New To Records. Looking for ID help please

1 hour ago, JustSchwimmer said:

Insight as in who she was as a person or info on the artist. Not looking for value. The records are unknown to this point not the person.

Irwin Chusid, who compiled the Songs in the Key of Z compilations also wrote a book about outsider music. Might be worth seeking out the book for more information about her. 

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I use discogs and Popsike to try and value rare records. Still, beyond that, a record is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. This becomes more true when it comes to test pressings, and to a lesser degree, first pressings of rare stuff.

• 2 months later...

Hey all, I'm having trouble getting info on an Alkaline trio variant. It is From Here to infirmary on Tan vinyl. NOT BROWN . It has the insert and date on the sleeve is the orinigal release date of the album.. I can't seem to find any information about this pressing.. Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2019 at 8:33 AM, RecordsandIPA said:

Hey all, I'm having trouble getting info on an Alkaline trio variant. It is From Here to infirmary on Tan vinyl. NOT BROWN . It has the insert and date on the sleeve is the orinigal release date of the album.. I can't seem to find any information about this pressing.. Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

It's one of the cobraside pressings from 2011. No known pressing numbers but it's one of the most rare variants so it's a pretty sweet find.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So my wife and I were out going to estate sales. We picked up a bunch of old 45s from the 70s at an estate sale. They were all like new. There was two copies of Jim Stafford Spiders and Snakes and one was fine. The other plays Chariots of fire on the A side and another tune form the movie on the B side. The label is fine not messed with.  Maybe this was more common than I know and I am just not aware of it. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.  link to the record on a turn table playing. https://youtu.be/imnixpWT6Xg

• 3 months later...

Hey all! New on the forums here, and I must say, this appears to be a very nice community here! For my first post I thought I'd present a mystery to all of you, and hopefully help me figure out what I've got. I recently purchased a copy of Bat Out Of Hell at a thrift store to supplement my fathers copy which he bought new in 1977! When I pulled the album out of the sleeve, the first thing I noticed was that the A-side label had no text or info on it aside from the most recent Epic Records logo and background. From what I know, this label was used from 1978 onward, and there is a repressing that was issued on this label in 1985, but there was no updated copyright on either the record label or the sleeve, which led me to believe that this wasn't the repressing. The release number as listed on the B-side is: PE-34974. The Matrix reads as follows on side A: (HXAP) PAL-34974 G5D. Here is side B: (H-AP)  PBL-34974-G3C. Hopefully we can figure out what I've got, or if this was just a fluke. I'd love to know! Here's some pictures for reference: http://imgur.com/gallery/WseKWhO. All the best, Dane

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 9:47 AM, iKokomo said:

I found this really neat record in a thrift store. It seems to be a commercial for a radio station for a Plymouth Valiant.

I was wondering if anyone had any background, historical information on this record?

Thanks!

spacer.png

https://books.google.com/books?id=UC0hAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA469&lpg=PA469&dq=plymouth+valiant+1962+commercial+record&source=bl&ots=Or0M0aSG2d&sig=ACfU3U3WCt98enE3GnToZt5Jt0f5mXHFtw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwia36iL-I_nAhVBbs0KHSvLDhEQ6AEwDnoECAIQAQ#v=onepage&q=plymouth valiant 1962 commercial record&f=false

you would probably get more knowledge/ interest from a car message board. Typically focused on music here. 

• 2 months later...

I have a copy of Coheed and Cambria - Second Stage Turbine Blade that is sealed, and i have NO IDEA what variant it is. 

green was tour only - didnt go to the tour they sold that on

black repress had an alternate cover

white repress had a WHITE VERSION hype sticker on it

my copy doesnt have any sort of hype sticker. anyone have any idea how to tell what variant it is without opening the shrink? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I came across a decent sized collection of old Shakespeare plays and was really drawn to the artwork more than anything. The vinyl's are in pretty incredible condition and the cover's are pretty good but some scuffing on the edges here and there. Any idea's? Looking to get rid of them but I might just drop them at a local library/college. 

https://imgur.com/a/tSn1p

Edited by fartnokor

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I buy and sell items on ebay. I want to start getting into the vinyl record market so I’ve gone to a few yard sales and collected hundreds of records for faily cheap

I’ve done my best comping most of them out between ones that were worth less than 10 dollars and one’s I think are worth over that. 

An issue I keep running into is a way to determine if an album is an original first pressing, and more often, when it is not a first pressing, how to determine which re issue it is? 

Ive read first pressings usually have a 4 letter / 4 digit combo on the spine ,  though it’s not a foolproof method, but when it comes to non first issue, the color of the label / mono / stereo it gets more tricky for me. 

I am including a picture below of one I’m having especially difficult time with. Bo Diddley is a gun slinger, Red (wine colored) label.

Bo Diddley is a gunslinger

I guess I’m asking is if there is a simpler way to determine exactly the record that I have that I’m not yet aware of ? 

Thanks very much for your time

Mike