The STRANGER THINGS (Netflix) Thread

1 minute ago, hype said:

these things are going to be dirt cheap eventually if you can wait with so many "limited" variants being sold. the only one I am even thinking about purchasing upfront is possibly the box set at this point. hopefully they decide on good colors for it.

I think the /1500 indie variants and especially the black will be cheap in a few months. I think it'd be a while before we see the /500 ones drop much, maybe settle around $50 after a while (sell for around $100 now).

None of this matters what so ever but I honestly don't think any of these variants will hold a ton of value on the secondary markets once the dust settles. People are bonkers if they are shelling out more than retail on any of these. In my opinion, none of the color choices of the /500 options truly stand out.  With so many options and with more on the way, I see these just getting lumped into a retail exclusives category with 3000+ (and counting) copies.  Still limited but not big money limited.  Similar to New Bermuda and the newest Explosions in the Sky release. If one of the exclusives differentiates itself from the pack, this would change.  If you're buying these to flip, sell now. Just my honest opinion. 

2 minutes ago, kisol said:

None of this matters what so ever but I honestly don't think any of these variants will hold a ton of value on the secondary markets once the dust settles. People are bonkers if they are shelling out more than retail on any of these. In my opinion, none of the color choices of the /500 options truly stand out.  With so many options and with more on the way, I see these just getting lumped into a retail exclusives category with 3000+ (and counting) copies.  Still limited but not big money limited.  Similar to New Bermuda and the newest Explosions in the Sky release. If one of the exclusives differentiates itself from the pack, this would change.  If you're buying these to flip, sell now. Just my honest opinion. 

Still baffled that people are flipping some of these things already (specifically the clear) with how unreliable some of the retailers' expected inventory numbers are.

2 minutes ago, kisol said:

Still baffled that people are flipping some of these things already (specifically the clear) with how unreliable some of the retailers' expected inventory numbers are.

If you are buying this to flip, your portfolio just took a dive. It is tempting to get one of the B&N versions, but it's really just a combo of the two I already bought. How many different versions have people bought so far? I'm dumb at 2 and still waiting to see what happens with the box set.

11 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

If you are buying this to flip, your portfolio just took a dive. It is tempting to get one of the B&N versions, but it's really just a combo of the two I already bought. How many different versions have people bought so far? I'm dumb at 2 and still waiting to see what happens with the box set.

I went with the retail black just to get a copy. I'll try for the box set if possible. If I get the box set, I'll just sell off the black.

3 hours ago, kisol said:

Strong agree.

3 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

I've had the black volumes 1 and 2 on preorder through Amazon since the listings went up weeks ago.

2 hours ago, dnl said:

I went with the retail black just to get a copy. I'll try for the box set if possible. If I get the box set, I'll just sell off the black.

Ditto. I'm interested in the box set for liners and am still curious about the hand-poured version(?), but will probably end up with just the plain black in the end. I'll probably chicken out on the hand-poured do to sonics concerns and the box set if the liners don't look rich enough to justify the pricepoint.

13 minutes ago, AdamJNovak said:

Am I the only one hat thinks the B&N one looks the best?

All the options to this point are far from inspired but I still think the smoke variant is the best one. It's the only one I look at and can associate with the vibe I get from the show and it's score. 

4 hours ago, kisol said:

All the options to this point are far from inspired but I still think the smoke variant is the best one. It's the only one I look at and can associate with the vibe I get from the show and it's score. 

To me, black smoke usually looks mostly black unless you're holding it up to the light.  Sitting flat on a turntable?  Meh.

1 hour ago, freedumb said:

To me, black smoke usually looks mostly black unless you're holding it up to the light.  Sitting flat on a turntable?  Meh.

Interesting. The smoke variant of Helms Alee - Sleepwalking Sailors looks amazing on my black turntable.  Not even close to a standard black.  The ST mock ups look identical to it. 

Edited by kisol