Secretly Society: Secretly Group Record Club (jagjaguwar, secretly canadian, numero group, dead oceans record club)

2 minutes ago, tug said:

got ya.  i would think that would frustrate more people though.  vinyl variants with every store getting a diff color is a little out of control at the moment.  much like how bonus tracks were out of control on cds 10 years ago when every store had an extra song. but with the cds, the bonus tracks could just be downloaded so it was not a big deal to just buy the regular version then download the extra songs, it was acturally nice to get to download a few extra tracks.  but with diff color vinyl, the only option is to buy them all to complete collection.  i think there should only be 2 variants of every record released, your classic black and a unique color if buying it directly from the band.  but it seems colors are the trend right now and the way labels/bands are rolling...  although i think its a ploy to get people to buy multiple copies, the same way it was with the bonus track cds i mentioned.

I imagine it can be very frustrating for variant collectors. Luckily enough for me I'm content with one copy of the records I own. I have a few that I ended up with two, but they're different masters.

Vinyl is reminding me more and more of comic books in the 90s, when people were paying more attention to hologram and foil covers and less to the comics themselves. 

The comic book companies - both the big guys and indies, just like the record industry today - milked it for a while, but in the long run it hurt the industry so bad that they're still trying to recover to this day.

13 hours ago, unknown pleasures said:

Vinyl is reminding me more and more of comic books in the 90s, when people were paying more attention to hologram and foil covers and less to the comics themselves. 

The comic book companies - both the big guys and indies, just like the record industry today - milked it for a while, but in the long run it hurt the industry so bad that they're still trying to recover to this day.

Hopefully, all this "inflated hype" for records will finally go away, and take the $50 MSRP for new records with it.

8 minutes ago, shamrocks said:

They sold out of subscriptions, based on their email.  Not sure what they limited it to.  Pretty smart to lead off with two high-demand releases, although all joking aside, I fully expect this club to slay.

I didn't receive the e-mail... it still lets me purchase a sub via their site, and I don't see anywhere saying that Preoccupations is sold out. Hmm.

On 9/7/2016 at 3:39 AM, unknown pleasures said:

Yeah, no doubt. I had a comic book store from '92-2000. Rode the boom, then *poof*. Let's hope it doesn't get that crazy. All style and no substance.

If anyone happens to not want their subscription copy of the new Angel Olsen for some reason, I'll buy it from them. I'm one of the ones that signed up for the subscription only to find out the next day that they had sold out of this record, but I'd definitely still like to get it, if possible. 

Edited by achillesstand7

4 minutes ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

It hasn't been confirmed on their website but their newsletter confirmed it.  White vinyl.  

Ok thanks.  I've been keeping an eye on this club sine the catalog of artists in pretty good on those labels.  I suppose I'll wait and see what December is.  

4 minutes ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

It hasn't been confirmed on their website but their newsletter confirmed it.  White vinyl.  

Ok thanks.  I've been keeping an eye on this club sine the catalog of artists in pretty good on those labels.  I suppose I'll wait and see what December is.  

6 minutes ago, rds said:

So....lots of Yoko Onos scheduled to appear on Discogs in November, eh?

Either that or a ton going on clearance on the Secretly Store from all of the Skips.  When they were talking about records from the back catalog I thought they meant things like old Dinosaur Jr. records, Not Yoko Ono.  

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know where Secretly Canadian ships from? My first 2 records are shipping together and I saw that Preoccupations LPs are supposedly en route but I never received any tracking or confirmation email. 

I was thinking I could check my USPS for oncoming packages but it looks like there are a few different things coming to my apartment at the moment so I'm not sure which is which. 

I also emailed the label about skipping November's album, anyone who wishes to do so has the option of extending their membership or selecting any record from their back catalogue to receive. Pretty cool but I'm thinking I'll stick with december's LP in case it is more in line with my interests than Yoko Ono.

Edited by spoon

1 hour ago, spoon said:

Does anyone know where Secretly Canadian ships from? My first 2 records are shipping together and I saw that Preoccupations LPs are supposedly en route but I never received any tracking or confirmation email. 

I was thinking I could check my USPS for oncoming packages but it looks like there are a few different things coming to my apartment at the moment so I'm not sure which is which. 

I also emailed the label about skipping November's album, anyone who wishes to do so has the option of extending their membership or selecting any record from their back catalogue to receive. Pretty cool but I'm thinking I'll stick with december's LP in case it is more in line with my interests than Yoko Ono.

It's not officially announced yet but I was told that December's club album is Mitski - Puberty 2.