PO Now: Portugal the Man - Woodstock

5 hours ago, ejc625 said:

5 hours ago, ejc625 said:

It's a great album for sure. But Church Mouth, The Satanic Satanist, or Evil Friends didn't do anything for you? 

I just kind of fell off with them. I wasn't crazy about whatever the second album was, and didn't pay attention to anything after that, then their fanbase got a little...overly zealous for me.

I may go visit some of their other stuff soon.

I guess this didn't post earlier. Went back and revisited Church Mouth (hated it) and The Satanic Satanist (pretty ok, but nothing I'm doing to get on vinyl) also revisited Waiter, and it's pretty good, but a lot of this purchase is nostalgia for me as it turns out. I may actually end up passing on it in the end.

22 minutes ago, batman said:

they've all but alienated their core fan-base. now it's all bros and bandwagon hipsters. i guess they're targeting the mainstream festival crowd now?

Weird. I mean, understandable if you're trying to make a living at music, but also gross.

eh i've written this, and deleted it few times but.

Ptm has been headed in this direction ever since American Ghetto I feel like.

Anything from there on has just been a familiar trope of  modern pop music. American Ghetto might've not been a great album but it still had that unique organic sound especially with the beats. Anything since then doesn't really have any longevity.  Their music post AG is unfortunately just bland consumable music.

I hate saying this because they were one of my favorite band's, and clearly they are very good at writing catchy pop music.

Really, it shouldn't be a surprise at all but personally this LP was kind've a last chance for me. Tracks like "Live in the Moment" and " Noise Pollution" are honestly unbearable and quite hard to get through. It blow's my mind that this band had actually scrapped an entire album and re-wrote this new one.

I cringed when I read it at first, this isn't verbatim but that one poster who said they're now basically going for that  urban outfitters ish crowd sound  I feel is unfortunately right.  It just doesn't feel like them. In retrospect they've always been a band to hop on music trends. 

Edited by icecream

Portugal was one of the best live shows I've seen. Then, shortly after American Ghetto came out they started totally shifting. Even social media presence shifted to "we Dem Bois" type shit talking about how they're the best and so hip-hop and stuff.. nothing wrong with hip-hop, I like it too, but just a huge tonal shift from the show I saw them at last where Gourley was so shy\into it that he wore a hoody and faced away from the show back by the drummer for 3\4 of the night just belting his heart out.

Dunno. Something broke with these dudes and they went from being some of the most ambitious and down to earth dudes to major label pop spewers that haven't put out anything I'd remotely enjoy listening to since Satanic Satanist\American Ghetto.

4 hours ago, rooks said:

Portugal was one of the best live shows I've seen. Then, shortly after American Ghetto came out they started totally shifting. Even social media presence shifted to "we Dem Bois" type shit talking about how they're the best and so hip-hop and stuff.. nothing wrong with hip-hop, I like it too, but just a huge tonal shift from the show I saw them at last where Gourley was so shy\into it that he wore a hoody and faced away from the show back by the drummer for 3\4 of the night just belting his heart out.

Dunno. Something broke with these dudes and they went from being some of the most ambitious and down to earth dudes to major label pop spewers that haven't put out anything I'd remotely enjoy listening to since Satanic Satanist\American Ghetto.

I agree with most of this but I really do love ITMITC, especially live.  I saw them on this last club tour and they were still great live.  They jammed the shit out of songs.

However, since Evil Friends they've had this hip-hop attitude that is so fucking put on and the antithesis of down to earth.  I mean, John has a fucking gold tooth now.  Since when do white indie rock dudes from Alaska have grills?

I don't hate the new album, but it certainly is not my favorite. I also see nothing wrong with making music to make money. It sucks when it happens to your favorite band, but people can't survive like they used to forever. They are still some of the nicest, humble and thankfully people I have ever met. I hung out with Kyle after the show in Cleveland last November for a bit, and we talked a lot about Kay Kay, WOC, his demos and so on. Dude loved that someone actually cared about Kay Kay. He bought me a beer and told me to hit him up when they are in town, or if I'm in a place they are playing.