PO (NOW) - Pray For Sound "Everything Is Beautiful"

16 minutes ago, Sasan said:

Just listened to it...it's almost annoyingly positive :huh:

Need to give it another listen tomorrow and see if it's still not my cup of tea...

This is actually how I thought the album was going to be based on the pre-released tracks, but I listened to it early this morning all the way through and really liked how it all went together. $31 for a 2xLP non-import is a little tough to swallow right now, though, so it'll take a few more listens to convince me to drop that kind of cash

28 minutes ago, omik11303 said:

This is actually how I thought the album was going to be based on the pre-released tracks, but I listened to it early this morning all the way through and really liked how it all went together. $31 for a 2xLP non-import is a little tough to swallow right now, though, so it'll take a few more listens to convince me to drop that kind of cash

I'm trying to not let the beauty of the packaging and variants sway my decision. It was a 6 for me with one listen. $31 is definitely stretching it, especially considering how much other shit there is I want to buy. 

3 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

I'm trying to not let the beauty of the packaging and variants sway my decision. It was a 6 for me with one listen. $31 is definitely stretching it, especially considering how much other shit there is I want to buy. 

After listen one I'm at a 7.5-ish. Typically that'd be enough for me to take the plunge, but there are some 9's and 9.5's that I've been putting off buying that take precedence. That inner gatefold looks gorgeous though, ugh...

3 minutes ago, omik11303 said:

After listen one I'm at a 7.5-ish. Typically that'd be enough for me to take the plunge, but there are some 9's and 9.5's that I've been putting off buying that take precedence. That inner gatefold looks gorgeous though, ugh...

Yeah, I'm not pulling the trigger unless it turns into a 9 at that price. I'd trade a few more points on the album for a basic black 2xLP. Haha.

Of course it's better than pg.lost!

But for real, I had very mixed thoughts my first two times through.  I think overall there is a ton more energy in their songs, but at times it just seemed very bland, with some stand out moments mixed in.  Need to let it sink in a lot more before deciding.  I definitely liked it a lot more than I disliked it.  

I do feel like I'm always trying to like this band more than I actually do though.

1 hour ago, mrewest said:

Of course it's better than pg.lost!

But for real, I had very mixed thoughts my first two times through.  I think overall there is a ton more energy in their songs, but at times it just seemed very bland, with some stand out moments mixed in.  Need to let it sink in a lot more before deciding.  I definitely liked it a lot more than I disliked it.  

I do feel like I'm always trying to like this band more than I actually do though.

Yeah there are a good handful of moments that are very flat and being the album to a halt for me. More good than bad, but those moments that aren't dynamic kill the progression for me. I want to like it more than I do, but I don't know of that'll happen. I won't be upset if I don't cause there's a fuck ton of post rock out there getting harder to stand out. 

5 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Yeah there are a good handful of moments that are very flat and being the album to a halt for me. More good than bad, but those moments that aren't dynamic kill the progression for me. I want to like it more than I do, but I don't know of that'll happen. I won't be upset if I don't cause there's a fuck ton of post rock out there getting harder to stand out. 

What parts are you talking about?  I'm curious.  Granted, I don't *know* the album back to front yet; I think it takes many, many listens before one can completely know an album.  

Me, I fucking LOVE in "They Gave Up Looking" when the tambourine percussion comes in like a minute and a half in or whatever it is.  It makes the song really jump for me.  And then in "Everywhere, Everywhere" i love the dotted-8th-note rhythm in the bridge riff that comes in like halfway through the song, after the first big climax/heavy part.  

But I could see how some parts like the end of They Gave Up Looking might not be to one's taste...  it's different.  

6 hours ago, mrewest said:

This is how I feel about Mono and Lost In Kiev.  Aesthetically, I should love both bands to the moon.  But I don't.  Although Mono I like much more than Lost In Kiev.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm digging this record.  I finally listened to the vinyl tonight.  It seems slightly muffled at lower volumes, but opens up as you crank it.  The half and half looks pretty rad too.  All around a nice package.

Also, listening to this at 33 is pretty awesome.

Edited by highfives

• 2 weeks later...

the more I listen to this album, the more I feel that it's the strongest release of 2016 so far.  Usually I don't ever feel anything like that about albums, "this is top 5 of XYZ year" etc, but man.... this album is something else.  There's so many parts that get stuck in my head, and the songs are just SO WELL WRITTEN.  It's truly a journey.

I don't know how the hell they'll top this album.  I've had the CD in my car on repeat for days now.  It just never tires.

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

the more I listen to this album, the more I feel that it's the strongest release of 2016 so far.  Usually I don't ever feel anything like that about albums, "this is top 5 of XYZ year" etc, but man.... this album is something else.  There's so many parts that get stuck in my head, and the songs are just SO WELL WRITTEN.  It's truly a journey.

I don't know how the hell they'll top this album.  I've had the CD in my car on repeat for days now.  It just never tires.

Really?

Lost In Kiev easily beats this by miles.

6 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Really?

Lost In Kiev easily beats this by miles.

lol nooooo wayyyyy mannnnn.  Funny you should bring that up, because i listened to that album again this morning while I showered.  I try SO HARD to like them.  But, their music is just empty to me.  Aesthetically.... it's all there, and I should love it.  And it's not that it's bad, by any means.  It just does absolutely nothing for me. 

But t his album, it's SO RICH in complexity and detail and nuance.  The way they work the dynamics by shifting between lighter sections with some percussion (rather than drum-kit stuff) and the melodies and chord progressions; it's incredible. 

It might just come down to personal taste, though.  Lost In Kiev isn't a bad band, but there just are never really any sections of music that get stuck in my head or make me feel like bursting inside or that stick out and make me remember them, save for the end of one of the tracks on the first album, which they end up fading out.  It's so sick, because they find this amazing groove at the end, and then just cut it off with a fade.  GRRR!!!

However, I strongly....strongly urge you go to give this album another focused listen, man.  "I Have Seen Hell and It's White" is probably the best song on the album, from a compositional stand-point.  Killer melodies, creative arrangement, and then the peak at the end...   I just can't get enough. 

• 1 month later...

This release is up for 'Album of the Year' with Pirates Press. They are pretty high up in the rankings, I'd love to see this album win:) I think to vote, all you need to do is 'like' the facebook photo/post.

https://www.facebook.com/PiratesPress/photos/a.10155456044424027.1073741830.124003499026/10155456307609027/?type=3

The way Gumbo feels about Lost In Kiev is how I feel about Pray For Sound.  I've had to try way too hard to like them to no avail. This album is a snoozer.  They're a band with so much potential packed away in their music but it never feels fully realized.

And for the record, Kiev doesn't do anything for me either lol.

39 minutes ago, mrewest said:

The way Gumbo feels about Lost In Kiev is how I feel about Pray For Sound.  I've had to try way too hard to like them to no avail. This album is a snoozer.  They're a band with so much potential packed away in their music but it never feels fully realized.

The last Kiev record makes me cringe, if that counts for a reaction?  I've only spun Everything Is Beautiful once, and I feel like a good 20% of it really took off and went places.  It's yet to be determined if that percentage will increase with future revisits, but as it stands I can see where you're coming from.  A significant chunk did feel like incredibly forgettable and formulaic post-rock – that first play would've made me shit my pants, Gumbo style, if I had heard it back in 2008, maybe.

8 hours ago, Derek™ said:

The last Kiev record makes me cringe, if that counts for a reaction?  I've only spun Everything Is Beautiful once, and I feel like a good 20% of it really took off and went places.  It's yet to be determined if that percentage will increase with future revisits, but as it stands I can see where you're coming from.  A significant chunk did feel like incredibly forgettable and formulaic post-rock – that first play would've made me shit my pants, Gumbo style, if I had heard it back in 2008, maybe.

I can agree with this.  There isn't a big drive to get me to revisit this album, even though I've listened through it several times.

11 hours ago, mrewest said:

That's super fascinating to me!  haha   Have you given everything they've done a listen?  the Monophonic EP was what got me initially.  Within like, 40 seconds I was like "oh YES, THIS band has what I need!" haha

What do you think is missing in them, for you? 

11 hours ago, Derek™ said:

A significant chunk did feel like incredibly forgettable and formulaic post-rock – that first play would've made me shit my pants, Gumbo style, if I had heard it back in 2008, maybe.

That blows my mind that you say that haha, because so many parts from this album get stuck in my head constantly.  It's so crazy how people can have such different reactions to things.  You should give it a listen and let your mind be open to what the music does, because it has quite the coherent journey and arc throughout. 

what are your thoughts about Monophonic and Dreamer?  For me, Dreamer is great but has some demerits because number of the songs are directly lifting from other post-rock songs.  I mean, the opener is basically their version of "Quiet" and then there's another tune that sounds just like "Loft".  I guess I don't really let that influence my judgement aside from recognizing the similarity, maybe, because I still love it. 

On 12/15/2016 at 11:47 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

That's super fascinating to me!  haha   Have you given everything they've done a listen?  the Monophonic EP was what got me initially.  Within like, 40 seconds I was like "oh YES, THIS band has what I need!" haha

What do you think is missing in them, for you? 

That blows my mind that you say that haha, because so many parts from this album get stuck in my head constantly.  It's so crazy how people can have such different reactions to things.  You should give it a listen and let your mind be open to what the music does, because it has quite the coherent journey and arc throughout. 

what are your thoughts about Monophonic and Dreamer?  For me, Dreamer is great but has some demerits because number of the songs are directly lifting from other post-rock songs.  I mean, the opener is basically their version of "Quiet" and then there's another tune that sounds just like "Loft".  I guess I don't really let that influence my judgement aside from recognizing the similarity, maybe, because I still love it. 

Yes I've listened to both.  Both give me the same feelings.  I actually have 2 copies of Dreamer plus a test press lol.  

On 14.12.2016 at 5:28 PM, danielzenoff said:

This release is up for 'Album of the Year' with Pirates Press. They are pretty high up in the rankings, I'd love to see this album win:) I think to vote, all you need to do is 'like' the facebook photo/post.

https://www.facebook.com/PiratesPress/photos/a.10155456044424027.1073741830.124003499026/10155456307609027/?type=3

Oh man, I love vinyl...clicking through the candidates for AOTY was fantastic; so many beautiful record.

I wish I was able to literally express myself in English as Gumbo does...