Melvins - Houdini LP | Stoner Witch LP | Stag 2xLP

I got my black copy of Stoner Witch today.  Couple of things have me frowning:  1.  It has Side A center labels on both sides of the record.  2.  On the true Side A, there was quite a bit of loud pops throughout much of the side.  I didn't bother to clean it before playing it because it's in one of those inner sleeves that's lined with plastic and i didn't see any visual particles on the record (the record itself looks and feels like really good quality).  Going to run it through a cleaning and hopefully that will fix the snaps and pops on Side A.  Other than those 2 things it sounds really good.

Just now, bca683 said:

I didn't have the label problem, but my stoner witch was pretty noisey on both sides. Other two lps sound great though. 

And you gave it a cleaning and it's still noisy?  I'm working my way through Side B now and it's pretty quiet, none of the snaps and pops I was hearing on Side A.

Yeah my copy of Houdini is also off center. Has some clicks and pops towards the the last song on Side A. I didn't clean it either but I don't really have a cleaning method that gets deep into the grooves aside from spray and a cloth. It might just be me but it also seems quiet, my speakers are maxed out but I want it louder. 

I felt like Houdini sounded a bit quiet and muffled, but I figured that's just the way that album sounds. I haven't heard it in years and when I did it was either in the car or at home, both on very crappy super budget equipment.

i thought it might be my equipment or a defective pressing, but the drums sound great, so...

Listened to all 3 this weekend.  Great clean, centered pressings. Really surprising for united these days. The fact that all 4 records have no issues is a modern miracle

All sound really good to me

Kinda surprised that stag became a 2xlp and not the others as they are all about 50 mins

Edited by youspinmeround

3 hours ago, Barberbro said:

Heard of the band but never really listened to them. Took a listen this morning and I'm digging what I'm hearing. Is there one album that's is better than the others? 

Really, any of these 3 are likely fairly accessible and solid entry points.   There a tonne of stuff, a lot of throw away and completist only, but these three albums are firmly solid.  I'd also recommend Lysol, then Bullhead.  I got into them with Ozma a long time ago! :)

18 hours ago, kevbayer said:

How come Freak Puke vets no love, it is super good. Trevor brings a completely different vibe to them.

I need to revisit Freak Puke. I may have only listened to it twice.

18 hours ago, yancey47 said:

They started to lose me a bit starting at (A) Senile Animal but yes Freak Puke is great. Almost Everything up to that is amazing. 

(A) Senile Animal is one of my favorites, if not THE favorite.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my copies of Stag and Stoner Witch from a local store. Houdini is sold out in a lot of places including there. Was forced to pay an extra $10 and get it from a seller via amazon...

Bad news though - Stag only came with 1 of the 2 records (first record), will be dropping it back tomorrow for a replacement. Listening to it now. Excellent pressing. Nice and quiet and sounds super clean and huge! Just wish my daughter wasn't in bed asleep as this deserves to be played a lot louder than it currently is! 

Stoner Witch next!

• jhulud locked this topic