PO: Dance Gavin Dance - Mothership (out 10/7)

My MerchNow pre-order finally arrived today just before I left for the parental units' house, and it came with a CD copy(!) so I listened to it twice from start to finish while driving. Shit slays like nobody's business.

Also, the coke bottle/mint splatter variant looks gorgeous, and I love love love the shirt that I got with it all.

I'm a happy DGD fan.

• 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, ethereal said:

I kinda wish they truly broke up after that.  everything after has been so god damn terrible.

I’m in the “they can do no wrong” mindset, so I can’t say I agree with this.  I DO wish Jonny Craig wasn’t such an asshole though and was able to stay with them, because everything they’ve done with him has definitely been my favorite.  Honestly, my least favorite album from them is “Happiness,” and I’m always surprised to find I’m in the minority there.

2 hours ago, Buffbloom said:

Tilian -> Kurt -> Jonny

Oh man, are we starting a lead singer flame war? I sure hope so.

Kurt --> Tillian  --> Jonny

I think Kurt was hands down the best album vocalist, despite being a bit weak live. 
Tillian just finally got the album vox down. They sounded awful on acceptance speech, but he also is certainly their best live vocalist and can cover all the material.

Jonny..... those albums are very special, but the dude could hardly stand up to perform half the time. I still prefer his album vocals to Tillian's a bit though.

And thanks for the link. Happy to snag a Gold w/ free shipping.

Edited by V3XED

3 hours ago, V3XED said:

Oh man, are we starting a lead singer flame war? I sure hope so.

Kurt --> Tillian  --> Jonny

I think Kurt was hands down the best album vocalist, despite being a bit weak live. 
Tillian just finally got the album vox down. They sounded awful on acceptance speech, but he also is certainly their best live vocalist and can cover all the material.

Jonny..... those albums are very special, but the dude could hardly stand up to perform half the time. I still prefer his album vocals to Tillian's a bit though.

And thanks for the link. Happy to snag a Gold w/ free shipping.

Kurt hands down best vocalist imo, despite probably being the weakest in the actual "raw talent" department. His stuff with both DGD and ALLB as well as his solo stuff have all been so good and super consistent.

52 minutes ago, V3XED said:

VIP was x/550.  This reads as x/500.  Still inclined to agree, but that is a bit odd.

Certainly is possible this is some sort of repress, but I doubt it.  Figure runouts will tell the full story. 

My guess is they pressed ~1000. Sold about half as vip and held the other half until now so vip people felt it was more exclusive.

Cool for the variant collectors, but I'm good with my signed poster from the first preorder.

Since we're having this convo, I'll just chime in a bit too, haha. Kurt --> Tilian --> Jonny. Because fuck Jonny, and DBMI was just okay. (DBMII was great, but Jon's vocals have come a LONG way since.) Kurt's vocal style meshed with the DGD sound so well, even if he was shaky outside the studio, and Happiness is still my absolute favorite album from their discography. More experimentation, more unique sounds and song structure, etc.. Tilian is extremely talented but they have admittedly become a bit more "post-popcore" since he joined. Not that I mind, he's just no Kurt.

But fuck Jonny. That should go without saying.

11 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

I’m in the “they can do no wrong” mindset, so I can’t say I agree with this.  I DO wish Jonny Craig wasn’t such an asshole though and was able to stay with them, because everything they’ve done with him has definitely been my favorite.  Honestly, my least favorite album from them is “Happiness,” and I’m always surprised to find I’m in the minority there.

They're probably the only band that I've enjoyed just as much if not more with every new vocalist. I loved Happiness when it came out and I thought there's no way they could pull off a third vocalist. Not huge on Instant Gratification but Acceptance Speech was solid and I'm pretty confident saying Mothership is my favorite DGD album (DBM being a close second). Saw them in Eindhoven with all 3 vocalists and it was a great show and experience. 

Glad I didn't pull the trigger on variant collecting this band. One was enough.  Snagged that gold though. 

As for their albums, they've all sound significantly different each time and I love that. My favorite album from them could change daily. Except for Acceptance Speech. I blame that mosty on the production of the album, though.