Where do you buy used records most often? Where do you sell your used records? 

I am having a difficult time selling records even at significantly lower than cost for OOP stuff. As recent as 8 months ago I was using Facebook groups and making a lot of sales. I know the sales board here is dead, all of the Facebook groups I'm in are dead, record stores will only give you pennies. I don't like the rigidity/structure of discogs but is this the only place people buy from? I've heard of people using Instagram, is that worth my time?

I've sold on Discogs, here, and eBay.

No one will buy your records here unless you are giving them away or selling a nu-emo HT exclusive for below cost.

Discogs is great but stock can sit there for a while even if it's priced below all competitors.

eBay has been the best as far as actually getting sales and those sales being at a higher price.

It doesn't seem like small sellers have been listing on discogs as much anymore. Whenever I check out my wantlist, it's all large sellers with massive inventory that are selling $2-3 above Amazon (before shipping). These sellers have been ruining the site for us small sellers as they refresh their inventory on an almost daily basis, and then your listing gets buried on a buyer's wantlist.

I sell on Discogs. I have made one or two sales here but my sales topic is slow and dormant, I've made dozens of Discogs sales since making that topic and all I've gotten here are dumb lowballs. I don't sell on eBay simply because the fees seem too high to make it worth it.

I haven't found any great used record stores that sell a lot of modern things, although I'm not in a busy city. All used record stores stock around here are old garbage unloaded from someone's basement, or discounted modern records that nobody wants in the first place. So again, Discogs comes to the rescue. Most fair priced in-demand records are gone in a flash on there, though.

I'm surprised that the reddit board would be useful - I am loathe to make an account, but it might be a good prospect.

1 hour ago, tellallyourfriends said:

Discogs it is. I'll give it a test run with 5 records this weekend. 

Discogs is free and easy to list. I would recommend listing more than 5 items. 

I buy used records from Discogs sellers all the time. I can't tell you the last time I bought from eBay or even looked at the sales forum here.

2 hours ago, dnl said:

These sellers have been ruining the site for us small sellers as they refresh their inventory on an almost daily basis, and then your listing gets buried on a buyer's wantlist.

That's really annoying for buyers as well.  I really wish they could do something about that...at least allow people to block specific sellers so they don't see their stuff constantly being relisted...

Discogs is my personal favorite by far since where I live now it is very difficult to get to any record shops unless I am traveling. I also like being able to message the smaller sellers and work out a bit of a deal for several items which they are usually always willing to do. There are also two sellers i felt comfortable enough to just make transactions on the side with through paypal which benefits us both since they pay no fees and I get a bit of that knocked off my total.

Ebay is alright for the more obscure records which not a lot of people are looking for because anything remotely popular goes for retail or higher much of the time.

Amazon is actually GREAT as well if you set up price alerts and are patient. It's nice getting the random email alerts on albums I had forgotten about at times too. The great deals go very quickly though so you have to be quick.

Edited by hype

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

That's really annoying for buyers as well.  I really wish they could do something about that...at least allow people to block specific sellers so they don't see their stuff constantly being relisted...

yeah, hands down my biggest gripe with discogs as well.. I know I am missing out on a lot because of it too.

9 hours ago, hammertime said:

I feel as if discogs won't allow blocking anytime soon since these sellers are the ones discogs profits off the most. In the forums, people have been requesting this for over a year now and no response from the developers at all.

46 minutes ago, dnl said:

I feel as if discogs won't allow blocking anytime soon since these sellers are the ones discogs profits off the most. In the forums, people have been requesting this for over a year now and no response from the developers at all.

That's absolutely true.  Sellers relist everything because it works.  I've unlisted everything to go on vacation a couple times, and when I get back and relist everything, I always get a few orders, even on something that had been languishing for months.  I would do it all the time too if I was completely shameless and unconcerned with being able to look at myself in the mirror.

Edited by hammertime

Discogs.

It takes literally 30 seconds to list a record for sale. Most people on there have a better idea of what they are doing too, rather than eBay or elsewhere.

I rarely sell records though.

When I buy used, it's either local (there's a lot of record shops in my area), or discogs.

Edited by vinyl addict

1 hour ago, tellallyourfriends said:

I have great records stores by me, but...they aren't great for selling to. I completed understand that they have to do what they do but I can't sell to them. I'll get $25 and those records will be priced at $400 total. 

I'm always curious what my local shop pays for more valuable stuff. There's an OG yellow Against Me! New Wave in there for $38 that I would've bought in a heartbeat had they gotten it in before the repress. Sad thing is, they've had a copy of the repress in stock since it released too. 

On 8/12/2016 at 3:36 PM, tellallyourfriends said:

Discogs it is. I'll give it a test run with 5 records this weekend. 

Good luck. To be honest I almost always purchase at least 2 records from people on Discogs to save on shipping. So my advice is once you get the hang of it to just toss everything up there. Then people can buy more at once (which also saves you time in shipping it all).