PO: KoЯn - THE SERENITY OF SUFFERING

Just adding my two cents as someone who experienced the in between of those two trends. Follow the Leader came out when I was in 7th grade and then while I was in high school Vagrant/Drive-Thru/Victory/EVR were at their height.

Edit: I can still legit enjoy Got the Life/Freak on a Leash for nostalgia, but I'd rather listen to even the most generic "also ran" emo band from 2003 than a new Korn album.

Edited by Bladewillisisdead

1 hour ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Just adding my two cents as someone who experienced the in between of those two trends. Follow the Leader came out when I was in 7th grade and then while I was in high school Vagrant/Drive-Thru/Victory/EVR were at their height.

Edit: I can still legit enjoy Got the Life/Freak on a Leash for nostalgia, but I'd rather listen to even the most generic "also ran" emo band from 2003 than a new Korn album.

That's totally fair, I personally would prefer the new Korn over the new TBS or Brand New for example, but the beauty of music is that it's subjective.

lol hating Korn is a meme at this point, do people still complain about their sister playing Backstreet Boys? 

This band has never put out a record I haven't had fun listening to. I'll buy their new radio rock records and just tune out the lyrics, and the album art atrocity. New song is a good direction, I was worried they were gonna settle on the electronic BS for awhile longer. It's no Korn 3 but hey. Nick Raskulinecz too instead of Don fucking Gilmore, yay

I saw Korn open for Pennywise back when I was 17 in '93. They were the heaviest thing I had heard live at that point. I bought their demo tape as they were getting booed off stage. I think The Offspring played 2nd & Cadillac Tramps played 3rd that night. 

A few months later I saw them in a shitty warehouse in some industrial complex open for Sick Of It All. Despite them getting heckled while getting ready to play, every hardcore kid there started murdering each other once they started playing. 

While they may be a joke or a meme or whatever now, back then, they were pretty heavy & IMO were one of the first bands to bring breakdowns into mainstream music.

hah, i dont think people hate korn just because "its cool" to hate them. The problem with korn now is they are a self parody. when i was 12-13, it was the heaviest thing id ever heard on the radio or seen live (and those records are still heavy even by todays standards) and i can see how if you arent old enough to have been around during that era of the band that it could be a hard concept to grasp. finding and consuming music back then was very different than it is now. so, ill even credit them and deftones as the gateway bands into heavier music for me. the difference is deftones are still killing it whereas there is no creative reserves left in this band to tap. in their older / sober years, they seem like decent and approachable people which i think is cool but i just cringe so hard at everything they've done for over a decade.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Heard a new track on XM Radio a couple days ago and holy dogshit is it bad. Like, leave the "boom da uhm ba da neema" back in '98, boys.

Im guessing thats the first song that was released which was really bad. They released a second song and i surprisingly didnt hate it musically. Kind of sounded like something they would have wrote for issues or untouchables. Still terrible vocals and lyrics though.

8 minutes ago, mattisr1984 said:

Im guessing thats the first song that was released which was really bad. They released a second song and i surprisingly didnt hate it musically. Kind of sounded like something they would have wrote for issues or untouchables. Still terrible vocals and lyrics though.

It may have been the first single. Either way it was horrid. I just can't get past his vocals. Even their old stuff makes

me laugh because of the weird noises he insists on making in most songs. Maybe I'm too young, but this band was never "heavy" to me, even in the 90s. I just don't see the appeal.