PO UP: Mae - (m)(a)(e)

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a sec...I think people are just disappointed their first pressing purchase, which was supposedly the only pressing of this, has turned out to not be the the only pressing and a newer, more limited, and perhaps more appealing pressing has appeared.  That's understandable...to an extent.

But think about this: I'm guessing most, if not all, of us here really like Mae and are excited they're putting out new music and seem to be active once again (<---focus on this last sentence, mostly).  And if we're all being honest, we know being in Mae isn't financially lucrative and these guys more than likely make less money than many of us do here.  With that in mind, I think them making available another 500 copies of the (m)(a)(e) album should be seen less a slap in the face/broken promise/misleading/whatever or however you feel...and more as a band making a decision most of us would make were we grown adults in a relatively small band like Mae--press some more copies and make a little more money (gasp) and make a few more folks happy who missed the first pressing.  

If that's going to help these guys continue making music and being an active band again, maybe we should all be willing to let go of the disappointment/deep betrayal we feel and see this for what it is: a band we love is making music again and that's a great reason to...let it go.  

Edited by mmhmm

It's just about lying to your fans that makes it dishonorable. All of those points you made are fine and good, but if you have a record up at a high price point saying /300 and one time pressing, and then up the quantity twice in the same day after it sells out, and then repress it a few months later- it's just lame. fans are collectors too and it's neat to own a collectible item from a band you love, especially when it's pretty costly out the gate. It just devalues the entire experience and I know I'm not the only one who thinks that 

11 hours ago, Kanye West said:

It just devalues the entire flipping  experience and I know I'm not the only one who thinks that 

I assume you would still scoff at the repress if you were one of the many that very much enjoy the record(s) but were unable to grab the first press? Of course you would. Why would you be excited to just be able to grab this at all when all Mae fans have been so viciously deceived.

Keep fighting the good fight.

6 hours ago, deafening said:

I assume you would still scoff at the repress if you were one of the many that very much enjoy the record(s) but were unable to grab the first press? Of course you would. Why would you be excited to just be able to grab this at all when all Mae fans have been so viciously deceived.

Keep fighting the good fight.

It's so easy to throw a dagger at someone saying "you just want to flip the record" when you're incapable of comprehending collector culture. 

The fun of collecting is that not everyone CAN have everything. You hunt for the ones you missed from years past, and it's a cool feeling to acquire something limited from a band you love. If I have to explain collecting to you, you may be slightly daft. 

Maybe I'm alone in this but if I announce a 1st pressing of 300 on a certain color, I'd probably stick to that.  Not increase the 1st press run.  Then I'd announce a second press due to massive demand with a much larger run.  I just think it's weird when the 2nd pressing is more limited than the 1st pressing, and on a more attractive color scheme. 

19 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

It's so easy to throw a dagger at someone saying "you just want to flip the record" when you're incapable of comprehending collector culture. 

The fun of collecting is that not everyone CAN have everything. You hunt for the ones you missed from years past, and it's a cool feeling to acquire something limited from a band you love. If I have to explain collecting to you, you may be slightly daft. 

The addition of flipping was just for funsies.

A lot of first pressings are black, which means literally any other color that gets repressed will (subjectively) be prettier.

A lot of second and third pressings are more limited than the first.

I have witnessed on more than one occasion a second press put up the same hour a first press sells out, or a bump in numbers on the first press.

My dumb stupid brain comprehends collector culture. It does not comprehend the whining entitled culture. 

Yeah, I wasn't able to afford this when the 1st run went up so I'm grateful this is happening.

I just don't get Mae's logic when they launched the 1st preorder. How could they have not predicted a small allocation of 300 wouldn't be gone immediately. Have they not paid any attention to the quantity sold on their other releases. Seems they could have safely launched at least 1,000 from the start and been just fine (on multiple color ways).  They took a weird approach with this release. Wonder how many requests they are getting for people to switch variants....

• 4 weeks later...

I bought 2 copies of the first pressing, 1 for me and 1 for my sister. Got this email today:

First off, thanks so much for your (m)(a)(e) order in October.  We’re writing today to let you know that we expect to receive the vinyl tomorrow and we’ll be shipping your order out as quickly as possible this week.

We’re also writing you to ask a favor!

You had placed an order for two (2) copies of the release on the “Transparent” variant.  Unfortunately, the pressing plant sent us a lot fewer copies than we ordered, so we’re oversold and many people who ordered it will not be able to receive it.

If you’d be willing, instead of a second copy of the “Transparent” variant, we’d like to send you a copy of the “Smoke” variant.  

Would this be okay with you?  If so, we’d really appreciate it.

Thanks again for your support and patience,
Dave, Jacob, and Zach
-MAE

Works for me because I liked the smoke variant more anyway haha

2 hours ago, mmhmm said:

Wow that's interesting...how does a plant send "a lot fewer" copies than ordered?  Someone reply to the e-mail and ask what the 1st pressing numbers now are.  

Over/under the ordered amount is pretty normal. Labels that have done this before know better than to pre-sell the exact amount you ordered from the plant so you don't necessarily hear about it often.

On 3/21/2017 at 6:49 PM, dantheriver said:

Over/under the ordered amount is pretty normal. Labels that have done this before know better than to pre-sell the exact amount you ordered from the plant so you don't necessarily hear about it often.

Yeah... I've never had any unders thankfully but this is why I hate pre-orders.