PO: Against Me! - Shape Shift With Me

Agreed and a little heartbroken, the 3 singles are the only tracks I really dug. Just feels like they're walking right up to the line and falling short on the punch (which is something I thought I'd never say with the current line up) I've only listened to it twice but definitely like WC more, curious why people shit on that record? 

1 hour ago, jentenenbaum said:

definitely like WC more, curious why people shit on that record? 

My guess (and based on most of the comments I read)? It's not punk enough. The songwriting and production are both incredible, but that doesn't really fit within the genre for many people it seems, at least one of those (preferably production) has to be done by someone less competent. That's why everyone liked Black Crosses so much more. Same songs, but shittier recordings. Sometimes it's hard to like something that makes you feel you like things you didn't think you liked.

I'm really trying to make it to one of the nearby shows since Frameworks is opening. Their record, Smother, is my AOTY as of now. Can't decide if I'll buy a copy of SSWM locally or wait till the show. 

On 9/9/2016 at 7:48 PM, Fowty Dollaz said:

Honestly, WC is one of my top 3 or so. It just really resonated with me when it came out. Still does. I listen to it quite frequently. It's definitely a shift from their older releases, but I guess I never minded it. I don't hate SFAFC, but that one never did much for me.

Former Clarity is my favvvvv though

On 9/9/2016 at 4:39 AM, slinch said:

I'll be honest, I find this kinda boring. :ph34r:

Gotta agree. Not terrible by any means but not what people were hyping it as. I feel like Against Me! stopping being Against Me! a loooong time ago. Seems like people are bigger fans of Laura Jane Grace than Against Me! anyways (and rightfully so, she pulls all the strings, but it seems like she's bigger than the band itself now).

It makes you wonder why she hasn't just changed the band's name to Laura Jane Grace And The ___________s or something along those lines. That would actually be pretty cool.

After a certain level of success, bands become a company and ending a band is like shutting down a company that many people depend on for their livelihood.  There could be tour crew and merch/distribution crew who depend on there being an Against Me and changing the name or quitting would put them out of a job or a paycheck.

16 minutes ago, rds said:

After a certain level of success, bands become a company and ending a band is like shutting down a company that many people depend on for their livelihood.  There could be tour crew and merch/distribution crew who depend on there being an Against Me and changing the name or quitting would put them out of a job or a paycheck.

Changing their band name doesn't mean they have to fire their roadies, bud. Besides, don't they own the label they're on? Seems like they'd be calling all the shots either way.

5 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

Changing their band name doesn't mean they have to fire their roadies, bud. Besides, don't they own the label they're on? Seems like they'd be calling all the shots either way.

I think their manager owns Total Treble iirc. But yeah, I don't see why they'd have to fire their entire staff and tour crew just because Laura decides she wants to bury the AM! name. 

They wouldn't fire their entire staff but I'm pretty sure a new against me album and against me tour creates more revenue and jobs than a new solo album and a solo tour.   It could also affect which venues they can book, how the media covers them, etc.  It's not as simple as changing the name and everything else staying exactly the same.