PO: Merchandise - A Corpse Wired For Sound LP from 4AD

5787c7ee561a2.jpg

Formed nearly a decade ago, galvanized by Tampa hardcore and inspired by its miscreant noise, A Corpse Wired For Sound signals a new chapter for Merchandise.

Following 2014’s After The End — a full-band effort recorded in a closet — the band stripped back to its core of Carson Cox (vocals, electronics), Dave Vassalotti (guitar, electronics) and Pat Brady (bass).  The trio travelled to Rosà, Italy for their first ever sessions in a recording studio, with local producer, ICIO.  The nine-song nocturnal A Corpse Wired For Sound was recorded half in the studio and half at home, in Tampa as well as Cox’s newly adopted bases of New York and Berlin – the culmination of a long-distance collaboration between Cox and Vassalotti.

The album’s metallic title is inspired by a science fiction short story by JG Ballard, but equally sums up the band’s current state of mind.  “We were ‘reborn’ as a rock band for After The End," says Vassalotti, “and then we straight-up died again.  It couldn’t last.  The result is this distended corpse responding to you from both sides of the Atlantic, forever singing in spite of everything.”  Cox expands further, “it’s about the truth of growing up.  You can’t take your friends or lovers with you.  It’s about finding peace with that loneliness.”

Limited blue vinyl. 100 pre-orders will receive one of 100 unique collage art pieces by Carson Cox.

http://4ad.com/releases/815

4 minutes ago, LeeKaye said:

Also bought. Hope I am one of the first 100. It's massively annoying when they don't update the info so you don't know if you have missed the cut-off. I suppose that is the point...

what makes this even weirder is based on the wording, it doesn't seem like being in the first 100 matters, and that it will be a random 100 people who preorder.

The 4AD email I received reads:

" Pre-orders via 4AD will have the opportunity to win one of 100 unique collage pieces by Carson "

... which means the band, the label and the sales reps look down the list of pre-orders and award the prints to people they know personally or recognize.

Edited by jackshidt

1 minute ago, jeromium said:

Oh right I've been listening since Children of Desire but always considered that one and Totale Nite EPs for some reason. I haven't heard the prior stuff actually. 

oh man, you should check out (Strange Songs) In The Dark LP, the S/T CS and Terminal Jagger Jane's Addicition Boxset CS. all of it is significantly different than their new stuff, but is in my opinion better.

• 1 month later...