Looking for a Little Sympathy

I brought in a bunch (over 100) of my older records to my local record shop for trade-in credit today, and picked up the following records in exchange (all new):

• Jesca Hoop - The House That Jack Built
  • Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
  • Zero 7 - Simple Things
  • The Kills - Ash & Ice
  • Led Zeppelin - 1st (self-titled), 3-album special edition
  • Tangerine Dream - Ricochet
  • Beth Orton - Trailer Park
  • Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane...

Get out of the store, walk 10 paces and the bag handle breaks. Since I was carrying the bag ON MY SHOULDER they all fell from high up, and landed on the sidewalk. Crushed the bottom right corner of every single record. Every. Single. One.

This was one of those re-usable shopping bags that I'm sure has held gallons of milk at a time in the past, and chooses today to break.

vinyl are fine. Listening now, with some tears in my beer.

So, hold on. If you were carrying the bag on your shoulder, why would it matter if the bag handle broke? Were you holding the paper bag by the handles while atop your shoulder? I think that's physically impossible.

Do you mean your arm was positioned through the bag handles, and the handle broke through your arm? Why would you carry a normal paper bag that way and not think it would break?

And if you brought in 100 records, what did you bring them inside with? Crates?

Why not use a crate to bring out your new shiny records?

Why does it matter which particular records they were? It would suck even if they were records no one had heard of from the dollar bin.

And if the vinyl is fine, what the fuck is the problem, and why are you crying?

1 minute ago, HoneyFrosted said:

So, hold on. If you were carrying the bag on your shoulder, why would it matter if the bag handle broke? Were you holding the paper bag by the handles while atop your shoulder? I think that's physically impossible.

Do you mean your arm was positioned through the bag handles, and the handle broke through your arm? Why would you carry a normal paper bag that way and not think it would break?

Why does it matter which particular records they were? It would suck even if they were records no one had heard of from the dollar bin.

So many questions and they're all pretty good ones.

1 hour ago, HoneyFrosted said:

Reusable shopping bag means a canvas type bag to me.

I imagined this as OP holding the bag by the handle with it slung over their shoulder, resting on their back.

Also, I had the same feeling about this part.

Yikes.

I realize I may catch some heat for prolonging this topic, but I'll try to give it a clean break. This is just an anecdote. I thought this was an appropriate forum for it, but I was wrong. I'll stick to posts about new releases (though they're usually posted already by the time I hear about them).

As for why the damage even matters, when the records still play fine - just like denting a new car. Does it matter? Of course not. Does it suck? Of course.

7 minutes ago, 74R said:

Yeah it sucks man. Identical thing happened to me but I was pretty lucky no real damage happened. Probably helps that I'm only 2' 10" tall though.

On an unrelated note, you should try to talk some sense into Daenerys. She's really heading into Westeros with a lot of emotion.