Bands You Hated When Your Were A Teenager But Now Like

I really hated The Pixies for years.  I'm not even sure why, I just developed a blind dismissal.  When people brought them up in conversation, I would just shrug and say something about how I thought Fight Club was a cool movie.

I still don't listen to them a lot, but I'll put them on every now and then and I'm not a dick about it when other people listen to them.

On 6/26/2016 at 8:06 AM, kylekrische said:

The Tragically Hip 

Holy bazoly this has been my father's favorite band for almost 3 decades. Since we exchanged 'one CD to listen to in earnest' (he game me fully completely), we have gone to see them live together and I now proudly own Fully Completely on vinyl.

I think I was 24 at the time, but could confidently say I was the youngest folk at that show. They truly rock and it took some time to appreciate.

haha thats a great story.

It's much different here in Canada. Even now and I can't go a day at work with the radio on and not hear a Hip song. With the news of Gord's cancer its about three times a day no matter what station you're listening to. As a kid in Canada you hear and see the Hip everywhere and only parents seem to like it so you instinctually hate it. I can't think of anyone I know who couldn't name a Hip song

3 hours ago, kylekrische said:

haha thats a great story.

It's much different here in Canada. Even now and I can't go a day at work with the radio on and not hear a Hip song. With the news of Gord's cancer its about three times a day no matter what station you're listening to. As a kid in Canada you hear and see the Hip everywhere and only parents seem to like it so you instinctually hate it. I can't think of anyone I know who couldn't name a Hip song

Haha totally. I never really liked the Hip that much - kind of thought they were okay, but nothing special. I did though randomly see Gord Downie play his solo stuff (with a backing band that included Julie Doiron and Dale Morningstar) when my cousin and I happened to be in Cleveland in 2003 with nothing to do at night. Maybe 60 people there, mostly Canadians, and it was sort of weird to see someone who could fill a stadium in Canada at such a small venue. Was a great show - I've really dug his solo records far more than the Hip.

For me the big didn't like as a teenager band was Wilco...sort of.  When I was 12, Being There was just out, and Outtasite (Outta Mind) was on the radio/Muchmusic, and I really liked the song. But when I bought Being There, I found it to be too country....so I sold it and bought some ska CDs instead. About 6 years later, when I was 18 or so, I got back into Wilco (right around the release of YHF), and had to re-buy Being There. 

10 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

I do still dislike Bob Marley/Reggae. This could be a systemic effect from living in SoCal and having to deal with the hardcore Sublime worship that happens here.

Part of the problem I think is that there are people who 'love reggae' but couldn't name another artist other than Bob Marley (or more likely, they will say 'the Wailers'). 

There is some amazing reggae from the 70s onward - I particularly love listening to really spaced out dub like Lee 'Scratch' Perry's stuff, but it does get old quick. 

I still hate Bob Marley though. And Sublime for that matter.

My high school aged brain probably would have imploded if I got a glimpse at what I listen to now.

I've gotten really into old country the last few years, particularly George Jones.  I've listened to GJ more than any other artist/band in the last 3-4 years.  If you're into country and haven't taken the time to listen to early Jones, you're fucking up big time.

4 hours ago, Shitty Rambo said:

living in SoCal and having to deal with the hardcore Sublime worship that happens here.

This, so much this.

I wouldn't say i'm not a fan of Bob Marley but my wife loves him so I can tolerate/enjoy it. If i listen to any other reggae its usually cause im listening to a ska station on Pandora and Toots or something like that comes in on the mix.

4 hours ago, Sidney Crosley said:

Part of the problem I think is that there are people who 'love reggae' but couldn't name another artist other than Bob Marley (or more likely, they will say 'the Wailers'). 

There is some amazing reggae from the 70s onward - I particularly love listening to really spaced out dub like Lee 'Scratch' Perry's stuff, but it does get old quick. 

I still hate Bob Marley though. And Sublime for that matter.

I don't mind 1st/2nd wave Ska, and that has a heavy Reggae vibe. I just don't like super positive/feel good music I guess haha.

I also don't think Sublime is sonically atrocious, I just hate how most people in CA act like Bradley Nowell was a fucking virtuoso and not a drug addict who wrote dumb lyrics and left a kid behind.

There used to be so many bands I disliked more for their annoying fans than their music which now that I've mellowed out I don't mind hearing in the background (and occasionally may even queue up on Spotify): Radiohead, Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, Sublime, etc...

But not Dave Matthews.

Never Dave Matthews.

I was just thinking about this.

Talking Heads.

i used to like a few of their singles AT BEST, and think they were just terrible otherwise. I think it just took me some time, because that handful of songs I enjoyed helped me get into the rest of it, and in the last couple of years I guess I've just become ready to join the cult.

Smashing Pumpkins. 

I hated them growing up, probably mostly because of disliking some kids that were die-hard SP fans. It wasn't until I heard Adore in college that I changed my mind. That album blew me away, and I eventually went back and really enjoyed the rest of their albums. Adore is still my favorite though. 

Man, you remind me of not liking the Pumpkins on first sight, too. They are so deeply manifested among my all time favorite groups now that I forgot about that.  First thing I saw on mtv was Zero and I couldn't stand Billy's vocals. In my defense though, I was seven. Took me about ten years to shake that initial sentiment and fall in love. 

11 hours ago, achillesstand7 said:

Smashing Pumpkins. 

I hated them growing up, probably mostly because of disliking some kids that were die-hard SP fans. It wasn't until I heard Adore in college that I changed my mind. That album blew me away, and I eventually went back and really enjoyed the rest of their albums. Adore is still my favorite though. 

7 hours ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

Man, you remind me of not liking the Pumpkins on first sight, too. They are so deeply manifested among my all time favorite groups now that I forgot about that.  First thing I saw on mtv was Zero and I couldn't stand Billy's vocals. In my defense though, I was seven. Took me about ten years to shake that initial sentiment and fall in love. 

One of those bands whose fanbase turns you off from them, for me at least. I like some of their stuff, but i went to high school with a fuckton of nu-goth kids who were really into Tool, the Pumpkins, and Mindless Self Indulgence, so that ruined it for me. I still fucking hate Tool and will never change.