Jump to content
Shitty Rambo

The 'Does anyone have info about this record?'/ 'What is this record or collection worth?' Thread

Recommended Posts

Probably not the best spot but I didn't want to start a new thread. I was just given about 350 records that were found in two different abandoned storage lockers. Half are 80s dance and hip hop singles and the other half are classic and psych rock from the 60S. Very happy to find first pressing of the seeds first two albums in there. I am excited about that half but the dj stuff not so much. I am still going to check values because I found one that's been selling on discogs for around $75 but the majority are $1-$2. 

 

I won't list and ship anything for under $50 so I am guessing I will bring them to a record store. Any idea what store in the  CA Bay Area would be best and if they will price individually or just  offer a bulk price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dunc said:

I won't list and ship anything for under $50 

Why?  You'll be getting pennies on the dollar from a record store.  And they will only cherry pick you.  Those DJ records are mainly garbage.  Your best bet is to pick out what you want, then put an ad on craigslist for the rest at like $.50 - $1 bulk purchase, must take all.  I'd even separate the DJ garbage and sell it for like $.25 each in bulk. 

 

Then go for $1 - $2 bulk on the rock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, whosnotwo said:

Why?  You'll be getting pennies on the dollar from a record store.  And they will only cherry pick you.  Those DJ records are mainly garbage.  Your best bet is to pick out what you want, then put an ad on craigslist for the rest at like $.50 - $1 bulk purchase, must take all.  I'd even separate the DJ garbage and sell it for like $.25 each in bulk. 

 

Then go for $1 - $2 bulk on the rock. 

Oops, I meant $5.

 

Thanks for the info. The rock is actually all really good stuff minus a couple so I am keeping most of it. The dj stuff is all garbage minus a couple.  I knew I would be getting pennies on the dollar I just don't want to deal with selling it. I drive into the city every now and then to go record shopping so thought maybe I could dump them there. I'll give Craigslist a try first. It just doesn't seem like I will reach a big enough audience to find people that want these. I thought about posting them here but I have a feeling I wouldn't sell a single one of them.

Edited by Dunc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dunc said:

Oops, I meant $5.

 

Thanks for the info. The rock is actually all really good stuff minus a couple so I am keeping most of it. The dj stuff is all garbage minus a couple.  I knew I would be getting pennies on the dollar I just don't want to deal with selling it. I drive into the city every now and then to go record shopping so thought maybe I could dump them there. I'll give Craigslist a try first. It just doesn't seem like I will reach a big enough audience to find people that want these. I thought about posting them here but I have a feeling I wouldn't sell a single one of them.

HaHa.  well that makes sense.  I don't waste time under $9.  

 

And yes, you're spot on with the rest.  A records shop, unless they specialize in DJ vinyl, wouldn't want them.  May just have to give them away.  I've been down that road before.  Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to post this in the most recent topic about this band but figured maybe here is better. I'm looking for a bootleg / demo recording in any format for the "Set Your Goals" album by the band CIV. I heard there is a version out there that is like a demo or rough mix of that album but I'm pretty sure it was never an official release. If anyone has info on it I would be grateful.

 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I found this today and can't find any info on this pressing, I'm usually pretty good with this stuff, it's a Japanese pressing and isn't a gatefold.

Here is the Discogs link: https://www.discogs.com/Young-Tuxedo-Brass-Band-Ja…/…/332478

I can't find a Japanese press or a non-gatefold edition anywhere.

I'm stumped, any help?

Image may contain: one or more peopleNo automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:06 PM, Dunc said:

Probably not the best spot but I didn't want to start a new thread. I was just given about 350 records that were found in two different abandoned storage lockers. Half are 80s dance and hip hop singles and the other half are classic and psych rock from the 60S. Very happy to find first pressing of the seeds first two albums in there. I am excited about that half but the dj stuff not so much. I am still going to check values because I found one that's been selling on discogs for around $75 but the majority are $1-$2. 

 

I won't list and ship anything for under $50 so I am guessing I will bring them to a record store. Any idea what store in the  CA Bay Area would be best and if they will price individually or just  offer a bulk price.

Be sure you are looking at 'completed sales' and not asking prices, people can ask anything.

 

  Most record stores are gonna offer you 10-75 cents a record as a bulk lot depending on condition, titles, and if they think you know what you have. It sounds crazy low, but much of what they buy has to be dollar binned, some will sell and some will have to be trashed, they have to store them, price them, clean and rebag some, and pay people to sell them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone on here able to share some info on Make Do and Mend's End Measured Mile 3nd pressing variants? Discogs is all sorts of messed up as far as the pressings for this record goes. 2nd/3rd pressing info is all over the place with people selling marble variants as splatter variants, needs to really be fixed and it's hard when I don't have physical photos of every single variant besides an old tumblr post about the 2nd pressing being released. 

 

Thanks regardless.

 

End Measured Mile - 2nd pressings

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case any of you guys that replied check this. I have been selling the dj stuff like crazy on discogs and a couple swaps. It's all late 80s freestyle, house and other dance music. I have never heard of 90% of the stuff but have been selling anywhere from $5+$50. I learned a lot about selling going through that stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've come here hoping someone can help me clear up what seems to be a common confusion. I am trying to find out exactly when Brian Eno's Here Come the Warm Jets was first released - specifically, was it in late 1973 or early 1974?

Wikipedia lists a January 1974 release, and cites "Strong, M. C. (1998). The Great Rock Discography". AllMusic also lists January 1974.

I have seen a number of other sources, however, that list it as a 1973 album. Among others, this Discogs page lists a November 1973 release for the LP:
https://www.discogs.com/Eno-Here-Come-The-Warm-Jets/release/35610

Can anybody shed any light on this inconsistency, or have better information?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2018 at 3:11 PM, RobertS19 said:

I've come here hoping someone can help me clear up what seems to be a common confusion. I am trying to find out exactly when Brian Eno's Here Come the Warm Jets was first released - specifically, was it in late 1973 or early 1974?

Wikipedia lists a January 1974 release, and cites "Strong, M. C. (1998). The Great Rock Discography". AllMusic also lists January 1974.

I have seen a number of other sources, however, that list it as a 1973 album. Among others, this Discogs page lists a November 1973 release for the LP:
https://www.discogs.com/Eno-Here-Come-The-Warm-Jets/release/35610

Can anybody shed any light on this inconsistency, or have better information?

Do the release dates pertain to the same country? Maybe one date was for the US and the other date for Europe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×