Bands You Hated When Your Were A Teenager But Now Like

This was originally a Twitter game on Jonah Raydio. Basically just name artists or bands you hated when you were a rebellious kid but have come to like/love now that you're old and feeble.

Rage Against The Machine - everyone I went to school with who liked them were usually loud stoner kids who wore chain wallets. I never paid much attention to them until my tattoo guy had  XX on while I was getting work done and I learned the error of my ways.

When I was a younger teenager I pretty much dismissed all country period. As I got older I learned the difference between true country and 'radio country'. I'm glad I opened my eyes, and ears, cause damn there is a lot of good country out there.

Funny thing, there are probably more bands that I could say I liked as a teenager and hate now, rather than bands I hated then and like now.

If I think of any I'll add it to this post.

Radiohead, Rolling Stones, and Beatles

i guess, technically, I had my "ah ha" moment with Radiohead when I was 19....but I absolutely loathed them before that so its a pretty hard and quick 180.

(No Surprises was playing in a music store [not a record store...they only sold CDs] that was going out of business and I asked the guy behind the counter what it was...responded "Radiohead" and I'm sure I turned beat-red from the immediate humiliation inside of me admitting to myself that I really enjoyed that song.  So I went to my buddy, who was a HUGE fan, and after years of giving him shit, I humbly asked him to burn me a mix CD...which he obliged)

Rolling Stones I was only familiar with the 80's/90's radio hits that I hated (and still don't own nor listen to anything past the 70's with their catalog) so the first time I heard Paint It Black I asked the ladies I worked with "who is that?" and they said "The Rolling Stones?" and I'm sure I said something along the lines of "that doesn't sound like the crap I've heard from them before" and this started my digging

Beatles, my mom was huge fan of their easy pop stuff....which I hated.   When I finally had friends playing stuff like the white album and rubber soul around me it was an immediate gravitation towards it for me...now I really enjoy the early pop stuff just as much as their later stuff

in the vein of stuff I hated as a teenager and still hate that most people tell me is absolute blasphemous: Elvis Presley, R.E.M., Dead Kennedeys, Grateful Dead, U2, and Fleetwood Mac.  Off the top of my head

Edited by birdwell

50 minutes ago, chkadea said:

Off the top of my head, Neil Young, mostly due to my ignorance. The soundtrack to the movie Dead Man turned my opinion around a few years ago!

That movie is god damn incredible. Love Iggy Pop in it. They actually pressed that album to vinyl. I used to come across it at 2nd Ave. in PDX every so often, but it was $40 so I could never pull the trigger.

4 hours ago, Shitty Rambo said:

This was originally a Twitter game on Jonah Raydio. Basically just name artists or bands you hated when you were a rebellious kid but have come to like/love now that you're old and feeble.

Rage Against The Machine - everyone I went to school with who liked them were usually loud stoner kids who wore chain wallets. I never paid much attention to them until my tattoo guy had  XX on while I was getting work done and I learned the error of my ways.

I completely get that. My middle / high school was the same. All the RATM fans were not my style so I just didn't bother listening. I don't remember when I finally picked up S/T, probably around my late teenage years, but it grew to be one of my most appreciated albums. Especially after knowing the history of Sound City, and how the album was made. Man, that is a must own for any collection.

47 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

That movie is god damn incredible. Love Iggy Pop in it. They actually pressed that album to vinyl. I used to come across it at 2nd Ave. in PDX every so often, but it was $40 so I could never pull the trigger.

I completely get that. My middle / high school was the same. All the RATM fans were not my style so I just didn't bother listening. I don't remember when I finally picked up S/T, probably around my late teenage years, but it grew to be one of my most appreciated albums. Especially after knowing the history of Sound City, and how the album was made. Man, that is a must own for any collection.

I had only really heard Bulls On Parade and Sleep Now In The Fire, then the dude from the band climbed some rafters at the VMAs and just knew I didn't want to get down with any of that or have anything in common with guys who wanted, "do Jackass."

2 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

I had only really heard Bulls On Parade and Sleep Now In The Fire, then the dude from the band climbed some rafters at the VMAs and just knew I didn't want to get down with any of that or have anything in common with guys who wanted, "do Jackass."

RATM unfortunately got grouped in with System of A Down, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, and all that other stuff with those kids, so I just stayed far, far away. Which really sucks cause they're not really like them at all. Later I learned that Corey Taylor is amazing, but in high school you couldn't pay me to listen to those bands. I remember this one kid in particular that sounds exactly like what you're describing. He was like a stoner / hippie / metal hybrid; wore all the aforementioned bands' tees, had dred locks, smelled of weed and body odor, and acted like a goof. Thankfully I separated Rage from him, and the other bands.

At least we can take solace in the fact we like and appreciate them now.

Remember this gem? Them playing 'Killing In The Name' live, and being asked not to curse. The irony of the BBC asking them not to curse when the line is "fuck you, I won't do what I tell me". Love it.

I always hated Bob Dylan's voice so I never really gave his music a chance. Besides his work with The Travelling Wilburys, I was only familiar with a few of his hits and that's about it. Six months ago I found a copy of Nashville Skyline at a goodwill that I just couldn't pass up for $1. I had no idea he created a country album and was blown away by how good it was. The rest is history, I've been getting into his music more and more, he's such a fantastic songwriter.

That Rage video up above is beautiful. Never seen it before. So glad they decided to start cursing at the best part.

Anyways, I'm trying to think and I guess maybe The Beatles could be one. Used to really not like them and now they're all right to me. But most of the band's I dislike I still dislike now, haha. I might come back when I remember some.

Oh, Yelawolf. Really been digging his music lately.

57 minutes ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

When I was 13 and just discovering punk/hardcore via Sonic Youth, Minor Threat, Fugazi etc. I pretty much hated Black Flag. Haha. Fuck me. 

Definitely fuck you. Haha. It's kind of funny cause that's what I grew up on. Damaged was my favorite album when I was 13. Still is one of my favorite albums of all time.

I use to hate on MCR all the time, but I actually really like Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge now, I still dislike The Black Parade and Danger Days though, don't think I'll ever like them. I also used to dislike the Smiths, but Deftones cover of Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want made me like them, but I still hate Morrissey's music, other than that I think that's it, very possible this'll change since I'm barely 19 and high school was a year ago for me.

53 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Definitely fuck you. Haha. It's kind of funny cause that's what I grew up on. Damaged was my favorite album when I was 13. Still is one of my favorite albums of all time.

It took a couple years until I even cared enough to revisit. Funny enough, I finally got into them when I was around 18 and a total metal head. I guess that's why my favorite of theirs to this day is My War (also an all time fav of mine). It's the most natural and seamless transition there is from Sabbath to hardcore, haha. But it didn't take long for me to learn to appreciate the rest of their catalog after finding the initial spark of interest and they've been up there with the greats ever since. 

2 hours ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

It took a couple years until I even cared enough to revisit. Funny enough, I finally got into them when I was around 18 and a total metal head. I guess that's why my favorite of theirs to this day is My War (also an all time fav of mine). It's the most natural and seamless transition there is from Sabbath to hardcore, haha. But it didn't take long for me to learn to appreciate the rest of their catalog after finding the initial spark of interest and they've been up there with the greats ever since. 

I end up just signing "Myyyyyyyyyyyy WARRRRR" all the time. That might be my favorite Rollins piece honestly. It always goes back and forth. 

6 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

I end up just signing "Myyyyyyyyyyyy WARRRRR" all the time. That might be my favorite Rollins piece honestly. It always goes back and forth. 

There's few things more satisfying than walking home from work on a particularly shitty day, that song on your headphones, looking into people's eyes and thinking 'you're one of them, you're one of them, you're one of them, you're one of THEM, YOU'RE ONE OF THEM. MYYY WAAAAAARR'. Haha. Fucking LOVE that song. 

Edited by Eliminator Jr.

I have way more bands I liked that I now cringe hard about. My dad was always playing classic rock and I still love all that. At my awkward early teens I was into all the nu metal I could get my grubby little hands on as well as going mad for HIM I never really clicked to hard with all the pop punk/ska punk my friends liked and that disposition has definitely lingered on into my late twenties.

I would have said I hated Country music if you'd asked me at 13 and I'd probably have called My Bloody Valentine awful noise but these are things I was never really exposed to until my late teens. 

Most of the stuff I dismissed in high school didn't have much lasting value so I don't even remember who I didn't like. 

One that does stick out is grateful dead. I still am not a huge fan, but I have learned to appreciate their cultural significance and the impact they had on so many other bands.