PO: Nirvana - "Incesticide" (2016 Geffen release)

I see that MusicDirect has Nirvana "Incesticide" listed as a pre-order through Geffen with a release date (to be announced). I spoke to Seth at MD and he said they weren't given a specific release date from the label as of yet. For shits and giggles I emailed Andrew at ORG to see if their remaster was being used for this release. He said Geffen/Universal was handling their own pressing entirely. I have the other ORG Nirvana pressings and they sound amazing but sadly I do not own Incesticide. Given the nature of the original recordings on Incesticide (demos/live Peel sessions etc), I'm sure however Geffen handles it I'll be happy at $25.

Anyway -  anyone have more info on this release?

Music Direct pre-orders...

https://www.musicdirect.com/Search?category=Vinyl&specials=Preorder&sort=popularity%7CDESC&page=1&c1=tab-products&c2=grid

Jim

Edited by JimandTara

1 hour ago, highfives said:

Whatever it is, I'll be more than happy to pay a reasonable price for this rather than shelling out $200 for any other copy of it...

They don't all nearly cost that much. You can get the 200g 2XLP,  and the 180g Clear for about $80 each or less at times. But $25 is still considerably less. 

Also, here is the direct link: https://www.musicdirect.com/vinyl/nirvana-incesticide-vinyl-lp

I'm assuming the plates will be the same as the ORG pressing. I'll probably buy this and compare it to the 200g 2XLP I have. All official pressings of the album sound great, so I'm sure this will as well. 

Edited by Dave Grohl

36 minutes ago, Holo said:

Guess it's time to ditch my what I am pretty sure is a bootleg

Definitely. The boots are shit compared to the official pressings.

10 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

I have an original UK and idk if it's worth getting rid of. I'll probably just hold onto it.

Definitely hold onto that. I would get a 180g or 20th Ann. 200g 2xLP to compare if you're really in love with the album. The sound is a little different, and I personally prefer the 20th over the original actually. Your EU OG copy should in theory sound exactly like this new RP.

Edited by Dave Grohl

7 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Definitely. The boots are shit compared to the official pressings.

Definitely hold onto that. I would get a 180g or 20th Ann. 200g 2xLP to compare if you're really in love with the album. The sound is a little different, and I personally prefer the 20th over the original actually. Your EU OG copy should in theory sound exactly like this new RP.

Please explain this theory that suggests that a LP cut and pressed in Europe in 1992 would sound exactly the same as a modern US reissue pressed in 2016. 

Unless you just like throwing away money, or you "gotta catch 'me all", you are wasting your time buying this if you own the 2xLP 45rpm cut. That version is a bit better than the ORGMusic reissue, but the ORGMusic is still very good, and some may prefer it due to be 1LP.

if this uses old parts or plates, it will most likely be the ORGMusic plates, like the Geffen/Universal Nevermind. Otherwise it will be a completely new cut. 

9 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

They don't all nearly cost that much. You can get the 200g 2XLP,  and the 180g Clear for about $80 each or less at times. But $25 is still considerably less. 

Also, here is the direct link: https://www.musicdirect.com/vinyl/nirvana-incesticide-vinyl-lp

I'm assuming the plates will be the same as the ORG pressing. I'll probably buy this and compare it to the 200g 2XLP I have. All official pressings of the album sound great, so I'm sure this will as well. 

I wasn't being completely serious that every copy costs over $200.  But, it seems the "good" ones - RSD 2xLP, ORG, OG Blue, all seem to be right at $100 or more.  I'm kicking myself for not grabbing the ORG copy when they still had stock, but that is what it is.  Hopefully Geffen uses those plates and has it pressed at Pallas or something.

12 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

Wait, does Incesticide really go for $100? Thats crazy. The RSD and ORG versions sat around for what seemed like forever.

These current prices are the cheapest I've seen in a while.

$90 -  https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/4054009?ev=rb

~$90 - https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/2732188?ev=rb

$75 - https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/2732199?ev=rb

2 hours ago, highfives said:

I wasn't being completely serious that every copy costs over $200.  But, it seems the "good" ones - RSD 2xLP, ORG, OG Blue, all seem to be right at $100 or more.  I'm kicking myself for not grabbing the ORG copy when they still had stock, but that is what it is.  Hopefully Geffen uses those plates and has it pressed at Pallas or something.

Ah, gotcha. Thankfully the others have come down a bit over the years. The OG Blue is always expensive for some reason. Doesn't want to budge. And I'm sure some people will unload the OG pressing a little cheaper once this repress comes out. 

6 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Ah, gotcha. Thankfully the others have come down a bit over the years. The OG Blue is always expensive for some reason. Doesn't want to budge. And I'm sure some people will unload the OG pressing a little cheaper once this repress comes out. 

I remember thinking the same thing when those last represses came out because i had just bought a blue for around $60 on ebay. And the blue value has gone up pretty good since then which is surprising. Seems like the first presses of all of the Nirvana albums have been slowing increasing over the years regardless of how many times the get repressed.

33 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Anyone know if MD charges you right away or when it ships? The TBA date is a bit off putting, but will order soon anyway.

I've always been charged straight-away on pre-orders from them. I wouldn't worry about the "TBA" release date designation on their pre-order page - as I mentioned above in the OP, Seth from MD confirmed they've been notified by Geffen that it's coming soon, just no specific date. If you look at other releases on their pre-order page, many have a TBA date.

Jim

Edited by JimandTara