PO Now: Alcest - Kodama

Alcest-KodamaBundle.jpg

Kodama" the fifth album from Blackgaze pioneers, Alcest, marks the French duo's ferocious return to the stylistic maximalism of its early albums while continuing the band's relentless pursuit for new sounds and fresh ideas.
"Kodama" is the Japanese word for 'tree spirit' and 'echo' and from the album's structure and dynamics to its cinematic sound, "Kodama" indeed 'echoes' Alcest's 2010 classic, "Écailles De Lune". But this is no simple back-to-the-roots album: the band has more punch, rhythm and organic feel than ever before. While clearly influenced by bands like The Smashing Pumpkins, Tool, Dinosaur Jr, Grimes and The Cure, "Kodama" ultimately reveals itself as Alcest's 'Japanese album', drawing substantial inspiration from Japanese art and culture.

Tracklist:
1. Kodama
2. Eclosion
3. Je Suis D'ailleurs
4. Untouched
5. Oiseaux De Proie
6. Onyx

Release date: 30.09.2016

Available editions:
- CD digipak with die-cut sleeve
- LP (33rpm) on heavy-weight 180g black virgin vinyl
- 2CD hardcover book (36 pages with lyrics, elaborate liner notes by Neige, Winterhalter and Fortifem, translations of the lyrics, ca. 18x18cm) incl. bonus CD with bonus track "Notre Sang Et Nos Penseées"
- Deluxe 3LP box (45rpm) with vinyl etching, 6 art prints and lyric sheet; ltd. to 777 copies, split to: 200x black vinyl, 200x clear vinyl, 200x clear/black marble vinyl, 177x magenta/black marble vinyl (exclusive to the Prophecy online shop!)
- "Complete Kodama Box": 4LPs (45rpm) incl. vinyl etching and bonus track "Notre Sang Et Nos Penseées", 2CD hardcover book (36 pages with lyrics, elaborate liner notes by Neige, Winterhalter and Fortifem, translations of the lyrics, ca. 18x18cm) incl. bonus CD with bonus track "Notre Sang Et Nos Penseées", 6 art prints and certificate; ltd. to 777 copies, split to: 200x black vinyl, 200x clear vinyl, 200x clear/black marble vinyl, 177x magenta/black marble vinyl (exclusive to the Prophecy online shop!)

I enjoyed Shelter quite a bit once I get used to the shift away from their heavier sound.  I think I'm going to wait until I can hear this before I commit to it, but it does have my interest.  $15 isn't bad for a single LP (not sure what shipping'll be).  Box sets are a little too much for me, although they do sound nice.

1 hour ago, Metal Mike said:

I also really came to enjoy Shelter, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited by a return to their older sound.

***edit***

Am I incompetent or is there no LP only version up? 

***edit***

I'm clearly incompetent.

Click on the cd version and then the "variant" dropdown. Confusing.

I don't understand why they do this Bonus-CD-with-only-1-song thing...  The "Shelter" bonus track "Into The Waves" is one of my favorite songs, but they didn't include it in the regular album.  I just don't get why they do this, it seems kind of dumb to me.  Why not just put the extra song on the regular CD, even if you only release it in Japan, for instance?

Edited by Gumbo72203

On 7/28/2016 at 9:01 AM, monsterrod said:

I went black/magenta deluxe box set because Alcest... and because I make poor financial decisions. 

On 7/28/2016 at 10:59 AM, Metal Mike said:

Exactly this.

Caved :(

Hope Neige knocked it out of the park on at least one track

I gave it a *very* cursory listen and my initial impression is that I dig it. It does seem somewhat more of a return to form.

If there're some more "blackened" vocals in there somewhere, I'll be pleased as punch.

On an unrelated note, look at this fucking cat.

It's eating pasghetti!!

WSafNqx.gif

• 4 weeks later...