Isis (theband) - a discussion

21 minutes ago, bortx said:

$12 intl shipping rate in merchtable is appreciated, they also have the best looking variant in my opinion, ordered!

$12 international shipping!?!?! If this holds up I'm so in. Couple of weeks ago I bought a freaking cassette from 'Murica and the shipping was like $16.

Would love the Wavering Radiant/Oceanic hoody but that'll definitely tip the package into painful territory.

@Mattallurgist $12 don't sound too bad if it's legit and you don't want to sleep on this.

Edited by Stress On The Sky

6 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

$12 international shipping confirmed. Total order was only £30.34. If I'd gotten the hoody it would've come to about £72 but even that is pretty reasonable if you imagine what you'd pay at a tour stop if they were still active.

Aw shit, that's super reasonable. Why are they doing this to me two weeks before Xmas? I can't even use the 'it's your present to yourself' excuse, I've already done that five times this month already...

8 hours ago, bortx said:

I mentioned that 5 posts above, not sure if my posts are read by anyone at all :)

To be fair you need about 700 more posts before your replies make it through the filters, so it's understandable.  But really, I somehow glazed right past that bit you shared.  My bad.

4 hours ago, jhulud said:

Gotta say that the clear w/ yellow splatter on HH's webstore is the better looking variant.

I agree with this.

3 hours ago, Billich0986 said:

second copy?

Duh.

7 hours ago, Mattallurgist said:

Aw shit, that's super reasonable. Why are they doing this to me two weeks before Xmas? I can't even use the 'it's your present to yourself' excuse, I've already done that five times this month already...

1furd7.jpg

1 minute ago, Gumbo72203 said:

i'm pretttttttttttty sure though that the original release was also re-mastered for vinyl.  That's why I'm curious.  2 different vinyl remasters?  but whyyyyyyyyy

So you have extra incentive to buy this (again) after 7 years, if you were lucky enough to grab a copy from 2009?  Considering how much time has passed, the remastering of Oceanic and Panopticon in very recent years, and the inclusion of the words "remastered" and "re-cut" in the product description, after all this time... I'm fairly confident it's an entirely new press and will sound audibly different.  I could be entirely wrong and that's fine, but it's what common sense is leading me to believe.  I don't think Wavering Radiant needed a remaster nearly as much as Oceanic did, but I can process a little change as an adult so I think I'll be okay.

39 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

i'm pretttttttttttty sure though that the original release was also re-mastered for vinyl.  That's why I'm curious.  2 different vinyl remasters?  but whyyyyyyyyy

Arron Turner said on his instagram page that "mika did a great job with the remaster and its a huge improvement." So i am going to go with that it was remastered again. 

27 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

So you have extra incentive to buy this (again) after 7 years, if you were lucky enough to grab a copy from 2009?  Considering how much time has passed, the remastering of Oceanic and Panopticon in very recent years, and the inclusion of the words "remastered" and "re-cut" in the product description, after all this time... I'm fairly confident it's an entirely new press and will sound audibly different.  I could be entirely wrong and that's fine, but it's what common sense is leading me to believe.  I don't think Wavering Radiant needed a remaster nearly as much as Oceanic did, but I can process a little change as an adult so I think I'll be okay.

Word yeah that's why I was asking...  curious about other peoples' thoughts on whether this will actually be a new sound. 

I'm not a fan of the Oceanic remaster, actually.  Nor that of Celestial's remaster.  They took all the swampy wet-ness out of it, and cleaned it up too much.  Part of what made those early records so great was the swollen analog squish of it, if that makes any sense to you.  Specifically, they took away the pumping sound of the drums on Celestial; it's a recording technique where (the way I remember reading it) the input level is a bit too high and you don't get a full decay of the sustain before the next attack comes, sort of.  You can hear the effect pretty good on Glisten, the way the cymbals have that weird swell where the attack seems to take a second before it fully hits you.  They sound choked off in a really cool way. 

2 minutes ago, MayCauseDeath said:

Arron Turner said on his instagram page that "mika did a great job with the remaster and its a huge improvement." So i am going to go with that it was remastered again. 

Word, see this is what I was looking for!  The album sounded pretty perfect to begin with so I'm curious how this will be different.

My bank account hurts today. 

29 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Word yeah that's why I was asking...  curious about other peoples' thoughts on whether this will actually be a new sound. 

I'm not a fan of the Oceanic remaster, actually.  Nor that of Celestial's remaster.  They took all the swampy wet-ness out of it, and cleaned it up too much.  Part of what made those early records so great was the swollen analog squish of it, if that makes any sense to you.  Specifically, they took away the pumping sound of the drums on Celestial; it's a recording technique where (the way I remember reading it) the input level is a bit too high and you don't get a full decay of the sustain before the next attack comes, sort of.  You can hear the effect pretty good on Glisten, the way the cymbals have that weird swell where the attack seems to take a second before it fully hits you.  They sound choked off in a really cool way. 

I get what you mean, and that's a fairly common "concern" or "debate" with remasters in general.  The enhanced clarity is a treat but it does sound separate from the mix you know and love, or grew up with.  It can be a mixed bag, I guess, which is a big reason I won't toss out any original pressings for a remaster.  It can be fun to alternate between them depending on your mood.

Yeah I mean because the Panopticon remaster doesn't bother me.  It doesn't sound too much different, just a little more "air" or clarity I suppose; that album had a really squished sound like Oceanic but the material lends itself better to the higher level of clarity where Oceanic still had some of the more early aggro, Celestial-esque riffing that is better suited to the swampy original mix.  And Wavering Radiant is already so clear, I'm curious how this will affect it.  The bass breakdown segments of Ghost Key and Hand of the Host are probably my favorite parts of the record and I don't want their power to be lost.  The cymbals and guitars were always a little bright for my taste on this album though, maybe they'll be warmed up a bit.

I've spent so much money on music the past few days though, I hate it.  All the Meniscus CDs, 5 LPs from TRL, and now this....

EDIT:  Also, pretty sneaky of Isis to set it up so that if you want to re-sell it for cost, you'll lose money.  No media mail option for shipping. 

Edited by Gumbo72203