Best Record Player For $150

Hello! So after using a pretty crap record player for over a year now, I want to upgrade. I don't exactly have a fortune. I'm looking to spend around $150 on a good turntable.

So that leads to my question, what the best record player for $150 or less? If it's a little over $150 I won't complain, but I'd like to keep it as close to that number as I can. Any advice is good advice! Thanks!

6 hours ago, MichaelWK109 said:

At some point, that post mentioned these 3 being allright

Audio Technica AT LP120 ($200)

Music Hall USB-1 ($250)

Numark TTUSB ($100)

I've considered the audio technica AT LP120 but are the other ones any better? The Numark is notably cheaper, is it any better or worse?

As a general rule anything with USB in the title is bad and pretty much anything Numark is bad so chances are that one is going to disappoint.

Usually I would say Music Hall products are pretty good but this is the usual cheap Chinese SL1200 clone so take the 0 off the end of the price for its real value and reassuringly it doesn't break the USB is bad rule.

If you want a cheap table that looks like an SL1200 there are loads of options from people like Stanton, Vestax and Gemini etc. that you can pick up used for not a lot of money and you can easily add a phono stage with USB in it from people like NAD or project that will sound a lot better than any of those contained in the 3 above

The AT is a perfectly good table but the on board phono stage and USB are woeful so no I wouldn't pay $200 for one and I wouldn't buy one of these tables new, if you really want one let someone else waste their money on it and buy it used.

And if used scares you buy the Uturn, at least it's a proper turntable.

10 hours ago, MichaelWK109 said:

I'm seeing tons of good things about u turns, are there any negatives to those? Any notable things they can't do?

What are you seeing?  There isn't a whole lot negative to say about the U-Turn for the price.  It can play records at 33.3 and 45RPM, what other features are you looking for?

Of course, the price point comes down to what the rest of your set ups is like.  The U-turn doesn't have a built in preamp, so if your previous table did, you will need that as well.  

On 7/27/2016 at 5:00 PM, El Pee said:

This.

For $150, go used. If you have the time, keep looking at craigslist, yard sales, thrift stores, pawn shops etc... You should be able to get a nice high-end Pioneer, Yamaha, Technics, etc for that kind of money.

I totally agree w/El Pee.  I've purchased a few high end older turntables from craigslist...all for around $100.

• 2 months later...
On 7/27/2016 at 4:00 PM, El Pee said:

This.

For $150, go used. If you have the time, keep looking at craigslist, yard sales, thrift stores, pawn shops etc... You should be able to get a nice high-end Pioneer, Yamaha, Technics, etc for that kind of money.

This. You can find awesome tables in really good condition from the analog era when turntable build quality was actually upheld and there was no such thing as USB. You can even find some really great fully automatic belt driven and possibly direct drive models from Technics for about your price range. Take the time to do some research on which vintage models meet your criteria and I think you'll be very happy once you find one that suits you. I scored a really excellent condition MCS 6700 just today for a little more than $150 shipped. I wish I had had the balls to go this route with my first or second turntable because I've been really happy with the Technics SL 5300 I scored a couple months ago and I think I would have really enjoyed having one for the past few years since I got my second turntable (an Audio Technica ATLP120).

• 3 weeks later...