New To Records. Looking for ID help please

Probably not the best spot but I didn't want to start a new thread. I was just given about 350 records that were found in two different abandoned storage lockers. Half are 80s dance and hip hop singles and the other half are classic and psych rock from the 60S. Very happy to find first pressing of the seeds first two albums in there. I am excited about that half but the dj stuff not so much. I am still going to check values because I found one that's been selling on discogs for around $75 but the majority are $1-$2. 

I won't list and ship anything for under $50 so I am guessing I will bring them to a record store. Any idea what store in the  CA Bay Area would be best and if they will price individually or just  offer a bulk price.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Dunc said:

I won't list and ship anything for under $50 

Why?  You'll be getting pennies on the dollar from a record store.  And they will only cherry pick you.  Those DJ records are mainly garbage.  Your best bet is to pick out what you want, then put an ad on craigslist for the rest at like $.50 - $1 bulk purchase, must take all.  I'd even separate the DJ garbage and sell it for like $.25 each in bulk. 

Then go for $1 - $2 bulk on the rock. 

9 minutes ago, whosnotwo said:

Why?  You'll be getting pennies on the dollar from a record store.  And they will only cherry pick you.  Those DJ records are mainly garbage.  Your best bet is to pick out what you want, then put an ad on craigslist for the rest at like $.50 - $1 bulk purchase, must take all.  I'd even separate the DJ garbage and sell it for like $.25 each in bulk. 

Then go for $1 - $2 bulk on the rock. 

Oops, I meant $5.

Thanks for the info. The rock is actually all really good stuff minus a couple so I am keeping most of it. The dj stuff is all garbage minus a couple.  I knew I would be getting pennies on the dollar I just don't want to deal with selling it. I drive into the city every now and then to go record shopping so thought maybe I could dump them there. I'll give Craigslist a try first. It just doesn't seem like I will reach a big enough audience to find people that want these. I thought about posting them here but I have a feeling I wouldn't sell a single one of them.

Edited by Dunc

1 minute ago, Dunc said:

Oops, I meant $5.

Thanks for the info. The rock is actually all really good stuff minus a couple so I am keeping most of it. The dj stuff is all garbage minus a couple.  I knew I would be getting pennies on the dollar I just don't want to deal with selling it. I drive into the city every now and then to go record shopping so thought maybe I could dump them there. I'll give Craigslist a try first. It just doesn't seem like I will reach a big enough audience to find people that want these. I thought about posting them here but I have a feeling I wouldn't sell a single one of them.

HaHa.  well that makes sense.  I don't waste time under $9.  

And yes, you're spot on with the rest.  A records shop, unless they specialize in DJ vinyl, wouldn't want them.  May just have to give them away.  I've been down that road before.  Good luck. 

• 4 months later...

I was going to post this in the most recent topic about this band but figured maybe here is better. I'm looking for a bootleg / demo recording in any format for the "Set Your Goals" album by the band CIV. I heard there is a version out there that is like a demo or rough mix of that album but I'm pretty sure it was never an official release. If anyone has info on it I would be grateful.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

So I found this today and can't find any info on this pressing, I'm usually pretty good with this stuff, it's a Japanese pressing and isn't a gatefold.

Here is the Discogs link: https://www.discogs.com/Young-Tuxedo-Brass-Band-Ja…/…/332478

I can't find a Japanese press or a non-gatefold edition anywhere.

I'm stumped, any help?

Image may contain: one or more peopleNo automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:06 PM, Dunc said:

Probably not the best spot but I didn't want to start a new thread. I was just given about 350 records that were found in two different abandoned storage lockers. Half are 80s dance and hip hop singles and the other half are classic and psych rock from the 60S. Very happy to find first pressing of the seeds first two albums in there. I am excited about that half but the dj stuff not so much. I am still going to check values because I found one that's been selling on discogs for around $75 but the majority are $1-$2. 

I won't list and ship anything for under $50 so I am guessing I will bring them to a record store. Any idea what store in the  CA Bay Area would be best and if they will price individually or just  offer a bulk price.

Be sure you are looking at 'completed sales' and not asking prices, people can ask anything.

Most record stores are gonna offer you 10-75 cents a record as a bulk lot depending on condition, titles, and if they think you know what you have. It sounds crazy low, but much of what they buy has to be dollar binned, some will sell and some will have to be trashed, they have to store them, price them, clean and rebag some, and pay people to sell them.

• 4 months later...

Anyone on here able to share some info on Make Do and Mend's End Measured Mile 3nd pressing variants? Discogs is all sorts of messed up as far as the pressings for this record goes. 2nd/3rd pressing info is all over the place with people selling marble variants as splatter variants, needs to really be fixed and it's hard when I don't have physical photos of every single variant besides an old tumblr post about the 2nd pressing being released. 

Thanks regardless.

End Measured Mile - 2nd pressings

In case any of you guys that replied check this. I have been selling the dj stuff like crazy on discogs and a couple swaps. It's all late 80s freestyle, house and other dance music. I have never heard of 90% of the stuff but have been selling anywhere from $5+$50. I learned a lot about selling going through that stuff. 

I've come here hoping someone can help me clear up what seems to be a common confusion. I am trying to find out exactly when Brian Eno's Here Come the Warm Jets was first released - specifically, was it in late 1973 or early 1974?

Wikipedia lists a January 1974 release, and cites "Strong, M. C. (1998). The Great Rock Discography". AllMusic also lists January 1974.

I have seen a number of other sources, however, that list it as a 1973 album. Among others, this Discogs page lists a November 1973 release for the LP:
https://www.discogs.com/Eno-Here-Come-The-Warm-Jets/release/35610

Can anybody shed any light on this inconsistency, or have better information?

On 6/4/2018 at 3:11 PM, RobertS19 said:

I've come here hoping someone can help me clear up what seems to be a common confusion. I am trying to find out exactly when Brian Eno's Here Come the Warm Jets was first released - specifically, was it in late 1973 or early 1974?

Wikipedia lists a January 1974 release, and cites "Strong, M. C. (1998). The Great Rock Discography". AllMusic also lists January 1974.

I have seen a number of other sources, however, that list it as a 1973 album. Among others, this Discogs page lists a November 1973 release for the LP:
https://www.discogs.com/Eno-Here-Come-The-Warm-Jets/release/35610

Can anybody shed any light on this inconsistency, or have better information?

Do the release dates pertain to the same country? Maybe one date was for the US and the other date for Europe?

• 2 months later...

Hi all, need a little help with my addition of dark side of the moon. All the serial numbers match the in the link below but my copy hasn't got the solid blue triangle. My dad would have been 22 at release so it could be a first pressing? 

https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon/release/1873013

Any help is much appreciated.

Hey guys thanks for taking time to look at my post! I just need a little help identifying what year/which pressing my Beatles White album was released. I know for sure it’s not the original first pressing, but I want to figure out which earlier re-pressing it is. 

1. The cover is a laminated white with embossed “THE BEATLES” lettering and at the bottom right where the original numbers are there’s “A 0511060” the A is about a 1/4 inch away from the numbers in from and the feel deep/stamped in. 

2. The back cover is white and in the top right it says “STEREO” 

3. The actual vinyl have the small lettering at the bottom that say “MFD. by capitol records inc. a subsidiary of capitol industries inc, U.S.A.” Then it says “MARCA REG. US PAT no. 2,631,859” 

4. The songs are numbered and Side 2 song 7 “Why don’t we do it in the road?” Has a question mark and ob-la-di. Obla- da is not one whole word so it has the dashes. 

5. All sides have SWBO-101 with (SWB01-101) under them. 

I think the cover and vinyl were put together and not originally together but I’d like to know which reprints they are. Thanks for the help!

On 8/28/2018 at 10:28 PM, Dpybus25 said:

Hey guys thanks for taking time to look at my post! I just need a little help identifying what year/which pressing my Beatles White album was released. I know for sure it’s not the original first pressing, but I want to figure out which earlier re-pressing it is. 

1. The cover is a laminated white with embossed “THE BEATLES” lettering and at the bottom right where the original numbers are there’s “A 0511060” the A is about a 1/4 inch away from the numbers in from and the feel deep/stamped in. 

2. The back cover is white and in the top right it says “STEREO” 

3. The actual vinyl have the small lettering at the bottom that say “MFD. by capitol records inc. a subsidiary of capitol industries inc, U.S.A.” Then it says “MARCA REG. US PAT no. 2,631,859” 

4. The songs are numbered and Side 2 song 7 “Why don’t we do it in the road?” Has a question mark and ob-la-di. Obla- da is not one whole word so it has the dashes. 

5. All sides have SWBO-101 with (SWB01-101) under them. 

I think the cover and vinyl were put together and not originally together but I’d like to know which reprints they are. Thanks for the help!

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/forums/music-corner.2/

Hello,

Wondering if anyone could give me any clarification on Sightly Stoopid - Chronchitis album. I recently bought one off of Discogs and it was supposed to be the 2007 gray varient but it arrived as a 2011 press that is gray and clear with side D etched with skeletons. Is this a bootleg? I was under the impression all 2011 re-press were black and 2007 was all gray. Pics link attached.

https://imgur.com/a/hRZHtBd

Thanks!

Suppose i had some elvis vinyl, unreleased due to the record label/producers not being happy with the first recording. What would these be worth.

They were sent to be melted down however some were saved, and didn’t have a Bside or anything printed on them. I imagine they’re probably one of a kind. There was either an error or element of the song they weren’t happy with so they were supposed to all be scrapped.

Thanks

7 hours ago, Kalept said:

Suppose i had some elvis vinyl, unreleased due to the record label/producers not being happy with the first recording. What would these be worth.

They were sent to be melted down however some were saved, and didn’t have a Bside or anything printed on them. I imagine they’re probably one of a kind. There was either an error or element of the song they weren’t happy with so they were supposed to all be scrapped.

Thanks

I’ll give you $3. 

More seriously, this is likely the wrong forum for that. I can only imagine there are some Elvis collectible groups/sites that would know more. Plus you’d need as many detailed pictures as possible. 

EDIT: Someone was able to help me identify this record: https://www.discogs.com/The-Purple-Puzzle-Tree-Record-1/release/3289986

Hoping someone can help me identify a specific record. I've searched through potential categories as much as I can on Discogs, but haven't had any luck. About 25 years ago in Sunday School, the teacher played us (what I remember to be) a vinyl record. It was a Christian story-style record that had something to do with the very beginning of time before the world existed. I recall God having a conversation with some creature or thing that existed before the world was created. I also recall there being grumbling, something to do with the color purple, and perhaps a hippopotamus. In short, it's a very odd memory that I've been seeking closure on. If I had to guess, I'd say the record was made anywhere from the 1950s to the early 1970s. Thank you for any of your help!

Edited by Yaddlezap

On 9/3/2018 at 11:31 AM, Stoopidhead said:

Hello,

Wondering if anyone could give me any clarification on Sightly Stoopid - Chronchitis album. I recently bought one off of Discogs and it was supposed to be the 2007 gray varient but it arrived as a 2011 press that is gray and clear with side D etched with skeletons. Is this a bootleg? I was under the impression all 2011 re-press were black and 2007 was all gray. Pics link attached.

https://imgur.com/a/hRZHtBd

Thanks!

You are the resident stoopidhead so if you don’t know no one would know. 

Looking for some guidance/information on a record I purchased a few years ago. Back in 2015, I purchased on Ebay a Test Pressing of Balance and Composure's "The Things We Think We're Missing". However I purchased what was said to be a UK Test Press, the record plays just fine however it didn't come with any sort of sleeve or indication of how limited the record is. I've seen the US version pressed by No Sleep Records that had custom made sleeves and were numbered. I messaged the UK label to which I got no response as to wether they were the people who sold the Test Press or if they could clarify it's numbering. Discogs unfortunately has no information on the matter either. So for years i've questioned this as to wether I have a real Test Press or if someone's made a bootleg copy. Below is a Popsike link of my purchase back in 2015.

https://www.popsike.com/Balance-and-Composure-UK-Test-Pressing-12-Vinyl-The-Things-We-Think/301516450486.html

Edited by mcpaddolive

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have 3 undiscovered records by Congresswoman Malinda Jackson Parker, a 12" LP,  a 10" and a 7" all signed and dated. She is famous for being included on the "Song's in the Key of Z" outsider complications. These songs have been undiscovered to this point. All 3 records are signed and dated. Anyone have more insight? 

Some info on her: http://liberialedger.blogspot.com/2006/07/congress-woman-malinda-jackson-parker.html

Here is her Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/artist/820049-Malinda-Jackson-Parker

rGa2f62.jpg5bR1klu.jpg8M0LBnJ.jpg8PrcwPM.jpgCEWjQsw.jpgfBZA18z.jpg

12 hours ago, JustSchwimmer said:

I have 3 undiscovered records by Congresswoman Malinda Jackson Parker, a 12" LP,  a 10" and a 7" all signed and dated. She is famous for being included on the "Song's in the Key of Z" outsider complications. These songs have been undiscovered to this point. All 3 records are signed and dated. Anyone have more insight? 

Some info on her: http://liberialedger.blogspot.com/2006/07/congress-woman-malinda-jackson-parker.html

Here is her Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/artist/820049-Malinda-Jackson-Parker

rGa2f62.jpg5bR1klu.jpg8M0LBnJ.jpg8PrcwPM.jpgCEWjQsw.jpgfBZA18z.jpg

How could we possibly have any insight if you are the first person to discover them?

Probably some value there - her LP on Discogs is going for a pretty penny. There's definitely an interest in outsider music and private press. Where did they come from? 

Might be worth recording some samples and checking in with some blogs focusing on weird/outsider music like Weirdest Band in the World, Weird Canada, etc.