PO Now: Brand New - I Am A Nightmare 12" single & Mene 7" & 3 Demos, Reworked 10"

1 hour ago, rcafilm said:

I will say, I'm disappointed the b-side is an etching instead of Mene. I would be stoked to have both together.

with 2 songs on the record they wouldn't have been able to keep the product cost low like it is now.

Edited by xfactor675

11 minutes ago, 3arl said:

it's just as inspired as your "lol wut" comment

we get it, you don't like the song and you're a badass rebel for disliking something brand new put out

Yeah, I definitely don't feel that way, but sounds like you've got a chip on your shoulder. I'm actually a big Brand New fan and was surprised I didn't like the new track.

Blows my mind that someone might feel differently about the track than you lol

8 minutes ago, rooks said:

Yeah, I definitely don't feel that way, but sounds like you've got a chip on your shoulder. I'm actually a big Brand New fan and was surprised I didn't like the new track.

Blows my mind that someone might feel differently about the track than you lol

ehhh whatever. dont really feel like getting into an argument

i guess i prefer this to paper bag jokes and debate on the definition of "hiatus" though

I'm still hopeful for an eventual album. I jist hope they don't regress too much like the Senses Fail/Finch mashup that wants to "make it sound like 2002". I like consistency or progression. Meh.

I'm not one of those "I like depressed Jesse"  especially because i dont think the new song is overly cheery. I've just always really enjoyed the darkly religious lyrics Jesse jas crafted through the years, being a kid that was raised catholic but never really believed in it, and all the guilt and weirdness that came from that. New song just feels weak lyrically, which i'm having a hard time getting past. I even liked Vin's lyrics. I even like YFW lyrics haha, at least they were smart and witty for the most part.

:(

7 minutes ago, rooks said:

New song just feels weak lyrically

Very much so.

For being a single I think it does a damn good job at being a single: it's not overly complex, it's digestible, and it's catchy as hell.  I had that chorus ringing around in my head for a good bit after I closed the tab – it serves its purpose nicely.  Is it better than Mene?  I think so.  Would I want a full album of similar tracks?  Nope.  Would I pay $17 to own it on a 12"?  Lolno.

There are equally infectious moments on tracks spanning every album in their discography; the lyrics are just as goofy and the chorus is just as strong as At the Bottom, in my opinion, and it has a steady energy throughout that's akin to Not The Sun.  But those lyrics... wew.  To me, they're remarkably shallow and basic – meant for being plastered on top of overly-filtered photos primed for Tumblr, or designated for some seriously bad tattoos in the coming years.  To each his own, obviously, but I can't help to wonder if this is what Jesse took 7 years to pencil in.

Hoping for some denser material, both sonically and lyrically.  The story doesn't have to be as gloomy or macabre as the one that inspired Limousine, but I much prefer that songwriting approach when compared to this (and the bulk of Daisy, for that matter).  The biblical references were low-hanging and abundant on Daisy, and it'd be great to see Jesse push his comfort zone a little, with the new album.  I know that this single isn't a very confident indicator of that, but I'm trying to give a bit of benefit-of-the-doubt here and assume that it's one of the more straightforward songs on the album.  I'd love to hear some new tracks that sprawl and shift like many on TDAG – not that there's anything wrong with the ol' verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus formula.  It'd just be a shame if that's all we got from a band whose last album was released when Michael Jackson was still around.

50 minutes ago, rooks said:

I'm still hopeful for an eventual album. I jist hope they don't regress too much like the Senses Fail/Finch mashup that wants to "make it sound like 2002". I like consistency or progression. Meh.

I'm not one of those "I like depressed Jesse"  especially because i dont think the new song is overly cheery. I've just always really enjoyed the darkly religious lyrics Jesse jas crafted through the years, being a kid that was raised catholic but never really believed in it, and all the guilt and weirdness that came from that. New song just feels weak lyrically, which i'm having a hard time getting past. I even liked Vin's lyrics. I even like YFW lyrics haha, at least they were smart and witty for the most part.

:(

I totally understand people not digging this track,  but it has TONS of underlying religious tones. 

I really like this song. I agree with Derek that I don't want a full length album of this song,  but it's a solid tune with clever lyrics of you actually read/listen to them and not just the chorus. 

It's a really blend of their previous works and if you aren't a fan of their entire discography, then I would understand your frustration with the song.  

But for me I grew up with YFW and Deja, my first love and I would listen to it religiously and they hold a super important part in me life. The devil and god is by far brand new' best work though and is a flawless album. 

So for me,  this song is a perfect way of taking those dark lyrics and bringing them into an upbeat catchy song.  

It doesn't feel happy,  it doesn't feel sad.  

Edited by DafTyler

Just now, rooks said:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh SHIT! Your opinion is now invalid, Derek! SUCK IT. Do your fuckin' research next time biiiiiiitch.

Boom.

I didn't disagree with any other part of his post, did I?

Are half-way-through-the-new-year's resolutions a thing? Because if they are, maybe I need to start trying as hard as rooks does.