PO NOW: American Football - American Football (LP2) (Oct 21 2016; Polyvinyl)

I held off on giving much of an opinion for a while. I just can't get into this. I'm in my mid- late-30s. I love LP1. I love some of Mike's work. But I think Owen is meh.

The vocals on this record (and indeed everything Owen) are just too prominent in the mix and delivered in a way that detracts from my enjoyment of the music. I get why fans of twinkly emo-revival are drooling over this. Honestly, it's great music. I think the instrumentation is incredibly solid after so many years. But the final mix is underwhelming, if not disappointing. What I had hoped would be one of my favorite albums of the year, is maybe going to cut into the top-50.  I don't regret pre-ordering or supporting the band though.

Oh well, maybe the new Joan of Arc will be more to my taste ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Saw them tonight in Chicago. Fantastic show. They sounded really, really good. They played everything from both albums but not in order. I actually really enjoyed the new stuff live, more than I expected to. Also hung around and met them and their families after, they're all super nice people. Go see them if you can. Also, Joan of Arc opened. A guy in a banana suit and mask danced around and smushed bananas up in his hands and handed them out to the audience, so there's that.

0LRujGkm.jpg

GUlQ3hMm.jpg

3iIUu2qm.jpg

NOXOQxmm.jpg

23 minutes ago, AtarisBSBH98 said:

My company did lighting for the Chicago show this weeked, and I actually helped get the lighting rig together for them.   I was pretty pumped about it, needless to say.  I know it was a small rig but it looks like they did it right!  What did you think about the rig?

Looked great to me! HONESTLY I'd give the whole show a 10/10. I enjoyed it as much as some much bigger acts I saw this summer like Radiohead and LCD Soundsystem (both favorite bands of mine). It felt so personal and meaningful, like I was in a crowd of my best friends all singing along to songs that define our existence. Not to be sappy haha. But I had a huge smile on my face the entire time.

I recorded the whole show from the balcony with a condenser mic. It sounds pretty good but that room always comes out boomy. I'll try to clean it up a bit and post it soon. 

Oh, and here was the setlist:

1. Where Are We Now?
  2. Honestly?
  3. Home Is Where the Haunt Is
  4. Give Me the Gun
  5. For Sure
  6. My Instincts Are the Enemy
  7. I Need a Drink (or Two or Three)
  8. I've Been So Lost for So Long
  9. I'll See You When We're Both Not So Emotional
  10. Stay Home
  11. Desire Gets in the Way
  12. Everyone Is Dressed Up
    ENCORE:
  13. The Summer Ends
  14. Born to Lose
  15. Never Meant
Edited by dreamover

2 minutes ago, dreamover said:

I recorded the whole show from the balcony with a condenser mic. It sounds pretty good but that room always comes out boomy. I'll try to clean it up a bit and post it soon. 

I'm not usually one for live stuff...but this I would love to hear

• 4 weeks later...

Even though our junior musicians don't think that there is much going on musically on this album, you can still go buy a transcriptions and tablature book for it now. Ships end of December:

https://www.hellomerch.com/collections/american-football/products/american-football-transcriptions-and-tablature-book

Screen_Shot_2016_11_25_at_17_24_19.png

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, BBech said:

Anyone get the gold variant of this and have a lot of surface noise?  On both sides I get this loud scratching noise that is pretty prevalent while quiet.  Its on both sides and when I play another brand new record I don't get it.  

It may just need a good clean. Mine has very slight surface noise in some quiet parts, but I haven't given it a good wet clean like I usually do. I imagine that'll eliminate it for the most part.

could also just be you got a bad copy, but I'm leaning toward its dirty.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...