PO: Against Me! - Shape Shift With Me

2 hours ago, dnl said:

At this point this is what I'm expecting. AM! is essentially all her.

If I had to guess its because the last time she tried to go solo (as Tom), it didn't get a lot of attention.

Her memoir is being released in November, if I remember correct.  I'll bet she releases some new solo material around that same time.

1 minute ago, Satan said:

A while I remember her stating that TGDB would be their last album. I wish it was because this album sucks, and her voice sounds like garbage now.

I agree for the most part. I like TDB quite a bit, but this is really not doing anything for me. It's mediocre.

1 minute ago, Satan said:

A while I remember her stating that TGDB would be their last album. I wish it was because this album sucks, and her voice sounds like garbage now.

I agree for the most part. I like TDB quite a bit, but this is really not doing anything for me. It's mediocre.

20 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

I didn't even say it was good. Mediocre at best.

Yeah, Laura great for making a concept record and all, but at this point - I feel AM! is just a cash grab now because of the whole trans thing. Not the AM! I grew up with.

28 minutes ago, Satan said:

Yeah, Laura great for making a concept record and all, but at this point - I feel AM! is just a cash grab now because of the whole trans thing. Not the AM! I grew up with.

100% agreed. Kinda felt this way since TDB came out.

11 hours ago, Satan said:

I don't think Against Me in 2016 can really be considered a cash grab. I would estimate they lost a lot of fans and a ton of cash because of Laura being trans, and probably continue to do so as narrow-minded folks realize it.

19 hours ago, Shitty Rambo said:

It makes you wonder why she hasn't just changed the band's name to Laura Jane Grace And The ___________s or something along those lines. That would actually be pretty cool.

...Devouring Mothers was what she toured under back in February. It was a different feel, but really fun. She read from her journal/ memoir. 

I agree that AM! now is unlike older AM! but I still dig their stuff a lot. I'll be seeing them tonight and will certainly hear songs from RAR to the new one. They're always a pleasure live.

The show was great last night. They barreled through song after song. They're full of energy. They played about half of the new album, a bunch from WC and TDB, and a few notables from way back. "Walking is Still Honest" being a favorite of those. 

The tour variant is a blackish, grey marble color. Maybe it was supposed to be black w/ white splatter? I'll post a pic later.

Edit: after a better look, it's actually a dark blue with random color marbling.

Edited by Fowty Dollaz

Just got my blue euro press in from Banquet. Hopefully I'll have time to play through it in the next day or so.  I liked the videos that were released well enough so if it's mostly like that then it should be fine.  I certainly love the old AM sound (Pints of Guinness and Baby, I'm an Anarchist were songs my old band would cover somewhat frequently) but I've been able to follow along pretty well as the band evolved.  I found that on the first few listens I couldn't really get into either WC or TGDB but after a while they really grew on me and are in pretty frequent rotation.  I guess I'm kinda expecting the same out of this but with probably less of a break in period. 

2 hours ago, njpunkmusic said:

Cant believe the reaction this album is getting.  I would say its an awesome record minus the last two tracks.  

Honestly, I like it all. Not as much as TDB, but close. The songs are pretty great to me. They're super fun live. I mean, I heard half the album on Sunday night. The record may not represent all of the energy that a show does, but that energy is there.