PO NOW : Metallica - Hardwired...to Self Destruct

7 minutes ago, Satan said:

You shut your whore mouth!

Most of my friends have been shitting on the record.  It's music, and totally subjective.  I, personally, think the album is a really enjoyable listen.  I do question how capable Lars is of pulling off some of the songs live, but we shall see.  His playing seems to get worse and worse as the years go by and the simplistic playing on this record is a slim hope that he can pull off the few double bass parts live*

*Spoiler alert....not a fucking shot in hell.

Edited by BoopsRecords
drunk.

7 minutes ago, BoopsRecords said:

Most of my friends have been shitting on the record.  It's music, and totally subjective.  I, personally, think the album is a really enjoyable listen.  I do question how capable Lars is of pulling off some of the songs live, but we shall see.  His playing seems to get worse and worse as the years go by and the simplistic playing on this record is a slim hope that he can pull off the few double bass parts live*

*Spoiler alert....not a fucking shot in hell.

I just can't imagine paying to go see Metallica play live any more. Maybe if they could somehow miraculously play just the first four albums and play them well.

The album is good......i'm happy after a couple of listens.....definitely not perfect and far from an RTL or AJFA but i was obviously expecting that.

Once again.....the album could have been shorter......lots of shit could have been cut to make the songs flow a bit better and even just make it 1CD.......fuck having to get up and change a CD.....thats what the Hobby is for.  Murder One i was not a fan of on the first listen and think that could have even been kept as a B side or bonus somewhere else......for a tribute to Lemmy its fell short for me.

Every Metallica fan i know is going ape shit for Spit Out The Bone........i think the pearlers are the Load/Reload sounding riffy songs earlier.....Now That We're Dead.....Dream No More......Halo on Fire......Thats where im going to be doing the majority of listening

From the artwork to the sound of at least a couple of the songs, I got a definite Load/ReLoad vibe from this album too.  Favourites for me are: Hardwired, Moth To Flame, Atlas Rise and Spit Out The Bone.

Still need to give it a few more decent listens though, because the middle seems to be a bit of a blur at the moment.

I think the album has some killer songs in it...however it should have been shorter, some songs feel streched out needlessly just for the hell of it. An 8 minute song on MOP for example flies by and gets you involved while a song of this length seems endless on HTSD  because there's not much variation going on.

In my opinion the tracklist should have been:

1. Hardwired
  2. Atlas, Rise!
  3. Now That We’re Dead
  4. Moth Into Flame
  5. Dream No More
  6. Confusion
  7. ManUNkind
  8. Murder One
  9. Spit Out The Bone

A 9-Song Banger with no let down...And have Here comes revenge and the other 2 as a future b side for a single or make another EP with leftovers.

I'm still struggeling on giving it a rank number since the production is so much better than death magnetics, but the artwork is just rediculously bad and the 12 song-record should have been a 9-song record imo. But maybe the others will grow on me...hopefully

it's better than the last 2, but nothing really stood out to me. Diehard fans shouldn't be too disappointed, but I'll continue to stick to the first 4. I worked the midnight release, was really cool to see a bunch of people come out, and they were all so excited so it made me happy. More importantly a new buddy of mine won the RTL boxset (3 LP, 6 CD, 2 DVD) we raffled off, got to check it out last night it was an impressive set. The live lp disc sounded great

Edited by NapalmBrain

For me, this record is the legitimate successor of the Black Album. Took them only 25 years...

Load/Reload didn't do it for me, St. Anger is nothing to speak of and Death Magnetic also didn't click for me at all. This one does. A lot of hits (all previously released songs, of course Spit Out The Bone...) and some growers with a lot of cool parts in it.

It's actually a contemporary Metallica record. Though, one could ask, whether Metallica are contemporary at all. Hardly any modern metal band today repeats a riff more than four times in a single part of a song. But Metallica is still all about riffing and they are doing it 8x or even 16x for each riff. So you get 80+ minutes of music, value for money, yes, but you have to let go of your listening habits.

By the way, the red vinyl looks amazing. And, yes, there's music on it...

My wife picked up a signed copy of this at her work. She works for a radio station and they were doing their annual fundraiser/auctions.

We scored it for a great deal. I'll post a pic up in a bit. 

Figures, I already ordered the red variant and it's on its way.

1 hour ago, vinyl addict said:

My wife picked up a signed copy of this at her work. She works for a radio station and they were doing their annual fundraiser/auctions.

We scored it for a great deal. I'll post a pic up in a bit. 

Figures, I already ordered the red variant and it's on its way.

Don't worry, I take the signed one!

On 11/18/2016 at 9:48 PM, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I just can't imagine paying to go see Metallica play live any more. Maybe if they could somehow miraculously play just the first four albums and play them well.

The last time I saw Metallicaaccount was 14 years ago. I thought james vocals were shot and the woos going on were way too on much. The setlists and visual aspect is too predictable(pyro stuff during one) and Lars antics are way too much

2 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

The last time I saw Metallicaaccount was 14 years ago. I thought james vocals were shot and the woos going on were way too on much. The setlists and visual aspect is too predictable(pyro stuff during one) and Lars antics are way too much

Bummer :/

Seeing Sabbath this year was a highlight for me because the show was great.

While I'd like to see Metallica, I just don't think they'd put on half the show those dudes did, or from what I hear Maiden still does (also need to see them asap).

For anyone interested, my buddy sped up some tracks to 125% and re-uploaded them to YT.  

ManUnkind

Am I Savage 

Revenge 

ManUnknind

Murder One

Atlas Rise

Spit out the Bone

Dream no more

Moth into Flame