-records.shtml

12% discount if you use :  LP12

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/24990203/portugal-the-man-woodstock-180-gram-vinyl-w-digital-download

Portugal the Man started teasing  new songs on their Instagram last night.  They've all been set to video clips from the Titanic.  Maybe that's the name of the record?

The first clip has been removed, but the second one is still up.  

Edited by highfives

In a recent interview Zach said they have tons of songs ready, but they are not sure if they'll put them out as an album or something else. He said to expect a ton of new music this year from them. The new album is speculated to be called "Gloomin and Doomin". I'm not sure how I feel about the teasers so far. I love PTM, but I need to hear the full thing before I form any real opinion. There is a live version of "Feel It Still" on youtube.

This should also be in the other forum, since this is not vinyl related.

• 9 months later...

I kind of gave up on them after Satanic Satanist. That album was pretty good but nothing afterward got my attention. I actually feel like I need to revisit In The Mountain In The Cloud. At first it just sounded like a Beatles revival fest to me but maybe I can handle that.

39 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I kind of gave up on them after Satanic Satanist. That album was pretty good but nothing afterward got my attention. I actually feel like I need to revisit In The Mountain In The Cloud. At first it just sounded like a Beatles revival fest to me but maybe I can handle that.

If you liked SS, I think ITMITC is like the pinnacle of that sound they were going for.  Beatles-revival?  Yeah, that's the sound.  Love that record though.

1 hour ago, highfives said:

If you liked SS, I think ITMITC is like the pinnacle of that sound they were going for.  Beatles-revival?  Yeah, that's the sound.  Love that record though.

Just sounds like they borrowed a little too much from the McCartney/Lennon writing style and churned out a 60's Pop/Rock album. Too many chord progressions and not enough riffs. Church Mouth and Censored Colors had a good mix of riffs and typical chord progressions but that shit popped and sounded original and slayed. ITMITC is better than most shit out there but not up to my standard for P.TM.

1 hour ago, mcpherson123 said:

Just sounds like they borrowed a little too much from the McCartney/Lennon writing style and churned out a 60's Pop/Rock album. Too many chord progressions and not enough riffs. Church Mouth and Censored Colors had a good mix of riffs and typical chord progressions but that shit popped and sounded original and slayed. ITMITC is better than most shit out there but not up to my standard for P.TM.

I think they really found their groove with SS, and while American Ghetto was still good, ITMITC is easily my favorite record by them.  Church Mouth and Censored Colors are totally forgettable to me, and Evil Friends...well, let's just say that if that was the first album they'd put out, I wouldn't have bothered with their second album.

All that aside, it's crazy to me that these guys put out almost an album per year for until now.  It's been almost 4 years since Evil Friends.  Does anyone know why?  Waiting out their contract with Atlantic?  Did someone get married and have kids?  Substance abuse issues?  Something else?

Edited by tdogg241

24 minutes ago, tdogg241 said:

I think they really found their groove with SS, and while American Ghetto was still good, ITMITC is easily my favorite record by them.  Church Mouth and Censored Colors are totally forgettable to me, and Evil Friends...well, let's just say that if that was the first album they'd put out, I wouldn't have bothered with their second album.

All that aside, it's crazy to me that these guys put out almost an album per year for until now.  It's been almost 4 years since Evil Friends.  Does anyone know why?  Waiting out their contract with Atlantic?  Did someone get married and have kids?  Substance abuse issues?  Something else?

I don't know the reason, but I'd certainly like to.  They were churning out great records (American Ghetto notwithstanding), but now it's like Tool putting out a record.

2 hours ago, tdogg241 said:

John had a kid, but not sure if that's the reason why. They just have not been happy with the albums they have made, so they make new ones.

16 hours ago, ejc625 said:

I don't understand how you can be a fan of this band but give up on them after Satanic Satanist. Some fantastic Portugal. records were released post-SS.

American Ghetto barely kept me listening at all and as I said, ITMITC is a bit too derivative though I will say it beats the pants off of Evil Friends which I could barely even begin listening to. Their heyday is their first three records. SS is pretty good. Afterward, ITMITC had a taste of what made them good but overall everything else has been pretty meh. I'm going to give ITMITC a lot more attention now because I realize I didn't really give it much of a chance but I listened to about half of it again yesterday and realized there is some good shit in there. I'll have to continue with it to fully assess but aside from that all recent output has been total non-starter for me.

17 hours ago, tdogg241 said:

Church Mouth and Censored Colors are totally forgettable to me

Blasphemy.