What will happen to your records when you die?

15 hours ago, sillybarry said:

I have 2 sons. I have been slowly 1 & 3... I have been playing them music in the womb, Both boys fall asleep to Rockabye Baby style  lullaby renditions of music and I have music playing constantly. I take my 3 year-old crate digging at Flea Markets. I am grooming them with hopes that one of them take it over... altho I have considered lately to sell it as one lot and start over digging from scratch

Classic mistake. Your sons are going to hate music. They're going to play football and listen to commercial peak-era Eminem.

I've been doing this thing lately where I'll put some kind of memory (pictures of friends/family, concert ticket stubs, etc) that had happened around the same I bought the albums and put them in their sleeves. Whenever I pass, certain albums will be given to certain friends and when they play the record, I hope they find the little memories I put in there. Nothing like a nice surprise, eh? 

I told my wife about my Discogs account a couple of months ago and she has most likely forgotten about it about now. I have also made a note for my daughter to keep what she wants, and if she'd rather sell them, it's up to her. Probably she'll want new shoes and more make-up in the future when I'm six feet under.

4 hours ago, themeconspiracy said:

And they will become...record bowls when my body finally goes. 

I see what you did there... 

This is something that had never crossed my mind until today. In an ideal world my wife will be sensible and sell them all, and do something nice with the cash. But who knows what will happen and where any of us will be when we go... 

My dad has told me I'm going to be in charge of his records when he goes, we have quite a lot of overlapping tastes so I don't know what I'll do with it when it happens (hopefully not for a long time yet). I know he has some original Vertigo label Black Sabbath albums but my guess is I'll probably sell it all and split the money raised between my brothers and my mum.

For my collection I've not really thought about what will happen, I'd like them to find good homes but in all likelihood they'll wind up in a charity shop.

I will be buried with them. It will be a heavy casket made from the sturdiest of wood. It will not have a finish since I spent most of my money on the coffin itself. To fit all my records, it will be 25 feet long, 15 feet wide and weigh thousands of pounds. It will take at least 50 paul bearers to carry it.

Or, just give them to someone since most are not worth shit to anyone but me. Yes, this is the real answer.

Edited by rsholtis

6 minutes ago, rsholtis said:

I will be buried with them. It will be a heavy casket made from the sturdiest of wood. It will not have a finish since I spent most of my money on the coffin itself. To fit all my records, it will be 25 feet long, 15 feet wide and weigh thousands of pounds. It will take at least 50 paul bearers to carry it.

Or, just give them to someone since most are not worth shit to anyone but me. Yes, this is the real answer.

You should look into the new KALLAX coffins from IKEA. Not as much outer limb protection as the old EXPEDIT coffins, but I doubt you (or your vinyl) will notice.

4 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

You should look into the new KALLAX coffins from IKEA. Not as much outer limb protection as the old EXPEDIT coffins, but I doubt you (or your vinyl) will notice.

Ohhhh. They better have black-brown in stock. If it is only yellow and white, I will be pretty upset. Honestly, it will not matter. Someone will find out I was buried with them and I will be the victim of grave robbing within 4-6 months. The bandits will make off when the hundred of dollars the collection is worth.