PO Soon: Athletics - When To Run, Where To Hide (09.02.16)

also i woke up this morning and only saw $7 for the EP (despite the talk of pay-what-you-want) and paid up. if i ever had the privilege of seeing them live i'd happily give them a $5 tip. which is basically what it is after paying $2 for the songs. i know it's a matter of principle but if anyone deserves to be overpaid for two songs, it's these guys

15 minutes ago, drds89 said:

Nice tracks, they kept their sound :)

Please don't do a 7" - my vote's in for a 10" or even a 12" SS. I'm not gonna buy a 7.

I just don't want a crappy lathe. I just bought one recently and it reminded me how seriously worthless lathe cut "records" are. When a flexi beats you in the sound department, what is the point?

33 minutes ago, deer said:

The thing about lathes is that they're all different. Dan at Intheclouds makes the best-sounding lathes I've ever heard, some of mine have no discernible difference from actual vinyl. He has a custom machine and cuts them all by himself - I think a lathe of this 7" would sound just fine from him.

Depending on your system. The better your system sometimes you can tell how truly awful lathes are. Personally I'm sick of all this lathe gimmick garbage. Just give me an LP I can spin that sounds good. Fuck it, make them all black while we're at it. I'm just really sick of all the gimmicks. I just want to listen to music. 

Edited by Dave Grohl

1 minute ago, Dave Grohl said:

Depending on your system. The better your system sometimes you can tell how truly awful lathes are. Personally I'm sick of all thus lathe gimmick garbage. Just give me an LP I can spin that sounds good. Fuck it, make them all black while we're at it. I'm just really sick of all the gimmicks. I just want to listen to music. 

True, every other lathe I've ever had has sounded terrible. Dan's lathes are a league of their own... not as good as vinyl, of course; but he uses lathes to make limited small runs that are overall cheaper and quicker than vinyl presses of low size, it's not quite a gimmick as much as it is a better method of selling smaller runs for him. His machine is custom and new as far as I know so it's got a better cutting quality than most other plexiglass lathes.

I do think a full vinyl press of this would sell out, though.

5 hours ago, The Butcha said:

These new tunes are so good. I also just snagged another copy of Who You Are Is Not Enough. One more copy of Why Aren't I Home and I'll be damn near finished...besides tests. 

Where the hell did you get one?  They never pop up for me on Discogs, but I've had it in my wantlist for like a year or two now (however long since I discovered them).  

8 hours ago, deer said:

True, every other lathe I've ever had has sounded terrible. Dan's lathes are a league of their own... not as good as vinyl, of course; but he uses lathes to make limited small runs that are overall cheaper and quicker than vinyl presses of low size, it's not quite a gimmick as much as it is a better method of selling smaller runs for him. His machine is custom and new as far as I know so it's got a better cutting quality than most other plexiglass lathes.

I do think a full vinyl press of this would sell out, though.

The only lathe I have is This Patch of Sky - Newly Risen, How Brightly You Shine and it sounds fucking horrific.  So much noise and static.  Which is really unfortunate, because the music on that album is absolutely astounding.  

12 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Where the hell did you get one?  They never pop up for me on Discogs, but I've had it in my wantlist for like a year or two now (however long since I discovered them).  

The only lathe I have is This Patch of Sky - Newly Risen, How Brightly You Shine and it sounds fucking horrific.  So much noise and static.  Which is really unfortunate, because the music on that album is absolutely astounding.  

Got the "cup o Joe" variant on discogs a few months back. Just got the jack and coke variant from a cool lady friend on the boards. They rarely pop up but if I see one I'll let ya know duder. 

23 minutes ago, The Butcha said:

Got the "cup o Joe" variant on discogs a few months back. Just got the jack and coke variant from a cool lady friend on the boards. They rarely pop up but if I see one I'll let ya know duder. 

Yeah I knew you'd snagged the one on Discogs, and I saw that and was like "FUCKING ANOTHER ONE I MISSED?!"  haha.  I am always after a copy of "Who You Are" and "Why Aren't I Home".  Interestingly enough, the Discogs data shows that their stuff usually only goes for like $20-ish dollars.  It would really behoove them to repress this stuff though, it would sell out instantly.  

On 9/2/2016 at 3:40 PM, Dave Grohl said:

Depending on your system. The better your system sometimes you can tell how truly awful lathes are. Personally I'm sick of all this lathe gimmick garbage. Just give me an LP I can spin that sounds good. Fuck it, make them all black while we're at it. I'm just really sick of all the gimmicks. I just want to listen to music. 

Athletics was fucking awesome Saturday, and they played both new songs.  When To Run I think is the better of the 2, but they are both incredible and translated very well to the stage.  They also have suuuuuper cheap shirts ($10!) if you guys feel like contacting them to buy more stuff.  Really hoping they do a 7" for these 2 songs, so give them more of your money!

Here is most of "Where To Hide" that I recorded:

i think where to hide is one of the best songs i've heard all year. the cascading harmonies in the bridge, or outro, or whatever you want to call it -- they're incredible.

if anyone has hookups on merch, as the response directly before me mentioned, i'd basically die for finally owning a large athletics shirt. so if anyone can help this brother out, please let me know!!!

Edited by chamb117

• 1 year later...