Help Sorting a Large Collection

Hi. I have 200-300 vinyl albums for sale and I need help. this morning I brought 100 to a local music/collectibles store. The owner flipped through my vinyl and said he will buy 50 for $50 or 100 for $90. 

He had one condition: a few of the albums were packaged/stored differently. The owner said that these albums were not particularly rare or valuable, but insisted they be part of any sale. 

I don't this this guy is lying to me but I want to make sure. 

One of the albums is Sgt. Peppers by the Beatles. Its in a very old plastic wrap, looks like original packaging, from when who knows. There are a few small rips in the plastic. The only date I found on the back is 1967 for the copy-write. How do I find out an aprx. market value for these albums? I felt uneasy taking the guys word for it and handing them over for $1 a piece.

Thanks. I can post pictures later if anyone is interested.

5 minutes ago, Shlebs said:

That sounds like the 67 chocolate press tbh. Super fucking rare because oddly enough the record itself has this slight chocolate taste when you lick it. If you confirm it then you have a realllllly expensive record on your hands.

Shlebs you get the Good Samaritan award for the day! You added years to my life just checking in here!

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Definitely sounds like the 67 choco press, good find!

Absolutely! Good thing you checked in here first or he would have picked you, man!!!

Edited by drds89
Shlebs

41 minutes ago, 33andathird said:

Hi. I have 200-300 vinyl albums for sale and I need help. this morning I brought 100 to a local music/collectibles store. The owner flipped through my vinyl and said he will buy 50 for $50 or 100 for $90. 

He had one condition: a few of the albums were packaged/stored differently. The owner said that these albums were not particularly rare or valuable, but insisted they be part of any sale. 

I don't this this guy is lying to me but I want to make sure. 

One of the albums is Sgt. Peppers by the Beatles. Its in a very old plastic wrap, looks like original packaging, from when who knows. There are a few small rips in the plastic. The only date I found on the back is 1967 for the copy-write. How do I find out an aprx. market value for these albums? I felt uneasy taking the guys word for it and handing them over for $1 a piece.

Thanks. I can post pictures later if anyone is interested.

Discogs.com

You'll have to compare the matrix on the records to find your pressing. If they are old 60's and 70's LPs, they are likely not worth more than a few bucks each. They pressed a lot of those by the 100's of thousands, if not more.

thanks for the replies, and thanks Thomas for discogs.com. I'll do the work tonight and report any nice finds. I licked Sgt. Pepper record, no chocolate taste :(, just a hit of dirty hippy. it not even sealed anymore, I'll be lucky to get $.75 now. 

Edited by 33andathird

11 minutes ago, 33andathird said:

thanks for the replies, and thanks Thomas for discogs.com. I'll do the work tonight and report any nice finds. I licked Sgt. Pepper record, no chocolate taste :(, just a hit of dirty hippy. it not even sealed anymore, I'll be lucky to get $.75 now. 

If by "dirty hippy" you mean "cheese and onions," then Bob's your uncle. 

Here's the deal: you're never going to get what they're "worth" from a record store. A record store is in the business of putting music in people's hands. Sometimes that means buying lots of crap (and probably that's most of what you got) to just get a few good records. Plus, record stores have overhead, rent, utility bills, etc. It's a business. They do all the work in getting records ready for sale. 

If you don't do the research, clean the records, visually grade them, put them in polybags, etc then you can't demand retail price. Your best bet is to do some research and try to play them since I'm guessing you have very little experience with grading records (which is not rocket science, but definitely takes years to really understand), and then put an ad up on Craig's List. You might get some younger collectors who'll take a chance on you if you sell them slightly under what they go for online.

Edited by somethingvinyl

31 minutes ago, 33andathird said:

youll do just fine here

19 hours ago, 33andathird said:

There's a very dirty joke in there but I refuse to descend to that level today

Discogs will give you a good sense of retail prices, remember that a shop will pay you less than that so that they can earn a profit.... and even less if they need to buy 100 lousy records to get the 5 that are actually worth enough to stay out of the dollar bin. Also, a "Music/Collectibles" store may not be the best bet, you might do better at a real record store. Where are you? I am sure someone here can recommend a place.

You may have decent luck on craigslist selling the collection as one lot.. Typically when selling in bulk like that you will get less per disc, but you'll move everything all at once.