PO NOW: Pg.lost - Versus | 2xLP | Pelagic

1 hour ago, drds89 said:

Ahahaha, now I remember, it's pg.lost that Evan doesn't like. at. all. period. Not even the tracks Yes, I am; Vultures; or Despardicios pt. I & II (Split with Wang Wen)! You're dead to me;)  He didn't get sleepmakeswaves or Pet Slimmers for a while either. But we both collapsed after the last CUTE adventure. 

Pet Slimmers didn't get me AT ALL at first listen, I thought the Isis clone was too much of a detractor.  The fact that it wasn't Aaron's voice I was hearing over the music was just too off-putting.  But then I heard "I Am The Ocean" and everything changed.  

Sleepmakeswaves is just always solid anyway, if a little predictable.  I can't even imagine how powerful that shit is live though...

But I have some opinions I think that digress with most of you, especially concerning Russian Circles.  Like, yeah... I definitely like them, and they have some awesome stuff, but I never find myself flipping out over their material.  Although the new album certainly has a lot of great stuff.  But I'd be okay never listening to them again, I think.  It's weird, and hard to explain.  

Same with Lost In Kiev.  I've tried so hard to love this band, and all the elements are there.  But Motions just does absolutely nothing for me.  The new songs have promise though.  Really want to hear that material; anybody care to upload a .rar file for me?

Edited by Gumbo72203

18 hours ago, drds89 said:

Ahahaha, now I remember, it's pg.lost that Evan doesn't like. at. all. period. Not even the tracks Yes, I am; Vultures; or Despardicios pt. I & II (Split with Wang Wen)! You're dead to me;)  He didn't get sleepmakeswaves or Pet Slimmers for a while either. But we both collapsed after the last CUTE adventure. 

Haha always being intrigued by new post-rock albums (even of bands I dislike) brought me in here to read this.  Maybe I'll have the oppo effect of Owen here & this will be the album to finally convert me!  Although I have my doubts haha.  Will give it a listen once on Spotify & report back!

side note:  Bring on the new SMW & PS!!

EDIT:  After the 2 songs on Spotify, I can safely say "Heard one pg.lost song, head them all". 

Edited by mrewest

11 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Same with Lost In Kiev.  I've tried so hard to love this band, and all the elements are there.  But Motions just does absolutely nothing for me.  The new songs have promise though.  Really want to hear that material; anybody care to upload a .rar file for me?

It's on Spotify.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my package last week.  Haven't had time to spin the vinyl yet, but the CD has been in my car for the past couple days.  

This album.....  is so different.  It's almost like an entirely different band.  I'm still not sure how I feel about it, however I will say that I think these tunes will CRUSH on stage.  After hearing how much better "Vultures" was live, I'm looking at this material and kind of thinking about it as if I was hearing it loud, completely engulfed in a dark club.  I think this stuff will work a lot better in that context.  It's like this is a blueprint for something with more dimensions that can only be experienced at a show?

A couple funny thoughts though:   "Monolith" starts off sounding just like "Welcome To The Machine" by Pink Floyd.  Thought that was kind of cool.  And the title track's opening keyboards make me think of a mashup between Deadmau5's "Ghosts 'N Stuff" and "Some Chords".  

Mine came on Friday. I asked them to ship it outside the sleeve...so they shipped the vinyl outside of the paper sleeve too, between two cardboard stiffeners. It's pretty scratched, hope it plays alright because I can't see a replacement for the forest sunburst being possible :(

I like all the wide range of opinions, but it's a funny reminder how subjective music is.  I haven't listened to this album digitally at all, only vinyl.

Side 3...which is Deserter and Along the Edges...I LOVED! Deserter got me hooked on this album.  I like electronics though.  It's not as good as Key, but I think it's really solid.  Makes me chuckle that Deserter were a couple of people's least favorite songs. 

On 9/19/2016 at 10:40 AM, Mattallurgist said:

Mine came on Friday. I asked them to ship it outside the sleeve...so they shipped the vinyl outside of the paper sleeve too, between two cardboard stiffeners. It's pretty scratched, hope it plays alright because I can't see a replacement for the forest sunburst being possible :(

They did this with my copies of Key and In Never Out, so I didn't ask them to do it again.  Dude obviously doesn't know what we mean lol.  You should still send them a message, because people who don't understand this concept need to be made aware.  Some guy on Discogs sent me my copy of "In Determinism of Morality" by Rosetta the same way, with the records in the middle of the gatefold, and said "People do this all the time."  No, no they fucking don't you idiot.  After I paid like $50 for it as well...  thankfully, somehow they didn't have any scratches.  Mindblowing.  

6 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

They did this with my copies of Key and In Never Out, so I didn't ask them to do it again.  Dude obviously doesn't know what we mean lol.  You should still send them a message, because people who don't understand this concept need to be made aware.  Some guy on Discogs sent me my copy of "In Determinism of Morality" by Rosetta the same way, with the records in the middle of the gatefold, and said "People do this all the time."  No, no they fucking don't you idiot.  After I paid like $50 for it as well...  thankfully, somehow they didn't have any scratches.  Mindblowing.  

Yeah, I'll definitely drop them a line! I'd have been much more mad had it been my copy of Key - when I ordered the other two they were shipped perfectly which made it more infuriating. Had I paid $50 for it I'd be going through the roof right about now.

8 hours ago, Mattallurgist said:

Yeah, I'll definitely drop them a line! I'd have been much more mad had it been my copy of Key - when I ordered the other two they were shipped perfectly which made it more infuriating. Had I paid $50 for it I'd be going through the roof right about now.

Yeah.... I was pretty livid about that Rosetta record haha.  I'm generally pretty chill, but if you fuck with my music....  that's the raw spot.  Same with people who don't know how to grade properly.  Bought the splatter version of "Old Stories" by Giants that I'd been searching for forever, and dude had it as NM/M and it's scratched and has a skip and the gatefold is worn and has mashed corners.  Bastard.  

But thankfully my PG.Lost records play fine, aside from my copy of It's Not Me, It's You! being super noisy.  Kinda bummed about that, because I had to drop some serious coin for that one as well.  But I think it's more the pressing than the dude who bought it, because it seems like it's in fine shape.  It's just funny to me how some pressings are amazing, and some are absolutely atrocious (This Patch of Sky - S/T for instance).  What a shame, that one.

10 hours ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

First time giving this album a listen and.. I don't know. It's kind of a 50+ minute meditation on Mogwai's Auto Rock. Which is pretty weird, I guess. 

I feel you on that. I've given it one listen, and haven't really felt compelled to give it another go. I'm sure I will eventually, but nothing has sparked for me.

It's a half a notch batch from Key, but > INO (and 95% of the musical universe). 

If they had done Versus and then Key, the trajectory would be more obviously upward I think.

The Auto Rock mention is interesting, as I didn't get that at all - next listen, which I look forward to, I'm going to keep this in mind.

Matt, you've got Green Day in your head, which will take at least 30 days before you can properly listen to pg.lost again!

1 hour ago, drds89 said:

It's a half a notch batch from Key, but > INO (and 95% of the musical universe). 

If they had done Versus and then Key, the trajectory would be more obviously upward I think.

The Auto Rock mention is interesting, as I didn't get that at all - next listen, which I look forward to, I'm going to keep this in mind.

Matt, you've got Green Day in your head, which will take at least 30 days before you can properly listen to pg.lost again!

Hahahaha, fair point, Don. But, I mean, I can always spin Key and be happy. As far as this one goes, I think I'll just have to give it a cooling off period, and then revisit it. Like I've said a bunch of times now, post rock for me has been more miss lately this year. But we're also getting a whole mess of it, so I'm not crying about it. But by the time I'll be able to listen to this again we'll be seeing Caspian. ; )

Just had my first listen on vinyl, and the sound was pretty fantastic.  I'm kind of meh on the album.  It's not bad, by any means, but it lacks a truly defining moment of transcendence.  The first track is great, and so is Deserter, the first track on side C.

I don't know if I've mentioned it here yet, but having seen them live, and seeing how differently some of the songs translate....  I feel like this album's material will stand up very well live.  Kind of like how "Still Alright" falls a little flat, because it's such a slow build.  It's got a completely different feel when you're there watching them perform something like that than it is listening to it at home.  And given how much better "Vultures" is live than on record.... I can see this material really taking off, as it did when I saw Ikaros and Off The Beaten Path played.  

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I don't know if I've mentioned it here yet, but having seen them live, and seeing how differently some of the songs translate....  I feel like this album's material will stand up very well live.  [...]

And given how much better "Vultures" is live than on record....

I think I've read this like 14x before from you...so, yeah, you've mentioned it before 

On 10/3/2016 at 7:06 PM, Sasan said:

I think I've read this like 14x before from you...so, yeah, you've mentioned it before 

Haha, okay.  I never know what sinks in and what people see and internalize.  It's just so crazy though, man.  Such a difference.  People have said the same thing about The End of The Ocean as well.  I hope some day that I get to experience that band live.  Their songs are so incredible.