Brand new records skipping? Will adding weight ruin my needle?

Here's what you should do:

1. If you only bought the table yesterday, I'm sure you can still return it. If they need a reason in order to give you a refund, just be honest and tell them that you didn't expect it to be the piece of garbage it is.

2. Then take the time to save up for something that will not destroy records with every spin. (This might sound harsh, but it's not an exaggeration).

3. In the mean time, take a minute and read this to see exactly what you options are and what to expect from any particular budget.

Edited by slinch

Turntables that use ceramic cartridges fall into a "crosley" class of inexpensive turntables that may look and (sometimes) sound like a turntable, but lack the features and build quality to play your records consistently and without causing (long or short-term) damage to the record itself.

Slinch's link above will lay out several alternative tables that will do the job, but you do not necessarily have to step up to the $200-300 range of turntables. If you take a look at your local Craig's List, you will likely find something for the same $130 you spent on your current table that will yield far better results.

The problem with turntables where you can't change the weight is that it means the weight was set by some factory where it was mass produced, which means there is a very good chance that it could be set wrong, hence the skipping.  Do you use the speakers on the turntable or do you have external speakers and a receiver?

On 6/7/2016 at 10:28 AM, dbarila said:

The problem with turntables where you can't change the weight is that it means the weight was set by some factory where it was mass produced, which means there is a very good chance that it could be set wrong, hence the skipping.  Do you use the speakers on the turntable or do you have external speakers and a receiver?

The speakers on this particular turntable are good quality and are fine. I simply thought this turntable was a good price and thought I would try it but I am taking it back and will probably purchase one w/o ceramic.

9 minutes ago, SarahPsychedelic said:

The speakers on this particular turntable are good quality and are fine. I simply thought this turntable was a good price and thought I would try it but I am taking it back and will probably purchase one w/o ceramic.

The reason I asked, is if you already had a set up with an amplifier and speakers, you could get a U-Turn Orbit for $179.  So for a little more than what you paid for that one, you can get a better sounding table and one that will be kinder to your records.  

12 minutes ago, SarahPsychedelic said:

I noticed you were having problems with your turntable and are considering return your current one.  I recomend this one https://store.uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable

Thank you for the recommendation, this one seems great. Ill look further into it!

6 minutes ago, Shaunismz said:

I noticed you were having problems with your turntable and are considering return your current one.  I recomend this one https://store.uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable

1 hour ago, SarahPsychedelic said:

It might be worth you going to a shop that sells equipment a bit higher up the food chain so that you can hear just how good your records can sound.

You don't have to spend a fortune on this stuff but if you stay with new rather than 2nd hand you will have to spend a little more than you currently are for a complete system that does the job.

All of these tables are the same regardless of whether they say Crosley, Ion, GPO, Pyle, Majestic, Oneby1 ore any of the myriad of other brands you see using the same basic components. they all use two variations on the same cheap plastic turntable section, one has an all plastic arm and the other a chrome metal tube in the arm but unfortunately they are the same cheap disposable rubbish whether they cost $20 or $200 are themselves either a well intentioned but naive mistake or at their worst a means to jump on the vinyl bandwagon, exploit naivety and make a quick cash grab on the back of it. There are a few of us old enough or experienced enough to either see through this or to have seen the same rubbish over and over again and it saddens me every time I see someone spend a lot of money on this record wrecking rubbish.

If you want the full details of why these things are so bad then read all the way through the beginners thread that Slinch wrote and links to below and take his advice

On 07/06/2016 at 9:24 AM, slinch said:

Here's what you should do:

1. If you only bought the table yesterday, I'm sure you can still return it. If they need a reason in order to give you a refund, just be honest and tell them that you didn't expect it to be the piece of garbage it is.

2. Then take the time to save up for something that will not destroy records with every spin. (This might sound harsh, but it's not an exaggeration).

3. In the mean time, take a minute and read this to see exactly what you options are and what to expect from any particular budget.

Like I say go to a shop that sells proper equipment or find someone with a proper system and have a listen, your ears will thank you as there's a shed load of music in those records that your current system is hiding from you and worse still possibly slowly removing.

1 hour ago, Shaunismz said:

This one is a very good start but remember you also need some sort of amplifier or speakers to go with it be that speakers with a built in amplifier (called active speakers) and a phono stage or a set of un amplified (passive) speakers and an amplifier (which might or might not include a phono stage)

It's all in the beginners thread.