PO NOW : Oathbreaker - Rheia

From the Gotta Groove Records Website (pressing plant in USA)

SCALE OF COLOR VINYL SOUND QUALITY CHARACTERISTICS:*

(Surface noise 1= quietest / 8 = noisiest)

1. GGR Black vinyl

4. Transparent Colors (Blue, Green, Clear, Gold [orange], Transparent Red, Coke Clear, Fluorescent Colors)

6. Non-Mixed Opaque Colors (Pink, Red, Yellow, Violet, Brown)

7. White

7. Opaque Mix (Mixing opaque and translucent color(s) in particular; and also tend to have visible “staining” after a few hundred records, which can be seen in certain light).

7-8. Random Color / Recycled Color Shades

8. Hand-made variants

8-10. Glow In The Dark / Glitter Records

* Every record runs differently, and generally speaking, the louder the recording the less noticeable any “plastic noise” will be.  Turntables also can track color vinyl differently than black — some people report skips on color copies which do not happen on the same record if pressed on black vinyl (typically on lower-end turntables -especially those which have plastic tone arms and/or lack tracking adjustment mechanisms. Such turntables can actually be problematic on both black and color vinyl records). Some people say the music itself can sound slightly different on color versions vs black versions of the same record (since the grooves are the same, this likely has more to do with the turntable/cartridge being used, rather than the plastic).

No doubt, you will find many competing theories on the subject of color vinyl sound quality.  The information on this page is based solely upon our experience running the various colors which are readily available in the USA today.  From our experience, the main reason colors can run differently (and sound different) is due to the melt characteristics of the vinyl itself — it has nothing to do with the actual color pigments, but instead, the PVC formulations.  (i.e., the color pigments themselves do not have sound characteristics — it is true that black vinyl has the black added into the PVC to give it the black look; however, the composition of the black PVC formula that we use runs much differently than the PVC formula which appears white).  Different PVC formulations can have dramatically different melting results at various extruder, nozzle, and mold temperature settings – each leading to different molding results when the records are being pressed.  Also, we find that the size of the biscuit can have a dramatically different result with different PVC formulations (which is why, for sound quality consistency, we do not offer 180 gram records in any color other than audiophile black vinyl).

In any case, there are tons color records in the U.S. marketplace, and many people do not seem to notice/mind the differences.  But, we try to be as transparent as possible sharing information to help you make the best decision for your project.  If your utmost concern is a very quiet pressing, then you are probably better off pressing black vinyl.

(since you probably didn't read this) So it is a double edged sword.  You want some really cool looking color but you also want it to sound perfect on your turntable.  You play your chances when you buy that cool splatter/swirl/half-and-half/tri-color/etc. color, but basic black if you press it no one wants cause it's "boring".

I get it, I love the collectability of it and the rarest version blah blah blah.  But if you want to actually listen to your music, look above, go for the one color version, transparent before opaque, and that'll be the best sound.

9 minutes ago, blessedxcursed said:

From the Gotta Groove Records Website (pressing plant in USA)

SCALE OF COLOR VINYL SOUND QUALITY CHARACTERISTICS:*

(Surface noise 1= quietest / 8 = noisiest)

1. GGR Black vinyl

4. Transparent Colors (Blue, Green, Clear, Gold [orange], Transparent Red, Coke Clear, Fluorescent Colors)

6. Non-Mixed Opaque Colors (Pink, Red, Yellow, Violet, Brown)

7. White

7. Opaque Mix (Mixing opaque and translucent color(s) in particular; and also tend to have visible “staining” after a few hundred records, which can be seen in certain light).

7-8. Random Color / Recycled Color Shades

8. Hand-made variants

8-10. Glow In The Dark / Glitter Records

* Every record runs differently, and generally speaking, the louder the recording the less noticeable any “plastic noise” will be.  Turntables also can track color vinyl differently than black — some people report skips on color copies which do not happen on the same record if pressed on black vinyl (typically on lower-end turntables -especially those which have plastic tone arms and/or lack tracking adjustment mechanisms. Such turntables can actually be problematic on both black and color vinyl records). Some people say the music itself can sound slightly different on color versions vs black versions of the same record (since the grooves are the same, this likely has more to do with the turntable/cartridge being used, rather than the plastic).

No doubt, you will find many competing theories on the subject of color vinyl sound quality.  The information on this page is based solely upon our experience running the various colors which are readily available in the USA today.  From our experience, the main reason colors can run differently (and sound different) is due to the melt characteristics of the vinyl itself — it has nothing to do with the actual color pigments, but instead, the PVC formulations.  (i.e., the color pigments themselves do not have sound characteristics — it is true that black vinyl has the black added into the PVC to give it the black look; however, the composition of the black PVC formula that we use runs much differently than the PVC formula which appears white).  Different PVC formulations can have dramatically different melting results at various extruder, nozzle, and mold temperature settings – each leading to different molding results when the records are being pressed.  Also, we find that the size of the biscuit can have a dramatically different result with different PVC formulations (which is why, for sound quality consistency, we do not offer 180 gram records in any color other than audiophile black vinyl).

In any case, there are tons color records in the U.S. marketplace, and many people do not seem to notice/mind the differences.  But, we try to be as transparent as possible sharing information to help you make the best decision for your project.  If your utmost concern is a very quiet pressing, then you are probably better off pressing black vinyl.

(since you probably didn't read this) So it is a double edged sword.  You want some really cool looking color but you also want it to sound perfect on your turntable.  You play your chances when you buy that cool splatter/swirl/half-and-half/tri-color/etc. color, but basic black if you press it no one wants cause it's "boring".

I get it, I love the collectability of it and the rarest version blah blah blah.  But if you want to actually listen to your music, look above, go for the one color version, transparent before opaque, and that'll be the best sound.

very cool info :)

Can't seem to track down an indie exclusive (or any vinyl copy) in LA even though all the variants seemed to have arrived on time...

definitely getting more bummed for missing out on the PO's 

edit: apparently there's a select list of stores that will receive this and none are in LA, go figure lol

Edited by antisyntax

13 minutes ago, jaedong said:

if anybody seeing them live can grab me a tour press, i'd really appreciate it. let me know and i'll shoot over some cash on ppal.i was going to catch them in Austin but am going to Radiohead instead.

I'm seeing them in a few weeks and can help out if they're still available and no one else can help out beforehand.

55 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I'm seeing them in a few weeks and can help out if they're still available and no one else can help out beforehand.

sweet thanks dude! just let me know when the date gets close and i'll shoot you some cash over ahead of time. really bummed to miss them, hopefully they do a headlining tour sometime soon though.

Nabbed the tour color when I saw them this past weekend in Tampa. They were amazing live...as well as the other bands on the bill. With all that I've has going on lately in my personal life, I couldn't help but get emotional and broken down I cried during "No Rest For The Weary"...older song but it hit me hard.

DSCN5943.jpg

DSCN5944.jpg

DSCN5945.jpg

I was only able to secure an extra copy for my buddy Chuck who couldn't hit the show as his son was sick.