TV time

I've been slowly upgrading my AV setup and have gotten to the point where a new TV may be in order.

Currently using a ~2008 Panasonic 50" 720p plasma that has served me well for many years.  Hoping my next TV will do the same.

I have my eye on a Samsung UN65KS8000 that I can pick up for ~$2k.  I do not know very much about current TV tech, so I welcome any educated opinions.

The KS8000 would be one of my recommendations as there isn't a world of difference between that and Samsung's flagship 9000 series this year but the price difference is pretty substantial between the two. 

I would also look at the Sony 65X850D as I find the backlight uniformity to be slightly better (one of the things Samsung LEDs have always struggled with) and I personally prefer Sony's Triluminos color processor to Samsung's Quantom Dot. 

As a related aside, I just bought a 65EF9500 OLED to replace my 2013 Samsung 55F8000, but it hasn't been delivered yet as I'm working for the next week straight. Very much looking forward to it. 

Edited by yanquiuxo

I went ahead and ordered the 65" KS8000.  I think I could have gotten the Sony for around the same price ($1900 incl tax + delivery).  It's a local return (Best Buy) so we'll see if I notice any of the edge bleed/clouding issues that some people complain about and maybe I'll switch to the Sony.

Pretty jealous of the OLED.  I really wanted to hold out.  But even with all these reports of companies moving into OLED (including Panasonic who have completely punted on their product line since getting out of plasma), I don't see there being good enough competition for prices to drop until at lease mid 2017.  For the time being, a solid HDR set seems like a reasonable comprimise.

What's the deal with Ultra HD blu ray players?  Guessing I need a special playback device....do you know if the PS 4.5 will support it?

22 minutes ago, ajxd said:

Hold out for oppo. 

I know they have plans to release one sometime this year.  I will be ecstatic if they came out with a follow up to the 103/105 with Ultra HD support, but I feel like those products still have a lot of life in them and I'd more likely be looking at a model above those with a comparable price tag.

I'll probably be picking up a PS4.5 whenever it comes out mostly because of the new Uncharted game.  It would be nice to get a little extra utility out of it beyond gaming.  The PS3 was a utility beast.  I think Sony needs to keep that going.  They already stumbled a bit with the initial PS4 being slightly underpowered for VR necessitating a revision.

3 hours ago, Tardcore said:

I went ahead and ordered the 65" KS8000.  I think I could have gotten the Sony for around the same price ($1900 incl tax + delivery).  It's a local return (Best Buy) so we'll see if I notice any of the edge bleed/clouding issues that some people complain about and maybe I'll switch to the Sony.

Pretty jealous of the OLED.  I really wanted to hold out.  But even with all these reports of companies moving into OLED (including Panasonic who have completely punted on their product line since getting out of plasma), I don't see there being good enough competition for prices to drop until at lease mid 2017.  For the time being, a solid HDR set seems like a reasonable comprimise.

What's the deal with Ultra HD blu ray players?  Guessing I need a special playback device....do you know if the PS 4.5 will support it?

Nice on the KS8000. You should be happy with it as long as you have reasonable expectations and understand that no tv is "perfect," even including the OLED. I absolutely don't recommend to drop $3k+ on an OLED at this time. I certainly wouldn't and didn't. 

I'm thinking about getting a 4K Samsung player down the road. The HDR from the 4K blu rays is really impressive from what I've seen in the store (testing on Samsung, Sony, and LG TVs). I'll have run dual HDMI out however because my current AVR doesn't support HDCP 2.2 even though it does support 4K pass through.  Bleh. 

The PS4.5 is rumored to support 4K BR although nothing definitive at this time. Definitely not worth it if you already have a PS4 as the game development isn't supposed to change at all in the foreseeable future. 

Tardy report back with your feedback on the tv, I'm curious to know what your thoughts are. 

Edited by yanquiuxo

1 hour ago, yanquiuxo said:

Nice on the KS8000. You should be happy with it as long as you have reasonable expectations and understand that no tv is "perfect," even including the OLED. I absolutely don't recommend to drop $3k+ on an OLED at this time. I certainly wouldn't and didn't.

I'm thinking about getting a 4K Samsung player down the road. The HDR from the 4K blu rays is really impressive from what I've seen in the store (testing on Samsung, Sony, and LG TVs). I'll have run dual HDMI out however because my current AVR doesn't support HDCP 2.2 even though it does support 4K pass through.  Bleh.

The PS4.5 is rumored to support 4K BR although nothing definitive at this time. Definitely not worth it if you already have a PS4 as the game development isn't supposed to change at all in the foreseeable future.

Tardy report back with your feedback on the tv, I'm curious to know what your thoughts are.

~$3k seems to be roughly the going rate for a 65" OLED (for those of us without the retail hookups).  I technically could have gone with a smaller screen with the higher end tech, but the larger screen size is a big factor driving my upgrade.

I'll be in the same HDCP 2.2 boat.  My current AVR is a Marantz SR5008.  It probably wouldn't cost me much to step up to a newer edition but running a cable isn't a big deal either.

I was originally planning to pick up a PS4 whenever the latest Uncharted game came out, but given the announcement that there would be a hardware revision around the holidays, I elected to wait.  I mostly play games in the winter (because Wisconsin) so waiting wasn't an issue.  There isn't enough content available currently for me to justify shelling out for a new player specifically to get Ultra Blu Ray capabilities, but if it comes packaged with something like the PS4.5 that I was going to pick up anyway, I'm on board.

I'll be sure to report back.  My delivery date is currently set for this Saturday.

UPDATE:

I was able to move up my delivery date and got my new TV today.  After a little smoke testing, I got it mounted and have been watching for an hour or so.  

So far I am pretty impressed.  Picture is good on streaming and blu ray content.  The screen is pretty reflective so I'm getting a bit of glare so I think some black out curtains are in order but that's not a big deal.

Now I just need to find some good 4k content.

11 hours ago, Tardcore said:

is there a recommended test disc that I can use to look at some of these things?  I checked for a few things that people complain about like edge bleed, but I'm not very familiar with calibrating etc.

Put this video on your TV or watch the credits roll from a blu ray (that is also a good test for banding/ghosting)

11 hours ago, Tardcore said:

is there a recommended test disc that I can use to look at some of these things?  I checked for a few things that people complain about like edge bleed, but I'm not very familiar with calibrating etc.

Put this video on your TV or watch the credits roll from a blu ray (that is also a good test for banding/ghosting)

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, fooood said:

I didn't want to start a new thread so I just looked up tv so I'm gonna bump this. I'm 

looking into getting a new tv I want to get a 65in is there any tvs that big that games play well on? I have an Xbox one any input would be awesome since I have no idea where to start.

thanks 

Start by defining a budget and feature requirements.  I opted for the set that I ended up purchasing because I wanted to have HDR, which meant that I spent about twice much as I would have if I didn't want HDR.

3 hours ago, Tardcore said:

Start by defining a budget and feature requirements.  I opted for the set that I ended up purchasing because I wanted to have HDR, which meant that I spent about twice much as I would have if I didn't want HDR.

Maybe like 1200. I don't need it to high end as long as movies look good, and the games aren't laggy. I was trying to read around and I'm seeing things on input lag?

1200 will be a tough budget for a 65".. I would recommend if you can stretch it to 1400 the Sony 65x750D is a good tv, however you will lose HDR, but since you mentioned motion is important and the motion on Samsung or LG equivalent will be terrible for that price range.

You can also look at a Vizio but I wouldn't go below an M series and the user interface on all of Vizio 2016 TVs is beyond horrible (for example, you cannot access any internal menu options or smart features with the stock remote and have to use a smartphone or a tablet, and the wifi pairing between the smart devices is buggy as hell).  Personally I'd go against them as a whole. 

Edited by yanquiuxo