PO NOW : Metallica - Hardwired...to Self Destruct

59 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

As far as current goes, I can name a few off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch.

Black Sabbath (though, this is their "last" tour. Will be seeing them Thursday)

Rush

Iron Maiden

Rolling Stones

U2

Aerosmith

ZZ Top

I guess Metallica would fall into this category as well. People are still buying it, so I guess it's "great music" to some people.

If you mean 33 years total and not currently making music then there's LOTS more. You need to broaden your music horizon.

Yeah. You're right man. When anyone talks about great Aerosmith, Rolling Stones or U2 albums, they always reference post 2010 albums.

I haven't heard of any of those other bands you mentioned though. My music horizon is very narrow.

2 hours ago, 74R said:

Yeah. You're right man. When anyone talks about great Aerosmith, Rolling Stones or U2 albums, they always reference post 2010 albums.

I haven't heard of any of those other bands you mentioned though. My music horizon is very narrow.

You never mentioned current bands anyway, you just said 33 years. I was just naming bands that are still making music. There's dozens that have broken up/members pass away that were around around for 33+ years. 

AC/DC is another current one. Been around since the early 70s and their last album was a pretty big seller. Hell, they are currently touring with Axl.

You've never heard of Iron Maiden? Rush?

You just made my point.

Edited by vinyl addict
Fixed punctuation

59 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

You never mentioned current bands anyway, you just said 33 years. I was just naming bands that are still making music. There's dozens that have broken up/members pass away that were around around for 33+ years. 

AC/DC is another current one. Been around since the early 70s and their last album was a pretty big seller. Hell, they are currently touring with Axl.

You've never heard of Iron Maiden? Rush?

You just made my point.

Maybe you should read who & what I was originally responding to prior to making comments of your own. A previous poster stated the new Metallica song wasn't as good as Battery & Bell Tolls era Metallica. I posted that I didn't find it surprising that a now sober band 33 years older doesn't crank out the same sounding stuff as they did when they were boozin' & druggin' & 20 years old.

Assuming that I haven't heard of ZZ Top, The Rolling Stones, Iron Maiden, etc & suggesting I broaden my musical horizons is a bit over the top in my opinion. Thanks for the advice though.

Edited by 74R

31 minutes ago, 74R said:

Maybe you should read who & what I was originally responding to prior to making comments of your own. A previous poster stated the new Metallica song wasn't as good as Battery & Bell Tolls era Metallica. I posted that I didn't find it surprising that a now sober band 33 years older doesn't crank out the same sounding stuff as they did when they were boozin' & druggin' & 20 years old.

Assuming that I haven't heard of ZZ Top, The Rolling Stones, Iron Maiden, etc & suggesting I broaden my musical horizons is a bit over the top in my opinion. Thanks for the advice though.

I really don't see how booze made them any better at writing this type of music. And Lars has always sucked. 

59 minutes ago, 74R said:

How does anyone not know the rolling stones?

Easily one of the 5 most recognizable bands of alltime. 

45 minutes ago, Satan said:

The fact that you lump this in with st. anger makes anything else you say in this thread irrelevant.

"We're so fucked, shit out of luck" pretty much is  the equivalent of "My lifestyle determines my deathstyle". Laughable lyrics from someone in their 50's

Just because Metallica writes a fast song everyone jumps back about how great they are. That song musically is boring and sounds like some 3rd tier thrash band.

But you know, that is just my opinion

3 minutes ago, 74R said:

Any one else notice Lars' error in the live version of this?

Listen to the second round of double bass at the 3 minute mark. It's pretty obvious. 

First one to name the mistake he makes gets a free cookie!

First one who can name 74R's parents' mistake gets a cookie...

2 minutes ago, 74R said:

Remember that time like two pages ago in this thread when I posted I couldn't wait to hear Lars fuck up the double bass part live? Well he did. Crazy coincidence right!?

Unrelated. I do remember that and had no doubt he would. Dude needs to retire.

15 hours ago, 74R said:

You can't be serious.